What happens when cruise line cancels

khewston

I am wondering what happens when the cruise line cancels a cruise. Do they try to get you on another one of their ships that week? I know this doesn't happened often. Once you buy airfare, take your vacation time off, you're kind of stuck.

It varies. They will usually help you switch ships if there is availability. As far as airfare, hotel, you are pretty much on your own. They may offer to give you something for airfare change fee (Celebrity offered this once to us but we would have still had to pay any difference in fare. Luckily we hadn't booked flights yet), but that's never a given especially with Carnival. Just another good reason to buy trip insurance.

It varies. They will usually help you switch ships if there is availability. As far as airfare, hotel, you are pretty much on your own. They may offer to give you something for airfare change fee (Celebrity offered this once to us but we would have still had to pay any difference in fare. Luckily we hadn't booked flights yet), but that's never a given especially with Carnival. Just another good reason to buy trip insurance.

I do buy the insurance offered by the cruise line, however I book my own airfare.

Carnival did this back in 2005. When we rebooked they gave us obc and upgrade us to a better room

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I don't think they Carnival is as generous anymore. I recall seeing threads about the repositioning of ships, charters, etc. and if I remember correctly they didn't give out upgrades and I don't recall OBC. Nothing about airfare either. But I could be wrong.

Celebrity offered $100 OBC per person and $200 per person airfare change fee. We moved from the Silhouette to the Reflection. That was the year Coachella chartered the whole ship.

Happened to us once - sad day indeed. They tried to switch us but it wouldn't work (school/work schedules, etc.). We were refunded 100% and provided 50% off next cruise certificates. We had purchased 3rd party insurance that provided us with refunds on all other non-reimbursed expenses.

We were also able to book a last minute on a different cruise line - so we still had our family vacation in tact, but it was truly last minute and upsetting for a bit there.

I've never balked at travel insurance again! It's such a "small" amount compared to the $ that could be lost.

Happened to us for our cruise in 2015. Carnival gave us $100 OBC and we could pick a cruise for the same length, the same cabin category, and for the same price. At first they were offering nothing for the airfare (which was to Puerto Rico). Later they said they would give people up to $200 OBC pp with proof of paying the change fee.

But we didn't take them up on the airfare part of the offer. We used the flights to San Juan and just went on Celebrity instead. The cruise fare ended up the same. We did take them up on another cruise with the OBC. It turned out great. The new cruise was about $300 more than we ended up paying.

The bad part is that the insurance wouldn't cover the airfare. They said the airline hadn't cancelled so the flights could still be used. I always thought it would be covered. I guess you shouldn't make assumptions. I mean the only reason for the airfare was the cruise and it was cancelled by the cruise line. But surprise! Not covered! They would pay up to $75pp of the change fee which was $200pp. That's why we went with Celebrity. Some others from the cancelled cruise went on Celebrity also and some went on Royal. Some who hadn't purchased airfare went with other Carnival cruises.

Happened to us for our cruise in 2015. Carnival gave us $100 OBC and we could pick a cruise for the same length, the same cabin category, and for the same price. At first they were offering nothing for the airfare (which was to Puerto Rico). Later they said they would give people up to $200 OBC pp with proof of paying the change fee.

But we didn't take them up on the airfare part of the offer. We used the flights to San Juan and just went on Celebrity instead. The cruise fare ended up the same. We did take them up on another cruise with the OBC. It turned out great. The new cruise was about $300 more than we ended up paying.

The bad part is that the insurance wouldn't cover the airfare. They said the airline hadn't cancelled so the flights could still be used. I always thought it would be covered. I guess you shouldn't make assumptions. I mean the only reason for the airfare was the cruise and it was cancelled by the cruise line. But surprise! Not covered! They would pay up to $75pp of the change fee which was $200pp. That's why we went with Celebrity. Some others from the cancelled cruise went on Celebrity also and some went on Royal. Some who hadn't purchased airfare went with other Carnival cruises.

Which insurance did you purchase if you don't mind me asking?

I just called InsureMyTrip and was informed that cruise insurance does not cover if the ship is chartered. Only if it's due to weather, mechanical, or any other normal covered reason. You would need the "Cancel for any reason" part if you wanted to be safe.

You learn something new every day!

Which insurance did you purchase if you don't mind me asking?

I really can't remember exactly which company it was but I do have the information that says it was Unwritten by Nationwide Mutual Insurance Company. We purchased it through insuremytrip but I know it didn't say Nationwide for the name of the policy. We weren't the only people told that the airfare wasn't covered. And they had different policies. I guess you would have to ask if a certain policy would cover it. We didn't now to ask. We have only flown 2 times for a cruise and both of those were to San Juan.

The last and next cruise we have chosen Travel Insured Worldwide Trip Protector Plus because it includes cancel for any reason if purchased within 21 days. And we aren't worried about the airfare part since we are driving. So we didn't ask if it would be covered.