Best time to join Check-In Queue_Manhattan

NorthernHiro

Hi,

We're sailing on the Gem Oct 8-15 from the Manhattan Cruise Terminal.

We are staying overnight near Penn Station and so we are flexible on what time we show up to check in.

Definitely we want time to sightsee in NYC (the cost of the one night hotel is= to about 4 nights on the Gem!)

So, my question is do we head to the ship early, like 0900 to hopefully check in, drop luggage and then go back onshore for a few hours OR do we leave luggage at hotel, sightsee and then delay check in until 2-3ish?

I've read the posts and it seems a lot of people show up around 1100 and then have to wait in long lines, etc. Eating lunch, brunch, lupper on the ship is not a priority day of embarkation....there's plenty of that for the next 6 days!

Thoughts? Thanks in Advance from Canada...

You can drop off bags at 9:00 - no check in required. You just need to have the luggage tags on each bag. Only check stuff that you do not need until evening. Dropping off bags takes a minute or two. As to best time to actually check in and board I will let others answer that.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Why not check your luggage at your hotel and avoid making two trips to the pier?

What is your sailing time? I believe all passengers must be aboard or at least checked in by 2 hours before sailing - no exceptions because they must transmit the passenger manifest to Homeland Security.

So go sightseeing in the morning, pick up your luggage and head to the port with plenty of time.

For my 4pm sailing I will be checking in by 12.

Why not check your luggage at your hotel and avoid making two trips to the pier?

What is your sailing time? I believe all passengers must be aboard or at least checked in by 2 hours before sailing - no exceptions because they must transmit the passenger manifest to Homeland Security.

So go sightseeing in the morning, pick up your luggage and head to the port with plenty of time.

For my 4pm sailing I will be checking in by 12.

Could not agree more with this ⬆️

Unless otherwise noted by and/or informed by NCL, both the Breakaway & GEM based in NYC sail either at 3 PM or 4 PM, and, all abroad time for embarkation is 2 hours prior to (thus aim to be at the pier by 12:30 or 1:30 PM, Eastern Time) - weather permitting, in case of any localized traffic delays, special events or street closures, etc.

Given OP's priorities, I concur about checking the luggage at the hotel - eat a hearty breakfast and go sightsee around town in the morning, return to the hotel around noon or 1 PM, and then go to the pier, which should be less than 15 minutes away - by then, the traffic & check-in circus would be easing, if not gone. If you can select the latest staggered arrival time, that's even better (Breakaway does, not sure about the GEM).

Muster drills are usually held 30 minutes before sailing and food/guest services, etc. will be stopping 30 minutes prior until the mandatory safety demo are done. You no longer need to retrieve your life jacket prior to reporting to your muster location, although you should be onboard by then & possibly get a quick bite in the buffet, as the MDR lunch service will be over by then.

P.S. Just an observation: off-topic, about the high costs of staying in NYC ... taxes & surcharges are high, sure. But, unless you are booked into a Presidential suite in NYC but managed to sail on an "Inside" - you might want to re-price your reservations and/or at other upscale hotels in the area, you might discover some savings and better deals as rates shouldn't be that high by October, although it's Columbus weekend - around $300 to $400 nightly, all inclusive should yield some 4 stars lodging ... MTA buses & subway can get you around town to popular tourist landmarks easily, quickly & relatively safely, IMHO.

Our ship is sailing a 4:00, so 2:00all aboard. Good point!

I forgot to mention my DH really wants to tour the USS Intrepid which is just down river from the cruise port.

Also, we are Canadian and were lucky to book our cruise at par but the hotel we'll pay in US which costs us about $1.27 exchange.

cheers,

vivian

Intrepid, got it. It's right next door - next pier to the south, an easy 5 - 10 minutes walk. Allow 2 to 3 hours to explore, 4 hours is even better - it is open at 10 AM (per website, please re-check prior to) and you can leave there & walk back to ship at 1:30 PM with no risk of missing the cutoff time to board.

Plan B, revised - checkout from hotel in morning, after breakfast & take a taxi with luggage over to Pier 88/90 by 9:15 AM - dropoff your checked luggage & keep personal items in a day pack or small backpack (due to security considerations at the Intrepid ... check their website for the latest guidelines) with all valuables, medications, passports & essentials, etc. Less than 2 or 3 minutes to give your tagged bags to the porters outside on arrival level, then, down to street level & then walk over to the aircraft carrier, etc.

When finished & back, go thru security to check-in counter, should be a breeze to get everything done & step onto the gangway in 15 minutes or less - enough time to make a quick dash for a late lunch buffet; before they close for muster drills, stateroom is next & lastly get ready to find your assembly station & then, finally - the sailaway, etc.

You biggest issue with dropping off luggage at pier at say 9:30 and then visiting the intrepid is what to do with carry on luggage?

If it all fits in a tote or backpack that will be allowed at the intrepid but

I only travel with a tote and a 21 inch carry on.

Haven't checked luggage in years. Including 3 weeks in Europe that included a 12 day cruise

It's amazing what you don't need

Oh and the cruise was on princess and black silk slacks and glittery top rolled up into nothing space wise

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Edited by luvtheships

You biggest issue with dropping off luggage at pier at say 9:30 and then visiting the intrepid is what to do with carry on luggage?

If it all fits in a tote or backpack that will be allowed at the intrepid but

I only travel with a tote and a 21 inch carry on.

Haven't checked luggage in years. Including 3 weeks in Europe that included a 12 day cruise

It's amazing what you don't need

Oh and the cruise was on princess and black silk slacks and glittery top rolled up into nothing space wise

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

They can still check carryon luggage at the pier.