Panama Canal cruise in June?

SadieC

Just retired from 34 years teaching and wanting to do something a little different! Have been long time Celebrity cruisers, and have heard wonderful things about Oceania and would love to check it out (particularly the food!:D)

Have been looking at the Panama Canal sailings and the only one available to book now with a suite is June 6 LA to Miami. Any thoughts on what that might be like? I've read that October to April is optimal....

it will be really HOT & humid

it was hot in Jan, Feb & march when we have done the trip cannot imagine the summer there :eek:

What about just a PH cabin would that work if no suites available ??

I would do a Feb or March sailing if you can

Edited by LHT28

1. opressive heat and humidity

2. Midst of tropical storm season... lots of rain

3. vacation time for Kids.... chance for a lot

June might be great for a trans-atlantic or a Northern europe and Alaska is great then.... or Trans pacific australia or New Zealand

That might be why the suite is so reasonable! How hot is hot?? Is there any shade on suite balconies (Sirena)?

Yes there is shade on all balconies to some extent, depending on time of day

Hot is like 99 degrees with 98% humidity... fells like 110-115F The heat is one thing the Humidity is the killer... a steam bath and its is day and night that way... open the door at 3 am and it hits you like a baseball bat

That might be why the suite is so reasonable! How hot is hot?? Is there any shade on suite balconies (Sirena)?

You can check the temps in each port for this yr & past yrs for June

I know it may vary by yr but it will give you an idea

http://www.accuweather.com/en/us/miami-fl/33128/june-weather/347936?monyr=6/1/2016

I would not think there is much shade

what type of suite are you looking at?

OS or VS?

Maybe the deck 6 OS would have a bit of shade but the heat is still there ;)

On Marina or Riveria, in a B-3 7008... Did the canal in May, lots of rain. but that cabin had shade going through the canal, When in the locks you could , if you wanted too step off onto the side... your at perfect level with the top edge, has a great conversation with one of the towengines/mules and the cabin being on Port was shaded perfect and still had room for 2 chaise and 3 chairs and a table too!!! better than a suite

Port side will from LA give you morning sun but evening shade all the way throught the canal Past the canal port will give you morning shade and evening.afternoon sun after you pass Cozumel/Grand Caymen

Edited by Hawaiidan

Thanks everyone!! Decided to wait and try another time. With both of us retired now, we have the leisure of not always having to travel with everyone else around school holidays...which I'm very much looking forward too!!

Just got excited when I saw all the amazing deals!!! Have an elderly dog who is sadly terminal and the June date was attractive that way, as it's still a ways off.

I also prefer to cruise w fewer children (I love mine own, but others'...?). We recently cruised on Marina's Copenhagen 21 June departure. There were some kids (all ages), but I must say all were well behaved and unobtrusive.

Enjoy your cruise!

Sent from my iPad using Forums