Bear viewing in Ketchikan

iKarenE

We are taking the NCL Sun from Vancouver to Seward with a stop in Ketchikan. There are 3 bear viewing tours listed. One had poor reviews and the other two looked comparable. Is there any feedback and which would be the better one? One goes to Neets Bay via floatplane and the other just says float plane to meet guide at a trail head and then a viewing platform to a spawning stream where the bears catch the fish. Does anyone have any experiences with these two tours offered through NCL? There is a $30 difference and the time is 3 - 3 1/4 hours. We are going mid August 2017 (I like to plan ahead LOL) Thanks

There are 3 main viewing locations out of Ketchikan. This link has an overview of each location and provides links for additional information.

http://www.experienceketchikan.com/bear-viewing-in-alaska.html

Use SEARCH THIS FORUM with the word NEETS, or TRAITOR, or ANAN. There were some excellent writeup/photos of Anan in last year trip reports. You'll find them when you use the SEARCH function.

I, too, am traveling on the NCL Sun, but have opted to do a private excursion. I don't book excursions from cruise lines as I prefer to have a more personal experience and save some $$ at the same time. Although, this excursion isn't cheaper, and is a small group due to the float plane Anan is rated as one of the top places to view bears in Alaska, so I don't mind paying more.

I am "tentatively" booked with Island Wings for July 5th. (awaiting passes to be issued in October) Peak viewing season opens the day we arrive it Ketchikan.... so God willing.. the bears will be there! Seeing bears is on my bucket list of things to do in Alaska. I have read many reports from other CC-- and they have seen them in early July.

Tripadvisor and CC are great resources to get reviews about companies so you don't limit yourself to excursions offered by the cruise lines. I have saved as much as 50% on the identical excursion, by booking independently, and with much smaller groups. These vendors livelihood depend on their reputation, so they are excellent about the quality of their excursion and the timeliness of returning you back to the ship on time

I have some guidelines I use. I consult the Alaska Fish and game site for PEAK viewing opportunities. I never go on costly tours, on the fringe. I also never, go to "unnamed" tour areas, which is an example above.

Also above, with reference to Anan, frankly, flight vendors, are giving transportation, only. Vendors- get an allotment of Anan permits. They also can be obtained direct. Getting caught up in the "favorite" vendor thinking , in the case of Anan, is shooting yourself in the foot on availability. This is a place, where it is MORE important to get that permit. How you get there and back is insignificant in my opinion.

With the OP reference- this time frame, has peak at Traitor's and Neets. Viewing opportunities are are probably similar. I have been to both multiple times, with Traitor's my preference. My bias about Neets, is the shortened time, compared to my first tours there. I also, contract for Traitor's for my preferences, which are "more" than what the "tours" offer. TIME is the single most important factor. More, always equals more opportunity. Yes, it's costly- I don't care, and it's insignificant to me, for what it "buys" me. :)

Okay, so we are going early August. My grandson has said he wants to see the bears and has heard they hang out by streams. :D We are in Ketchikan Wednesday, August 8th from 7 am to 3 pm. This seems like the port we have open to do this. Otherwise it would be Skagway. We are there Friday, the 11th from 7 am to 8:30 pm. My current plans are to do the White Pass Rail in Skagway on the early train and getting in some quality gold panning.

Therefore, what do you recommend as the best bear thing for Ketchikan? There will be a total of 6 of us, 4 of which are children.

Okay, so we are going early August. My grandson has said he wants to see the bears and has heard they hang out by streams. :D We are in Ketchikan Wednesday, August 8th from 7 am to 3 pm. This seems like the port we have open to do this. Otherwise it would be Skagway. We are there Friday, the 11th from 7 am to 8:30 pm. My current plans are to do the White Pass Rail in Skagway on the early train and getting in some quality gold panning.

Therefore, what do you recommend as the best bear thing for Ketchikan? There will be a total of 6 of us, 4 of which are children.

I'd suggest a charter with a private guide, to Traitors. Anan and Neets are other possibilities to consider. See what is the most available in the time slots that make the best use of your time. I use Southeast Aviation.

I'd suggest a charter with a private guide, to Traitors. Anan and Neets are other possibilities to consider. See what is the most available in the time slots that make the best use of your time. I use Southeast Aviation.

Thanks so much Budget Queen. We don't go until next August so I'm sure it is pretty wide open. Except for people like me that really book in advance.

We are taking the NCL Sun from Vancouver to Seward with a stop in Ketchikan. There are 3 bear viewing tours listed. One had poor reviews and the other two looked comparable. Is there any feedback and which would be the better one? One goes to Neets Bay via floatplane and the other just says float plane to meet guide at a trail head and then a viewing platform to a spawning stream where the bears catch the fish. Does anyone have any experiences with these two tours offered through NCL? There is a $30 difference and the time is 3 - 3 1/4 hours. We are going mid August 2017 (I like to plan ahead LOL) Thanks

We are going late July 2017 & planned a private Bear Excursion with Family Air to Anan Creek.

This is what Explore Ketchikan says about bear viewing

Anan Wildlife Observatory Early July to Mid-August

Traitors Cove/Margaret Creek Late July to Early September

Neets Cove Late July to Early September

Herring Cove Mid June to Early September

Based on what you wrote & my interpretation of it, I'd take the Neets bay excursion. (The other one sounds like Anan, but you trip is scheduled for the end of the viewing at that area.)

Don't worry about the savings - saving $30 & not seeing any bears because you are too late for that area isn't really a savings in my book.

Yes, Ketchikan over Skagway for bears. (I don't recall seeing any bear tours out of Skagway, but on our car tour we did see the backside of one bear in the Yukon.)