Crown Princess 8/13 - the good, the bad and the ugly

coloradocruizn

Crown Princess 8/13 - 8/20/16 to Alaska

We had a great time on our cruise to Alaska from Seattle the week of 8/13/16. Sailing were my DH and me (late 50's). We've been on several cruises on different lines (Carnival, Holland America, NCL, Royal, Disney, Celebrity) so I'll highlight some of the differences I saw on our first cruise with Princess.

The Good:

Balcony on Caribe deck: thank you, thank you, thank you for the awesome information on this board that led me to book on this deck. The balcony was twice the size of other balconies with 1/2 covered and 1/2 uncovered. Perfect to view the awesome sights on this cruise.

As we boarded, our rooms were ready. We were guided directly to the elevators and swept up to our rooms to drop our carry ons and then wander up to the Lido deck for a bite of lunch.

The all-inclusive photo package ($199 for all photos, both printed 8x10s (formal) and 5 x 7s (informal) and digital). The photographers were wonderful and we came away with some great photos to accompany our memories.

Spa Thermal Package ($199 the first day for a couple) - I enjoyed it, my DH ... not so much. There were heated tile loungers, a steam room, an aromatherapy room and another room (dry heat?) which I never used. If I were to do it again, I'd buy for myself only (I went every day!).

Princess provided a wonderful enrichment program with various speakers. Unfortunately we missed the puppies but I saw pictures so I knew they had been there too.

The only entertainer we saw was the comedian. He was funny and it was an enjoyable show.

The weather was wonderful. I packed for layers but never needed the fleece, winter hat, or gloves. And we had very little rain too.

We took excursions (whale watching, Mendelhall Glacier and brewery tour in Juneau and dog sledding in Skagway) but not through Princess. We were very pleased with the size of the groups and the efficiency of the operators.

I've read a lot on these board about the pros and cons of Your Time Dining. All I can say is that it worked for us. We were able to get reservations for the time we wanted (5:15 pm) each night we wanted it and were able to get a table for 2. The first night, the service was slow and I never got my drink nor my coffee. I was worried. However, the other nights the service was spectacular. No need to worry.

Dress for dinner: Most of the people I saw on formal night were dressed in suits (some tuxes) for men and sparkly tops/dresses for the ladies. Not as informal as I'd seen reflected on the boards. In any event, the food tasted as yummy to me.

The Bad:

Unlike other cruise lines we've sailed with, Princess didn't have a deli and their sandwich selection at the International Cafe was sorely limited. Also, breakfast room service selection was more limited than I've seen on some other lines.

The Spa hot tub was warm until we turned the jets on. They shot in cold water. We didn't stay long.

We did not find the bed to be comfortable. It took me a while each morning to work the kinks out of my back and there was a definite sagging to the mattress.

The Ugly:

At the very end of the cruise ... wouldn't you know it ... we were slapped with the cold hand of reality. We decided to use EZ Check so that we wouldn't have to worry about our bags until we got to our home airport. We were flying first class - there was to be no charge for our bags from the airline. We'd have to pay the $20 per person handling fee for EZ Check but that was fine with us. When we got our final bill, we had been charged for 2 bags for my DH (none for me) for a total of $50 in addition to the $20 handling fee.

We contacted 3 different people at Guest Services. None were able/willing to help research, let alone fix, the problem. The last person told me I needed to talk to the airline to get the money refunded. When we got to the airport, I checked with the airline (Alaska Airlines). She checked and even showed me the screen with our ticket info on it. There was NO CHARGE for the bags from the airline.

So, dear Cruise Critic friends, if anyone has any suggestions on how I can get Princess to refund the $50 luggage fee they collected, I'd appreciate the help.

Thanks. If you have any questions, feel free to ask and I'll do my best to answer.

Crown Princess 8/13 - 8/20/16 to Alaska

We had a great time on our cruise to Alaska from Seattle the week of 8/13/16. Sailing were my DH and me (late 50's). We've been on several cruises on different lines (Carnival, Holland America, NCL, Royal, Disney, Celebrity) so I'll highlight some of the differences I saw on our first cruise with Princess.

The Good:

Balcony on Caribe deck: thank you, thank you, thank you for the awesome information on this board that led me to book on this deck. The balcony was twice the size of other balconies with 1/2 covered and 1/2 uncovered. Perfect to view the awesome sights on this cruise.

As we boarded, our rooms were ready. We were guided directly to the elevators and swept up to our rooms to drop our carry ons and then wander up to the Lido deck for a bite of lunch.

The all-inclusive photo package ($199 for all photos, both printed 8x10s (formal) and 5 x 7s (informal) and digital). The photographers were wonderful and we came away with some great photos to accompany our memories.

Spa Thermal Package ($199 the first day for a couple) - I enjoyed it, my DH ... not so much. There were heated tile loungers, a steam room, an aromatherapy room and another room (dry heat?) which I never used. If I were to do it again, I'd buy for myself only (I went every day!).

Princess provided a wonderful enrichment program with various speakers. Unfortunately we missed the puppies but I saw pictures so I knew they had been there too.

The only entertainer we saw was the comedian. He was funny and it was an enjoyable show.

The weather was wonderful. I packed for layers but never needed the fleece, winter hat, or gloves. And we had very little rain too.

We took excursions (whale watching, Mendelhall Glacier and brewery tour in Juneau and dog sledding in Skagway) but not through Princess. We were very pleased with the size of the groups and the efficiency of the operators.

I've read a lot on these board about the pros and cons of Your Time Dining. All I can say is that it worked for us. We were able to get reservations for the time we wanted (5:15 pm) each night we wanted it and were able to get a table for 2. The first night, the service was slow and I never got my drink nor my coffee. I was worried. However, the other nights the service was spectacular. No need to worry.

Dress for dinner: Most of the people I saw on formal night were dressed in suits (some tuxes) for men and sparkly tops/dresses for the ladies. Not as informal as I'd seen reflected on the boards. In any event, the food tasted as yummy to me.

The Bad:

Unlike other cruise lines we've sailed with, Princess didn't have a deli and their sandwich selection at the International Cafe was sorely limited. Also, breakfast room service selection was more limited than I've seen on some other lines.

The Spa hot tub was warm until we turned the jets on. They shot in cold water. We didn't stay long.

We did not find the bed to be comfortable. It took me a while each morning to work the kinks out of my back and there was a definite sagging to the mattress.

The Ugly:

At the very end of the cruise ... wouldn't you know it ... we were slapped with the cold hand of reality. We decided to use EZ Check so that we wouldn't have to worry about our bags until we got to our home airport. We were flying first class - there was to be no charge for our bags from the airline. We'd have to pay the $20 per person handling fee for EZ Check but that was fine with us. When we got our final bill, we had been charged for 2 bags for my DH (none for me) for a total of $50 in addition to the $20 handling fee.

We contacted 3 different people at Guest Services. None were able/willing to help research, let alone fix, the problem. The last person told me I needed to talk to the airline to get the money refunded. When we got to the airport, I checked with the airline (Alaska Airlines). She checked and even showed me the screen with our ticket info on it. There was NO CHARGE for the bags from the airline.

So, dear Cruise Critic friends, if anyone has any suggestions on how I can get Princess to refund the $50 luggage fee they collected, I'd appreciate the help.

Thanks. If you have any questions, feel free to ask and I'll do my best to answer.

Thanks for the review.

On the EZ Check form did you tick the box for no charge on the luggage?

I would dispute the charge on your CC.

Edited by Colo Cruiser

We were on the same cruise. It was our first and we loved it!! The food, the staff, and the ship! Can't wait to cruise again! I had read all the tips for newbies and they all came in so handy!! Especially the carpet colors on the port and starboard sides. That helped us so much! So sorry for your trouble at the end.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Princess doesn't have a deli but in the late afternoon in the buffet they make made to order sandwiches daily. This is done on every ship I've been on.

This is a relatively new thing, I think. I experienced in on the Diamond in March. About 3 pm they convert the desert bar in Horizon Court to a "tea" station, where you can get fresh sandwiches like the kind they would be serving downstairs in the MDR afternoon tea. Egg salad, ham and cheese, etc. The old way was a platter of pre-made sanwiches, wrapped in cellophane. Weird stuff like shrimp salad with beets or some such. The Diamond does not have an IC, so this really helped fill the need. I'm not sure if this will be on all ships. In any case, they don't have a deli where you can get a corned beef on rye. :(

Thanks for the review. When I fill out the EZ Check form, I include a copy of my e-ticket. I not only check off the box for no luggage fee but I also pre-highlight in fluorescent yellow that I'm flying Business/First and I write on the form in large letters, "Business Class -- No luggage fee." I don't leave anything to chance. The Purser's Desk staff has a very limited time to process the forms as they can't start until 24 hours before your flight. Many are not that familiar with the airlines. That's not going to help you now but hopefully for someone else in the future.

• 1 month later...
An update - After many phone calls and emails between Princess, my TA and me, I have received a refund of the luggage fee. It should not have been that hard but at least it is now resolved.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Nice to know it's all resolved. I am still waiting to hear from Royal Caribbean on a complaint. They told me 2 to 3 days. We are going on 2 to 3 weeks now.