Closing HMC??? Tell me it isn't so.

dulcimergirl

I'm probably in the minority, but I think an undeveloped island, without cabanas, restaurants and bars blaring music, is so much more peaceful and beautiful than what some of these private island retreats are becoming.

I feel lucky that I've spent time on several "unspoiled" isles in the Caribbean (including HMC pre-development) and the Pacific - it is a nice contrast and offers a different perspective. Put a few loungers on the beach, tie up some hammocks, and have a few latrines available for a minimalist experience. Must every port turn into Disneyland?

http://cruiseradio.net/norwegian-closing-great-stirrup-cay-two-months/

and Little Stirrup Cay is HMC

this from Cruise radio... I am in shock

OK, I've figured it out. It is Coco Cay, NOT HMC.. All is well in my world. Never mind, my bad. I panicked..

Actually, it's not even COCO CAY - it's across the sound from COCO CAY. Half Moon CAY is HOLLAND AMERICA's private Island. Holland and Norway are completely different countries. The reason that Carnival is allowed to go to Half Moon Cay is that they are owned by the same corporation. An NCL ship will not visit there.

LOL.

Trying not to be so rude but gosh, read the article carefully before posting something like this. The article clearly states NORWEGIAN and Stirrup Cay, nowhere does it even say the words Carnival or Half Moon.

Exactly.

This is how crap rumors get started.

Read carefully people. Sheesh.

I'm probably in the minority, but I think an undeveloped island, without cabanas, restaurants and bars blaring music, is so much more peaceful and beautiful than what some of these private island retreats are becoming.

I feel lucky that I've spent time on several "unspoiled" isles in the Caribbean (including HMC pre-development) and the Pacific - it is a nice contrast and offers a different perspective. Put a few loungers on the beach, tie up some hammocks, and have a few latrines available for a minimalist experience. Must every port turn into Disneyland?

I agree with this!!

It's one of the reasons I love living where I do. We have the spoil islands all over the bay here in Miami. Other than a trash can, most are nothing but a tiny little island with a beach. You can even camp on them if you like. Totally free/public. We also have islands like Boca Chita with a few facilities.

Relaxing on the spoil islands is easily one of our favorite things to do. It's not the Bahamas, but it's fun all the same.

Edited by BNBR

Norwegian actually sold HMC to Holland America, which of course was acquired by Carnival.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

nOT TO START AN ARGUMENT BUT THE BAHAMAS own THE BAHAMAS AND ARE TOO SMART TO SELL ANY OF THEIR ISLANDS TO ANY OF THE CRUISE LINES.........however they do lease them for long periods of time with many stipulations attached as to how many workers must

be hired and of what nationality and pay scale etc.

nOT TO START AN ARGUMENT BUT THE BAHAMAS own THE BAHAMAS AND ARE TOO SMART TO SELL ANY OF THEIR ISLANDS TO ANY OF THE CRUISE LINES.........however they do lease them for long periods of time with many stipulations attached as to how many workers must

This is really not true at all. SOME islands are leased, but certainly not all. In fact, Great Stirrup Cay is owned by Norwegian, not leased. HMC is not leased, either, as far as I can tell.

Edited by BNBR

Very good point. I thought that after I made my last post - technically they are leased not owned. Once the lease runs out (and not renewed) then the developed areas transfer back to the local governance.

Thanks for keeping things honest.

This is really not true at all. SOME islands are leased, but certainly not all. In fact, Great Stirrup Cay is owned by Norwegian, not leased. HMC is not leased, either, as far as I can tell.

From the blog on HAL's web site - clearly the land is leased...

http://www.hollandamericablog.com/2015/03/19/19-march-2015-half-moon-cay-bahamas/

From the blog on HAL's web site - clearly the land is leased...

http://www.hollandamericablog.com/2015/03/19/19-march-2015-half-moon-cay-bahamas/

You could be right, the wiki pages suggest these are owned privately and not leased - but suggests leased on other islands like Castaway. But I've found conflicted information on it. There are islands in the Bahamas that are owned and not leased, as far as I know. Maybe not cruise related?

https://www.ncl.com/freestyle-cruise/great-stirrup-cay

Belcher Oil Company sells Great Stirrup Cay to Norwegian Cruise Line (known then as Norwegian Caribbean Line) and becomes the first cruise line to offer a private island experience.

Doesn't say anything about a lease, purchasing a lease, etc. Just that they purchased the island from another company.

Holland America Line purchased the island of Little San Salvador from several Bahamian owners in December, 1996 for a price of $6 million USD

This doesn't sound leased, either. But who knows the actual stipulations with the government? It's quite interesting.

Edited by BNBR

You could be right, the wiki pages suggest these are owned privately and not leased - but suggests leased on other islands like Castaway. But I've found conflicted information on it. There are islands in the Bahamas that are owned and not leased, as far as I know. Maybe not cruise related?

https://www.ncl.com/freestyle-cruise/great-stirrup-cay

Belcher Oil Company sells Great Stirrup Cay to Norwegian Cruise Line (known then as Norwegian Caribbean Line) and becomes the first cruise line to offer a private island experience.

Doesn't say anything about a lease, purchasing a lease, etc. Just that they purchased the island from another company.

Holland America Line purchased the island of Little San Salvador from several Bahamian owners in December, 1996 for a price of $6 million USD

This doesn't sound leased, either. But who knows the actual stipulations with the government? It's quite interesting.

Yes, it gets confusing when researching the particulars. I think they "purchase" a right to use and develop. Sort of like owning land in Hawaii. Most time you don't actually own the land, you are leasing or purchasing a right to use.

Yes, it gets confusing when researching the particulars. I think they "purchase" a right to use and develop. Sort of like owning land in Hawaii. Most time you don't actually own the land, you are leasing or purchasing a right to use.

There really is no such thing as land ownership anyways. Don't pay your property taxes. :D

It's an interesting topic with the Bahamian Islands. I wish there was more information on it.

Norwegian actually sold HMC to Holland America, which of course was acquired by Carnival.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Here's our port profile on Half Moon Cay: http://www.cruisecritic.com/ports/newport.cfm?ID=531. Norwegian never owned it.

Also, here's Cruise Critic's coverage of the Great Stirrup Cay closure: http://www.cruisecritic.com/news/news.cfm?ID=7188.