door decorating

gene g

We have used painters tape in the past- no residue left on door. But lately I have found removable decorations or scene sheets at a hobby store. They cling to the door & come back down easily. I embellished this sheet at home to make it personal. I got quite a few comments on my door décor for my last cruise.

Would cling decorations be okay? It doesn't need any adhesives so I think yes, but it's unclear.

I checked my door decorating group for info on the clings. Apparently, gel clings will bleed through, but they can be mounted to posterboard and then the posterboard mounted using command strips.

If you are looking at window clings (the sticker like ones with no adhesive) they don't stick to the doors. Someone had some luck applying some water to the backside, but most members said they fall off.

Edited by Carnival_Brides

8516dc040a3b0a47e65b6b4e181006b5.jpg

We decorate every cruise! We get poster paper from hobby lobby - it's the right width and cover the whole door. Then we open the peephole. We put all the decorations on the paper and use regular tape.

It's fun to have people come by and look at it!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I understand wanting to put a few things up on the outer door especially if you have kids and want to help them ID the room or just for fun. But honestly some of the decorating goes way over the top and not in an good way. It has to be a huge pain for the crew members to deal with and I bet behind the scenes it's a major complaint of theirs and no they shouldn't have to deal with it. It's hard enough to get in out of the # of rooms they have to clean in the short amount of time they have without worrying about their cleaning supplies or vacuum cleaner getting too close to someone "art" and tearing it up. You know a lot of people leave their decorations behind too because I've seen doors decorated as we were leaving, I doubt they took them off last second since everyone was already getting off the ship so they have to clear it all out that's even more work for them.

I think if you are going to do it, be considerate, that's all.

Edited by poobears

I don't know why this always becomes a debate. We always take ours down the last night of our cruise, it's part of our packing up on the last day. So nothing for the steward to deal with. What we use, I have found at hobby lobby or a party goods store. They are like clings in the fact that you don't need tape or anything to hold them up, then they peel right off at the end of our cruise. It's fun & an easy way for us to recognize our own cabin down a hallway of identical doors.

I have even seen Carnival have door decorating contests, so it must not be against the rules.

We decorate every cruise! We get poster paper from hobby lobby - it's the right width and cover the whole door. Then we open the peephole. We put all the decorations on the paper and use regular tape.

It's fun to have people come by and look at it!

Out of curiosity, how do you manage to get all of your supplies on board without tearing them up? Especially the full door piece. Do you fold it, put it inside something?

I'm not a decorative type of guy, but I'm sure if I saw decorated doors, I'd smile. Nice job on yours. :)

Out of curiosity, how do you manage to get all of your supplies on board without tearing them up? Especially the full door piece. Do you fold it, put it inside something?

I'm not a decorative type of guy, but I'm sure if I saw decorated doors, I'd smile. Nice job on yours. :)

Thank you! We carry it on board ourselves. Just in a tote with all other other decorations. Scissors in my carry on (we really just take school scissors lol). One of the kids usually brings it so the first thing we do is decorate and then run around the ship. It's not that wide. I believe it's about 24 in wide so it's not a hassle to carry. We also one time

Put it in our luggage and it didn't bend but it took too long to get our luggage so we decided to bring onboard. Here's one we did for NYE last December and we had a daily countdown . 7ac598283d2e966a67577e43ae97464a.jpg

I don't know why this always becomes a debate. We always take ours down the last night of our cruise, it's part of our packing up on the last day. So nothing for the steward to deal with. What we use, I have found at hobby lobby or a party goods store. They are like clings in the fact that you don't need tape or anything to hold them up, then they peel right off at the end of our cruise. It's fun & an easy way for us to recognize our own cabin down a hallway of identical doors.

I have even seen Carnival have door decorating contests, so it must not be against the rules.

I agree. Our decorations are all on the paper we put on the door so it takes us about 15 min to take it all down. Would probably take less time but I like to recycle some of the decor so have to be careful taking off.

Our stewards have always loved it and they do appreciate that we take everything off the door.

Thank you! We carry it on board ourselves. Just in a tote with all other other decorations. Scissors in my carry on (we really just take school scissors lol). One of the kids usually brings it so the first thing we do is decorate and then run around the ship. It's not that wide. I believe it's about 24 in wide so it's not a hassle to carry. We also one time

Put it in our luggage and it didn't bend but it took too long to get our luggage so we decided to bring onboard. Here's one we did for NYE last December and we had a daily countdown . 7ac598283d2e966a67577e43ae97464a.jpg

Okay that's cute! My kids would LOVE decorating our door. Wouldn't look as nice as yours as they are 5 and 2 lol, but maybe we will do something they colored and the clings

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Sorry. 10 cruises and we've always used reg tape which does not leave a residue when you tape to the metal. Never had an issue w crew members saying otherwise. I understand your concern though.

It absolutely does leave residue, you just can't see it. All of those things hanging and posted on the wall? Good lord.

I don't know why this always becomes a debate.

Because this is cruise critic and EVERYTHING becomes a debate. If a cruise line started giving every passenger 2 free shore excursions on every cruise there would be a fight over why it was two instead of three! :D

If YOU can't see it neither can anyone from the cruise line!:p

It does build up and a room steward is not going to say anything for fear of tips being pulled.

A months ago Carnival put out specific guidelines asking passengers to NOT use reg tape, NOT put things on the walls, and NOT have decorations protrude from the walls. Seems straightforward to me.

It does build up and a room steward is not going to say anything for fear of tips being pulled.

A months ago Carnival put out specific guidelines asking passengers to NOT use reg tape, NOT put things on the walls, and NOT have decorations protrude from the walls. Seems straightforward to me.

Wow such negativity. To each his own- we've had so many compliments from stewards AND passengers that we bring extra to share - yes that means MORE people with decorations! [emoji3][emoji3]. We are on vacay and are happy to be on it me want to spread joy to others. Yep we proudly get gaudy and were ok with that. It's a good thing you don't live in our neighborhood - you'd hate our Christmas yard decorations! [emoji8] have a great day! Here's one more - one of our first NYE cruises. 43fb6ab9dc4255ff3a185b3683c1a59a.jpg

Wow such negativity. To each his own- we've had so many compliments from stewards AND passengers that we bring extra to share - yes that means MORE people with decorations! [emoji3][emoji3]. We are on vacay and are happy to be on it me want to spread joy to others. Yep we proudly get gaudy and were ok with that. It's a good thing you don't live in our neighborhood - you'd hate our Christmas yard decorations! [emoji8] have a great day! Here's one more - one of our first NYE cruises. 43fb6ab9dc4255ff3a185b3683c1a59a.jpg

Not negativity but just saying what Carnival's rules are but then again nobody on Carnival follows rules anyway, so have at it.