red chips on chairs to prevent pool hogs?

luckyinpa

I think chair hogging could be cut way down if they'd have staff enforce that in the morning, NOBODY may put their things on a chair and walk away - and especially not on multiple chairs.

The second big problem I find is later in the day when there are many chairs with just a used towel on them. I have no problem taking these chairs when there are no other belongings present.

I think chair hogging could be cut way down if they'd have staff enforce that in the morning, NOBODY may put their things on a chair and walk away - and especially not on multiple chairs.

The second big problem I find is later in the day when there are many chairs with just a used towel on them. I have no problem taking these chairs when there are no other belongings present.

So I cant set my stuff in a chair and walk away to the bar or jump into the pool?

So I cant set my stuff in a chair and walk away to the bar or jump into the pool?

Yes of course... I am talking about the people who are showing up at 7-8am and going off to breakfast. Most of them don't return until 10am! Cruise lines and resorts everywhere need to just put someone out there in the morning to politely inform guests they cannot do that. When they come back ready to sit or get in the pool then they can have their chairs.

We witnessed chair hogs on Celebrity. I learned after the first at sea day to go up early. The first sea day went up about 9AM and chairs with towels all over them. Asked people is this chair taken and of course it was---by the invisible person. Finally found one a family had 'saved' but didn't need. They removed stuff and I sat there and they all got up but one to go to breakfast. There was nothing on another chair by me and a couple came by and asked if chair was taken. I said no as nobody had been there in an hour. About 30 minutes after that family came back and yelled at couple saying they'd removed stuff from chairs. They said no to the chair hogs and I did too.

Last sea day a family got up and put towels on four chairs on the top deck (this was Celebrity). They were in a bump out area where 4 chairs were. Funny in the early morning chairs were in the sun-- we sat out for a couple hours and the family finally came and discovered their prime sun loungers were in the shade. The made an employee move their chairs to the sun next to some people in front of us. We had gotten there early enough and had some space around us. The family kept watching us as we were getting ready to leave- I told my sons I wasn't leaving because I knew they wanted our chairs. My one said he'd wait and we left our towels there so they had no clue we weren't coming back. My son waited until somebody came by and asked if they need chairs---guy took all 4! My son only sat maybe 5-10 minutes with our towels on the chair (less time than we'd be at bar getting a drink). My whole point was we had nice space and chairs and I didn't think this 'entitled' family who'd been chair hogs deserved the better spot.

I just learned to get up early and by the time people were going to sit in sun about 11 we were heading in. Only once did we need 2 chairs (saw some near us with towels on them and newspaper). Waited an hour and asked the crew member to remove stuff. He did and nobody ever came back.

Thankfully this next time we are in the Haven so I'm hoping chair hogging isn't as bad--we tend to go up early and sit out.

Vince

This is so true! I was on my way for coffee early one morning ( 6 a.m.) on the Epic 2 years ago. 2 people came on deck and actually started Unstacking the chairs before the NCL deck people were finished washing the deck.

Put out 12 chairs, put everything from flip flops to books on them then left.

DW and I went to bfast at 8:30 came back about 9. Still nobody.

About 9:30 the "group" slowly started to arrive!

Probably the worst "chair hogging" I have seen .

When you guys came back at 8:30 or 9:00 were any chairs still left? If so what difference does it make whether other people got there at 1:00 am or 1 second before y'all did? Stop worrying abut stuff that doe snot impact your cruise and spend more time enjoying your vacation! :D

Yes of course... I am talking about the people who are showing up at 7-8am and going off to breakfast. Most of them don't return until 10am! Cruise lines and resorts everywhere need to just put someone out there in the morning to politely inform guests they cannot do that. When they come back ready to sit or get in the pool then they can have their chairs.

So how far away form my chair am I allowed to go before someone else is allowed to take it? How often do I have to return to my chair to make sure it is still mine? Can I take my book with me to the pool, get a chair, and then go sit on the edge of the pool with my feet in the water while I read and enjoy a drink without having to worry about some shiner taking my chair?

This whole concept of chair hogs makes me laugh. I have never had an issue finding a place to sit when I wanted to go to the pool. I may not have always been right next to the pool or hot tub but finding a chair is never a problem for our group of four.

So how far away form my chair am I allowed to go before someone else is allowed to take it? How often do I have to return to my chair to make sure it is still mine? Can I take my book with me to the pool, get a chair, and then go sit on the edge of the pool with my feet in the water while I read and enjoy a drink without having to worry about some shiner taking my chair?

This whole concept of chair hogs makes me laugh. I have never had an issue finding a place to sit when I wanted to go to the pool. I may not have always been right next to the pool or hot tub but finding a chair is never a problem for our group of four.

All of this.

We never had problems on our cruises finding loungers. We love being on the upper deck with a front row view of the ocean.

All of this.

We never had problems on our cruises finding loungers. We love being on the upper deck with a front row view of the ocean.

X 2 here. I don't know what the fuss is all about. We get up early. We grab our chairs. We stay out until early afternoon. I think most of the complaining is from cruisers that just flat out refuse to get up early enough to grab a spot, and then rant profusely because they didn't get their desired spot :rolleyes:

By all means, sleep in and enjoy your vacation but leave the people who legitimately get up early and grab their open loungers alone :D

X 2 here. I don't know what the fuss is all about. We get up early. We grab our chairs. We stay out until early afternoon. I think most of the complaining is from cruisers that just flat out refuse to get up early enough to grab a spot, and then rant profusely because they didn't get their desired spot :rolleyes:

By all means, sleep in and enjoy your vacation but leave the people who legitimately get up early and grab their open loungers alone :D

I don't mind people who get up early and grab loungers if they USE them in the MORNING! What I mind are the people who reserve the loungers at 7am and don't come back until after 1pm!

When you guys came back at 8:30 or 9:00 were any chairs still left? If so what difference does it make whether other people got there at 1:00 am or 1 second before y'all did? Stop worrying abut stuff that doe snot impact your cruise and spend more time enjoying your vacation! :D

Mighty presumptuous of you to think it impacted my cruise! We always have a good time.

It's just the ME first mentality of some people that is ridiculous nowadays!

No reason to argue about this on CC - it's the 95% of the pax that are not on CC ,and are not reading this thread that are the chair hogs anyway. :rolleyes:

But - if a time limit were to be instituted (and enforced), what would be a reasonable amount of time to have a chair "reserved" with no one using it?

Edited by Travel R

On a humors note have a timed catapult deck chair. Exceed your allotted

time and be launched into the pool - or maybe have a sliding conveyor

edging to the pools edge when times up you are dumped - chair is

recycled back at the start for a new customer.

?

omg still laughing!!! well done! hilarious!

My boyfriend is on NCL and is a deck hand. There is no way they are going to tag chairs to prevent chair hogs. If you can't beat them, join them. Make friends with the deck hands and have them save a few chairs for you. A nice tip to my boyfriend would be nice :) haha

I don't mind people who get up early and grab loungers if they USE them in the MORNING! What I mind are the people who reserve the loungers at 7am and don't come back until after 1pm!

That is an EXTREMELY rare creature. I have yet to see one. Granted I have not quite reached double digit on the cruise count, but I have yet to see anyoen svae at 7 and not come back until afternoon. In fact I have never had an issue finding a chair at all.

Mighty presumptuous of you to think it impacted my cruise! We always have a good time.

It's just the ME first mentality of some people that is ridiculous nowadays!

The fact that the YOU I was posting about are here whining about that mythological creature the chair hog. If they were not letting it impact their cruiser they would not be here whining. You are right those people that whine about thsi non-issue ARE the ME FIRST type.