Celebrity vs Carnival and NCL

woohoobaby

Carnival is the budget cruise line of Carnival brands. Of the Carnival brands, the most similar to Celebrity would be Princess. There is nothing "fancy" about Carnival. Wal*Mart / Holiday Inn or whatever you want to liken it to, I suppose they would say great value for your vacation dollar. It's great for young families as kids programs are strong and they provide decent hangouts for teens as well.

I haven't been on Carnival in many years but I have been on NCL, and yes, the dress code is fancier on Celebrity. They don't have formal nights anymore but have replaced those with Evening Chic, which basically seems to mean just dress a little nicer than the other nights. Smart Casual is the dress code for most nights, and you'll find that cruisers "clean up" for dinner with the men wearing perhaps khakis, the ladies capris or slacks or a sundress, and nice jeans are fine for both men and women. No shorts allowed at night in the dining rooms and this seems to be enforced, but you're free to eat in the buffet if you want to stay in your shorts. Overall, the ambiance on Celebrity is quieter, more relaxed and dignified than the other two lines.

You won't find belly flop or hairy chests contests on Celebrity. The constant announcements - bingo in 30 min's, only 10 minutes to trivia, etc don't happen on Celebrity; there is 1 announcement a day.

Unless it is a holiday there are far fewer kids on celebrity and no water slides, mini-golf, etc.

I like Celebrity, NCL and Carnival (newer ships). I've never had a bad vacation...because I'm on vacation!

Each line has something to offer. Celebrity has an upscale, refined feel with a great Martini Bar. NCL has a lot of dining venues to choose from and a fun duelling pianos venue. Carnival is great for kids (my son prefers their teen club) and I love the comedy club. At night I feel Carnival and NCL have more things to do...parties on the deck, etc...but I can lounge with a glass of wine at one of the Celebrity bars no problem. You can have a great time on any of the lines, and things aren't perfect on any of them.

It's just my opinion but if travelling with kids I would choose Carnival or NCL. I think Celebrity would be a big on the boring side for kids.