planning own land tour pre cruise with kids

momof3afraidofnorovirus

We plan to do 6 nights pre cruise starting from flying into Anchorage. We would like to break up the car trip but definitely would like to spend 3 nights in Denali.

Any suggestions of things to see that would appeal to kids ages 8-14? Already know visiting Jeff King is a priority. Thoughts about- Wildlife Conservation Center, Kenai Fjords Cruise, any other things you think that age might enjoy? We don't plan on doing the additional drive to Fairbanks so Denali would be the farthest we would be traveling.

For money savings- return the minivan to Anchorage then how to get to the cruise dock in Whittier?

Thanks so much to everyone on here that gives their help!

if you have any hotel suggestions that allow 5 in a room that is helpful as well!

Lodging in the Denali area: http://www.a1cms.com/_dcc/accommodations/

At Denali: Use the shuttle buses to get into the park: https://www.nps.gov/dena/planyourvisit/shuttles.htm

I love the Alaska Wildlife Conservation Center and think it's a great stop. If you make it to Seward, the Alaska Sealife Center is also good.

6 nights is a little tight for making it to Denali & Seward, but doable. You exact itinerary will depend on your arrival time into Anchorage...

Anchorage to Whittier: my favorite way would be the Alaska Railroad. Otherwise there's plenty of bus transfers.

With only 6 days, a visit to Denali AND Seward is going to mean some long days on the road, especially if you are returning a car to Anchorage and booking a transfer to Whittier on day 6.

I would suggest Denali then the Girdwood area for the remaining days. Girdwood is less than an hour south of Anchorage and provides many sights and activities. In addition to the Wildlife Center, there's gold panning, tram at Alyeska Resort, Portage Lake/Glacier, hike to the snow at Byron Glacier. Suggested stopping points are listed in the Scenic Drive for TURNAGAIN ARM in the attached link. http://www.alaska.org/things-to-do/scenic-drives

If you look at the other Scenic Drives you might a location that you prefer over Girdwood. ie Matanuska Glacier for an ice trek, white water rafting, then a hike at Independence Mine.

You could substitute a Prince William Sound cruise out of Whittier for the Kenai cruise. Many transfers will get you to Whiiter in time for the PWS cruise. This vendor has been positively reviewed in many trip reports.

https://alaskacruisetransfer.com/schedule/

There is a free sled dog demo at Denali. Usually at 10am, 2 and 4pm.

https://www.nps.gov/dena/planyourvisit/kennels.htm

The Denali Newsletter has info on ranger led hikes, shuttles, exhibits, hiking trails, etc

https://www.nps.gov/dena/learn/news/newspaper.htm

Have you considered renting an RV for the week instead? Its nice to have your kitchen, bedroom and bathroom with you at all times, esp with hungry kids.

Otherwise cabins will be a good alternative for a family of 5. Most will have a small kitchenette so you can bring a small cooler of drinks and snacks in the car with you and enjoy in the evenings.

Edited by mapleleaves

We plan to do 6 nights pre cruise starting from flying into Anchorage. We would like to break up the car trip but definitely would like to spend 3 nights in Denali.

Any suggestions of things to see that would appeal to kids ages 8-14? Already know visiting Jeff King is a priority. Thoughts about- Wildlife Conservation Center, Kenai Fjords Cruise, any other things you think that age might enjoy? We don't plan on doing the additional drive to Fairbanks so Denali would be the farthest we would be traveling.

For money savings- return the minivan to Anchorage then how to get to the cruise dock in Whittier?

Thanks so much to everyone on here that gives their help!

if you have any hotel suggestions that allow 5 in a room that is helpful as well!

Denali is great, definitely do one of the bus tours into the park. I liked the Tundra Wilderness tour because it goes so far into the park but I did notice that some of the younger kids(teens) were glued to their phones for the last few hours.

Take a tour transfers from Anchorage to Whittier and it will stop at the Conservation center and drop your luggage right at the dock. It's painless.

Personally, I found the 3.5 hour drive to/from Denali to fly by quickly. We stopped at both the north and south observation points and got to see the mountain.

I don't know your itinerary but get out of Anchorage as fast as you can. It's a waste of precious time, there is so much better stuff to see.

You can stop at the Iditarod Center on your way to Denali and see some sled dogs and take a ride if you're so inclined. There were some puppies when we went. It's probably only about 5 minutes out of the way.

http://thewellrats.com/malbor2/alaska/Iditarod.jpg

http://thewellrats.com/malbor2/alaska/dogteam.jpg

http://thewellrats.com/malbor2/alaska/puppies.jpg

Have fun! I loved Denali and the Cruise.

You can click through some of my pics here: http://thewellrats.com/malbor2/alaska/

We just returned from our southbound Radiance Cruise (which was terrific!). I had asked this forum for recommendations for pre-cruise activities near Anchorage and got some great advice.

We spent one day driving south from Anchorage along Turnagain arm. There are several pull over areas for great pics/viewing. Filled our water bottles from the spring water coming out at mile marker 109.

We didn't see belugas while making the drive south in our rental car, but did see them from the train when we were southbound to Seward to start the cruise. I would definitely watch for them - they looked like white caps in the water.

The Conservation Center is a great place to visit, even though part of it is under construction.

We drove up to Aleyeska and hiked the Winner Creek Trail from the lodge to the hand tram. It was a moderate-level hike (not nearly as difficult as climbing Flat Top Mountain) and I think about 5 miles round trip. It's a beautiful hike and I saw several families with kids. We had awesome halibut in Girdwood at the Chair 5 restaurant.

Be sure and research the bore tide if you make the drive along Turnagain arm. We found a tide schedule and were able to watch it come in from one of the pull over areas.

There was a creek where we stopped to watch people fishing for salmon...maybe Bird Creek? that was pretty interesting.

Heading back to Anchorage, we stopped at Potter's Marsh and walked along the boardwalk.

I hope your trip is as wonderful and memorable as ours!

How did you decide to do land cruise before rather than after?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I would think that the cruise portion would be relaxing after the land portion...

Also I think the flight home would be easier (shorter) from Seattle - assuming that is the end point or if you take the train/bus down from Vancouver.

I'll offer more efficient suggestions.

Consider 2 nights at Denali- you can get INTO the park one day, and no, I never recommend the TWT, mentioned above. Instead book the shuttle bus to Eielson. Especially with your kid ages- the "tour" bus, is a very costly mistake- the shuttle would be free for all the kids. :) http://www.reservedenali.com/play/shuttle-buses/eielson-visitor-center.aspx

add a night in the Palmer area, then Matansurska guided hiking- on the glacier. :)

Returning through Anchorage, change cars and pick up a one way Avis , Anchorage/Whittier car. Before you dismiss this due to costs, give the superior itinerary a thought. This makes significantly better use of your time, and eliminating backtracking.

From Anchorage, (Girdwood) head to Seward, with one overnight. plenty to see and do, Exit Glacier, Kenai Fjords boat tours are a top varied wildlife choice. Alaska Sealife center as mentioned, (along with the ability to stop- at the Wildlife Conservatory).

Another top touring choice- is a Prince William Sound boat tour, which is easy to include if of interest. Otherwise, do not be in rush to get on a cruise ship. :) Could add the Conservatory and Portage Glacier Visitor Center, Portage Glacier boat cruise, Girdwood etc. even hiking back to the Russian River overlook, out of Cooper Landing.

I would suggest a positive look at what the one way car rental "buys" you with possibilities , instead of doing nothing waiting for transfer pickups.

We have 2 kids ages 9 & 13 and were in Alaska in July. They LOVED the Alaska Wildlife Conservation Center as did we. They also enjoyed panning for gold. I had low expectations of the gold panning, but it was actually really fun, especially when I found a decent size chunk.

• 2 weeks later...
Matanuska Glacier land owners were charging $25 per person to drive down to the glacier as of Aug 19th, 2016. We refused to pay. I would suggest Byron Glacier as a much cheaper alternative if you're near Portage. http://www.fs.usda.gov/recarea/chugach//recarea/?recid=6606&actid=50

The fare did just go up 5 bucks this year to cross the private land to access Matanuska Glacier. Still the cheapest glacier trek in Alaska you can do easily.

Most don’t make it to Bryon Glacier. They make it the one mile or so to the snow field and think that’s the glacier. The glaciers are very different with Matanuska being a far superior trek. It’s a 10 minute walk from the parking area and you’re on Matanuska Glacier, closer to an hour to reach Byron.

You missed out on an incredible opportunity.

The fare did just go up 5 bucks this year to cross the private land to access Matanuska Glacier. Still the cheapest glacier trek in Alaska you can do easily.

Most don’t make it to Bryon Glacier. They make it the one mile or so to the snow field and think that’s the glacier. The glaciers are very different with Matanuska being a far superior trek. It’s a 10 minute walk from the parking area and you’re on Matanuska Glacier, closer to an hour to reach Byron.

You missed out on an incredible opportunity.

I agree, Matanuska is a fantastic opportunity with trekking. I see, occasionally- people making claims of "refusing" to pay. In some cases in Alaska- a very poor choice. Another example are the short time visitors- that could have a far better itinerary with one way rental cars. But- nope- instead- they waste half a day- that they didn't have to begin with.

All kinds of choices, and the freedom to choose. :)

I agree, Matanuska is a fantastic opportunity with trekking. I see, occasionally- people making claims of "refusing" to pay. In some cases in Alaska- a very poor choice. Another example are the short time visitors- that could have a far better itinerary with one way rental cars. But- nope- instead- they waste half a day- that they didn't have to begin with.

All kinds of choices, and the freedom to choose. :)

We were up last week. Many guided groups were on the glacier. A fairly large moulin opened up and the guides were routing folks around it. Sheep Mountain Lodge built some new rooms, in addition to the cabins, that turned out very nice and reasonable.

• 2 weeks later...

We rented a car in Anchorage and there was no need for it. The railroad takes you where you need to go. We used the toursaver book for half priced train tickets. The train can also take you to the port.

I DEFINATELY agree to book the camper bus in Denali. I took my boys 5 and 10 on the trip to Eielson Visitors Center and back. It ended up being a 10 hour day because we spend additional time at the visitors center. They had a BLAST! It doesn't cost anywhere near the "tours" they suggest. The driver was very informative and even stopped so everyone could "walk" in the tundra. There were so many animals to see because you go farther into the park. Just make sure to pack food!

My moms favorite part of the trip was the Kenai Fjords NP boat trip. We used Major Marine and they were great. There was a NP Ranger on board who did many hands on activities with the kids. We did the 7.5 hour trip. My mom was not looking forward to getting off the boat and onto another boat for that long. She now tells everyone to do it.

I don't think you can go wrong as long as you have fun!

• 1 month later...
My moms favorite part of the trip was the Kenai Fjords NP boat trip. We used Major Marine and they were great. There was a NP Ranger on board who did many hands on activities with the kids. We did the 7.5 hour trip. My mom was not looking forward to getting off the boat and onto another boat for that long. She now tells everyone to do it.

So your kids were OK with the 7.5 hour cruise? I'm looking at the Kenai Fjords 6 hour, the Major Marine 6 hour, or the Major Marine 7.5 hour. The ranger is definitely a draw for Major Marine. My kids like wildlife, but just don't know if it'll be too long for them.

So your kids were OK with the 7.5 hour cruise? I'm looking at the Kenai Fjords 6 hour, the Major Marine 6 hour, or the Major Marine 7.5 hour. The ranger is definitely a draw for Major Marine. My kids like wildlife, but just don't know if it'll be too long for them.

The time goes by rather quickly and you're busy looking for and at sealife. Even as you leave the Bay you can be watching for otters, or you swing by the shore to look at an eagles nest, or look up on the cliffs for mountain goats. And then as you get further out you're looking at rookeries, sealions, puffins, etc. And kids, especially siblings want to say "I saw it first". So bring binoculars to keep them engaged.

Also, depending on their age, the Jr Ranger Program might be a worthwhile activity. You can look at it on line, but pick it up at Exit Glacier or at their station at the Harbor.

https://www.nps.gov/kefj/planyourvisit/ranger-programs.htm

If I remember correctly, the main difference between the 6 and 7 1/2 tours is that the longer tour visits 2 glaciers. So maybe the 6 hr tour will provide enough wildlife and scenic viewing for your family??

It's kind of like the worry people have about being on the bus at Denali for 8 hrs. But the time goes by quickly because you're constantly on the lookout for wildlife and enjoying the scenery.

Edited by mapleleaves