What ended up happening with the "one service a day" issue?

AdoraBelle

Exactly.

For a newbie cruiser , that doesn't read a cruise forum to know that they can select both, would only choose one.

I could see my adult kids on our upcoming cruise do this. They wouldn't know they could have both AM and PM, especially if the steward is standing there asking them. I don't think he/she would voluntarily say, or you can have both, mine didn't.

But again - the steward not volunteering that you can have both is not the problem (or not the entire problem). The problem is that, after someone says they want both it appears that some stewards are telling the customer that they can't have it (as reported here). Then, the response to that comment will differ based on whether one is an experienced cruiser or not. Or likes confrontation or not. Or wants to spend time in the Guest Services line to complain or not.

Then, the response to that comment will differ based on whether one is an experienced cruiser or not. Or likes confrontation or not. Or wants to spend time in the Guest Services line to complain or not.

Which puts the onus on the guest to get the service level they should be provided. This is not hospitality as defined by Webster.

Here's my simple view of it. Carnival puts out a"pilot" program to effect some sort of cut. In a short wjhile they will announce that since most "guests" (whether this is fact or not, we will never really know) opted for the "once a day" cabin service In order to please said "guests", that will now be the new policy. Now it's not a cutback, but simply a means to please its guests. Brilliant!

You nailed it. Sad but true

But again - the steward not volunteering that you can have both is not the problem (or not the entire problem). The problem is that, after someone says they want both it appears that some stewards are telling the customer that they can't have it (as reported here). Then, the response to that comment will differ based on whether one is an experienced cruiser or not. Or likes confrontation or not. Or wants to spend time in the Guest Services line to complain or not.

Or, cut their tips accordingly for the steward telling them only once a day.

I wouldn't want to confront them or spend time complaining to guest services and then have the awkwardness of seeing the steward everyday after that.

The only thing I wish is that this wasn't a card but was filled out electronically before the cruise.

That I agree with. If Carnival is going to do this - and it appears they are - then having guests choose their preferred amount of service before the cruise makes good sense. Instead, they put the responsibility on the already over-worked stewards (which according to Carnival, they are trying to help) and further complicate their work day. This should tell us something. Perhaps they aren't really all that concerned about their employee's work load, but instead are simply cutting back to increase their profit margin. I did say, "perhaps." I don't know this for a fact anymore than anyone on CC knows it isn't a fact. But common sense should reveal the answer though. I also don't know if Carnival's profit margin is slipping, holding steady, or widening. If it is slipping, I can understand a need for cutbacks. But for Pete's sake, do it in a way that makes sense and doesn't confuse and possibly alienate your customers. And ESPECIALLY, don't put the burden on your "already overworked" room stewards. That said, I seriously Doubt Carnival is struggling financially.

Just on the Pride a couple of weeks ago. We were never asked for a preference, we were not given a card, and we received twice a day service.

That's exactly what we experienced on our cruise this week on the Imagination.

I don't see why people want the choice electronically. How long does it take to fill out a card? Why should you decide days or months ahead how many times a day to be serviced? What if you change your mind once you boarded? That ties up you and the steward if you want change.

Here's my simple view of it. Carnival puts out a"pilot" program to effect some sort of cut. In a short wjhile they will announce that since most "guests" (whether this is fact or not, we will never really know) opted for the "once a day" cabin service In order to please said "guests", that will now be the new policy. Now it's not a cutback, but simply a means to please its guests. Brilliant!

You are right, that is a "simple view".

What does everyone do with all this ice?

I use it in my room temperature bottled water, which I drink A LOT of. Don't they serve ice water anywhere in Australia?

Edited by Zoey
forgot something

Seems pretty simple if you don't know if you want once a day or both a day service and had to fill it out ahead of time you'd select both. Then once you were on board if you found you wanted to sleep in or whatever and only wanted once a day you would simply tell your steward you didn't need the other service. There by removing the extra duty from them, that would take what 30 seconds of both of your time and remove work load from them. Not sure how that would be a burden to either of you.

Or simply leave a note in your cabin and you wouldn't even have to meet with your room steward to do it. I'm still failing to see how filling out the cards ahead of time could be a hardship to anyone guest or steward. At the moment is it definitely adding to the duties the steward has to perform.

As far as ice goes a lot of people bring soda or their bottle of wine on or bring beer in bottles from the buckets of beers back to their rooms and want to keep it cold. So they ask for ice. No fridges on many of the ships in the rooms other than suites.

This is maybe the greatest 'judging what other people do on their cruise' post I've seen here.

Not sure how big you think those ice buckets are.

seriously? I didn't take Swiss' post that way at all. It was just a simple question.

Can anyone tell me what the official result of that was?

Or is this one of those bizarrely forbidden subjects?

It's becoming more and more frustrating having to go to other cruise sites and Facebook to get answers on certain topics.

Last thread I saw, someone posted that they were doing a B2B and were told there would be no evening service. That thread I see is now gone as well.

For this topic to still be simmering a year later, it's an indication they continue to want to roll it out without anyone noticing.

I also noticed the topic came on ince again with specifics on John Healds Facebook page. He said he was going to check into it but has not been back on that thread with an update.

In any case, the day u an informed there had been ANY cutback to any service I pay directly through tips, those tips will be immediately adjusted.

Joke all you want. I have read plenty of people on the unnamed site that actually welcomed the option to just have the steward come once a day.

I'm one on this site who only wants once a day service.

I am no hog. I don't waller in filth nor do I slop up my cabin to the point where it needs attention even once a day.

I find it humorous that people will begrudge a steward (who makes less per week than I make in a day) having a little less to do AFTER the cruise line cut the staffing in an effort to keep prices reasonable.

Maybe I really meant aggravating and not humorous. :(:mad:

I am no hog. I don't waller in filth nor do I slop up my cabin to the point where it needs attention even once a day.

I find it humorous that people will begrudge a steward (who makes less per week than I make in a day) having a little less to do AFTER the cruise line cut the staffing in an effort to keep prices reasonable.

I guess as long as you're paying the same as your neighbors, while they get full service, and you only get half, and you're fine with that, that really only affects you.

. I'd rather spend more and get more.

The problem is, your not really getting "more" on Royal Caribbean IMHO and you will find these same type of cutback complaints over on that forum too. No, RC hasnt went to once a day cabin service................yet. What you need to consider though is all these mass market lines follow each others lead.

Enjoy your Anthem cruise. :) Seems like a wonderful ship. Frankly though, Im as tired of Royal and their sale shenanigans, cutbacks in quality of food, service, ridiculous drink prices and other things as you are tired of Carnival.

Edited by ryano

I guess as long as you're paying the same as your neighbors, while they get full service, and you only get half, and you're fine with that, that really only affects you.

I was absolutely fine with once a day on our CCL Dream Cruise in May (and yes my room steward did offer us AM, PM, or Both). We asked for PM so we could sleep in without worrying about holding him up. We also asked for extra towels, ice, and robes. Which our room steward provided with a smile. He also kept my soft sided Carnival Cooler we brought along filled with ice without my even asking. I was very pleased with the service received from our room steward and never even gave reducing his tip due to only having PM Service a thought. I find it kind of petty and somewhat cheap for those that do, but that is just MHO.

I think the real issue here is the way the billion-dollar corporations have so successfully shifted the guilt/blame of how they treat their employees over to the consumer.

It's not personal between me and the cruise line employees, or about me begrudging another human being anything. I mainly just want to know what I'm paying for, and not be guilt-tripped if it's taken away before I sail.

If the cruise industry essentially cannot be profitable without what amounts to human rights violations, maybe none of us should be cruising.

Edited by AdoraBelle

I don't see why people want the choice electronically. How long does it take to fill out a card? Why should you decide days or months ahead how many times a day to be serviced? What if you change your mind once you boarded? That ties up you and the steward if you want change.

If I changed my mind once I boarded, I'd leave a note or tell the steward. But I want electronic because I wouldn't change my mind. I know what I want. I think most people do. If they didn't, how would they suddenly know the first night they get onboard?

Filling out a card ties up me and the steward just as much as changing, so I don't get your logic. If it was online, I'd wager the majority of people would not get "tied up" with changes, but even if it was EVERYONE, that's no more "tying up" than a physical card does already....

But I'm an odd one, I guess. I don't care if I meet the steward (I find it awkward to meet them, frankly, but I don't mind that much), prefer once a day service, just want clean towels, a Funtime, and a towel animal, and I'm happy.

Edit - I'm one of the ones who first suggested electronic. It seems like it'd help with scheduling stewards. And it'd help people who worry the steward will tell them they can't have twice a day or make a face or whatever they worry about. (I've told a steward not to bother with twice a day before this card even existed but they still cleaned the room twice a day on port days).

Edited by berrieh

I'm not sure what I am supposed to be judging? I have only cruised once to date so am very restricted in my experience but we had a little fridge in the room, we weren't allowed to bring alcohol on board so we got our drinks from the bar and bought them back to the room when we wanted to drink there, we put the water in the fridge, we didn't bring a cooler? I see constantly posts saying that ice is essential but couldn't figure out why.