Harmony Marseilles

We were there last year and would have loved to see the Basilique Notre Dame de la Garde (church).

We had another tour and there wasn't time. It's the highest point and you should have good views all around. You can see the entire city and port from there.

I read that the bus should cost less than 5 euro round trip per person.

It's worth getting off for a couple of hours.

I suggest "playing it by the ear" :)

When I was there, a free shuttle was provided by the city of Marseille, necessitating a 15 min walk from the ship. The shuttle left us near a metro/bus station. That day the taxis were on strike against Uber, but this also is an option on a "normal" day.

We enjoyed walking from the drop off point to the "Old City", from there we took the "Petit train" to the church mentioned above, enjoyed the views, took the train back, and had a nice lunch. The train's journey in itself was very nice.

After lunch, we took a bus to the drop off point, and then the shuttle.

You don't have to decide now:)....

We arrived in Marseilles on the day of an European Soccer Championship match between Ukraine and Poland. When I arrived in town things were pretty calm between the two. After exploring the town and returning to the pick up area back to the ship I had to pass through an area that the fans congratulated in. I sensed things were getting out of hand and hurried past them. As I passed a fight broke out and the police quickly moved in to break it up by setting off tear gas. As luck would have it the wind was blowing directly in my path and I got a good whiff of the tear gas. Not a pleasant experience.

Have said all of that I had a wonderful lunch in town and would gladly return to do it again.

Shak

image_zpsg7zgumkx.jpeg

With 3 long tours in Italy we are thinking of staying on the ship in Marseilles for an extra "sea" day. Is there anything we really shouldn't miss on shore?

FOOD!

Bouillabaisse was invented here!

Go eat!

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Attractions-g187253-Activities-c36-Marseille_Bouches_du_Rhone_Provence.html

We walked up to the church from the harbor, probably take the train next time if we could find it.

You'll find it in the Old Harbor (Vieux Port), and it is fun indeed :)

Fun train - Petit train

http://www.petit-train-marseille.com/circuits-petit-train-marseille-en.html

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Review-g187253-d2235787-Reviews-Petit_Train_Marseille-Marseille_Bouches_du_Rhone_Provence.html