Acceptable attire for child in MDR

We plan on having a few dinners with our 7 y/o boy in the MDR. I'm hoping to get 3 family dinners in, and the other nights he will probably be going to adventure ocean.

I have ordered him a tan suit for formal night (vest and bow tie, he's going to look so stinking cute :)<3)

For the "smart casual" nights, I was wondering if these shorts with a collared shirt and "dessy" sandals would be appropriate. I believe shorts are not allowed on adults, but I am unsure if this applies to children as well.

TIA!!!

1471805177525.jpg.8b34fe36f7698fd5d6c1c65225a568ec.jpg

We plan on having a few dinners with our 7 y/o boy in the MDR. I'm hoping to get 3 family dinners in, and the other nights he will probably be going to adventure ocean.

I have ordered him a tan suit for formal night (vest and bow tie, he's going to look so stinking cute :)<3)

For the "smart casual" nights, I was wondering if these shorts with a collared shirt and "dessy" sandals would be appropriate. I believe shorts are not allowed on adults, but I am unsure if this applies to children as well.

TIA!!!

The fact is, there is no enforcement of any dress code.

What you have in mind will be fine.

The fact is, there is no enforcement of any dress code.

What you have in mind will be fine.

I know they don't enforce it, but I don't want to be "that person" getting looks if you know what I mean :D

Glad you think these will be fine, it's hard for me pass up a sale LOL

I know they don't enforce it, but I don't want to be "that person" getting looks if you know what I mean :D

Glad you think these will be fine, it's hard for me pass up a sale LOL

Your 7 year old WILL look adorable in that outfit. No worries.

TIA!!!

He will probably be sharper dressed than some people!

My 10 yr old son wore pants (khaki or navy) with a collared shirt (polo or button down) each night, and on formal night he wore a tie with button down shirt (no jacket).

It seemed very appropriate. And in some cases, he was better dressed than some adults. It didn't seem (at least on the Liberty) like dress code was enforced at all, given the t-shirts and basketball shorts they allowed in the MDR.

My 10 yr old son wore pants (khaki or navy) with a collared shirt (polo or button down) each night, and on formal night he wore a tie with button down shirt (no jacket).

It seemed very appropriate. And in some cases, he was better dressed than some adults. It didn't seem (at least on the Liberty) like dress code was enforced at all, given the t-shirts and basketball shorts they allowed in the MDR.

Of this I am sure....see highlighted section

yep, sounds like you got it under control... the biggest problem people seem to have is just not looking sloppy...true the dress code has become a little lax, but it's pretty bad what people are getting away with. I know some people don't like to "dress up" but I'd hardly call an nice pair of slacks, and a button up with nice shoes "dressing up" and some people can't even manage that.

We're doomed.

yep, sounds like you got it under control... the biggest problem people seem to have is just not looking sloppy...true the dress code has become a little lax, but it's pretty bad what people are getting away with. I know some people don't like to "dress up" but I'd hardly call an nice pair of slacks, and a button up with nice shoes "dressing up" and some people can't even manage that.

We're doomed.

I totally agree!!! IMO, shorts like this on men should be fine, it's all about how you present your self. A nice, pressed pair of khakis (pants or shorts) with a collared shirt and decent pair of shoes is perfect for a smart casual night... formal night, go to the windjammer or specialty restaurant :D

I totally agree!!! IMO, shorts like this on men should be fine, it's all about how you present your self. A nice, pressed pair of khakis (pants or shorts) with a collared shirt and decent pair of shoes is perfect for a smart casual night... formal night, go to the windjammer or specialty restaurant :D

We're doomed.

The problem comes down to definitions. For me, khakis and a button-up shirt is formal dining, that's what I would wear on a formal night or to a very nice restaurant at home. We are stepping it up a bit for our cruise on the Anthem and adding a tie, just because we aren't sure what to expect since the Grande is a separate restaurant, but to my personal definition smart casual just means no screen printed t-shirts, a-shirts, gym shorts, etc. I wear nice blue jeans and a shirt that doesn't have a saying or image printed on it for smart casual nights. Formal would be khakis or suit pants instead of jeans and a collared shirt.

I do feel flip flops, sweats, gym shorts, swim suits, and similar items are never appropriate in the MDR, but beyond that for smart casual nights I don't see anything as wrong.

I do own a suit and I know how to wear it, but I personally can't imagine wearing it to a meal. I wore it to my wedding and to my sisters wedding, but lost the jacket and tie before the reception each time, and I wore it to a handful of first job interviews, but always dressed down for second and third interviews since the hiring managers usually made jokes about me showing up in a suit. The CEO and a couple of sales managers are the only people I've ever seen in a suit at my last three jobs, and even then they only wore one when meeting big clients or for board meetings.

In my world a suit is reserved for the most extremely formal settings where I will be front and center, i.e. a wedding where I'm part of the party, a funeral where I am getting up to talk, or a ceremony where I am giving or receiving an award. The idea, to me personally, of including a restaurant of any type in that short list is unfathomable. I have no problem with people wearing suits, but I just can't imagine doing so myself.