Tips from local New Yorkers

You all were so helpful to me on my last trip to NYC last fall, I'd thought I'd turn to the experts again. I'm traveling with my mom and daughter. (72 and 16) mom wants to stop by the Today show in The Plaza. Any tips for us? Where to stand, which street to enter on? Were staying at the Marriott Marquis Times Square. Mom is active and up for walking. Also, we have no Interest in getting there at 5a, we just want to see it. If that makes any sense.

This is, oddly, one of those things that actual long-time New Yorkers probably know less about than visitors. I had no idea, and none of my friends did, either, but I found this for you: http://visit.today.com/ It appears you RSVP about your visit and go through a security screening (leave the knives at home, I guess). Hope this helps and that you have fun.

Edited by Langoustine

This is, oddly, one of those questions that actual long-time New Yorkers probably know less about than visitors. I had no idea, and none of my friends did, either, but I found this for you: http://visit.today.com/ It appears you RSVP about your visit and go through a security screening (leave the knives at home, I guess). Hope this helps and that you have fun.

Kind of like asking a New Yorker what to visit in Times Square... (although we spent Saturday night at the Marquis Marriott and plan to do the same over Thanksgiving). My family asks us all the time if we've been to Today (or GMA) and we tend to lump that with hanging out in the cattle pens on New Year's Eve!

Kind of like asking a New Yorker what to visit in Times Square... (although we spent Saturday night at the Marquis Marriott and plan to do the same over Thanksgiving). My family asks us all the time if we've been to Today (or GMA) and we tend to lump that with hanging out in the cattle pens on New Year's Eve!

Ah, Times Square. My wife and I live two blocks west of there in a quiet residential neighborhood (which now seems to be listed in every European guidebook) called Hell's Kitchen, and avoid Times Square itself unless absolutely necessary to get to a Broadway show. The costumed characters and the desnudas are the latest scourge. (Some people actually miss the 70's, when the area was hideously run-down and dangerous, because there were fewer tourists and it was easier to get around---the hookers and drug dealers seldom bothered the locals.) I love living here (40+ years), but I'd rather eat a rat than spend NYE in the pens.

Thank you all. I live in Chicago and get similar tourist question of which I haven't a clue how to answer. I really was wondering what streets do you think I should enter the plaza? Is there a "secret back street" that you'd think is better than another street. No biggie, but thanks anyway. :)

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I really was wondering what streets do you think I should enter the plaza? Is there a "secret back street" that you'd think is better than another street.

You need to look at the website link I posted, as there is a specific street you MUST use to enter, if you want to get up close, along with other useful information.

Edited by Langoustine

If you want to avoid show crowd, after the morning show is over (7a and the later extended one they call Today something) they leave the window unblocked and you can look in at the set during the rest of the day into the evening.

Just a suggestion, as a New Yorker I've been to SNL taping but not morning show, though you will find me passing thru on the subway at Rockefeller Center on the way to work, never above ground.

And keep in mind who might be performing (or not) on the plaza. Depending on who's there the day you plan to visit, I've seen crowds only a couple of people deep and on occasion, a couple of blocks deep.

I have walked by Rockefeller Center and the plaza a couple times in the morning while they were taping. Outside of summer time I was surprised how few people are actually there. They make it seem like it is a huge crowd when you see it on TV, but when it isn't hot and the middle of summer, there aren't that many people out there during the taping. I also don't know how interesting it would actually be if they didn't have one of their concerts going on.

New Yorkers tend to avoid a lot of the tapings going on. Personally I've been to some of the less popular TV shows being taped and it can be fun and is free. For example I went to the taping of Full Frontal with Samantha Bee a couple months ago and it was a lot of fun. There are a number of shows that get taped that don't attract the huge crowds like some of the late night comedians get.