Passport question... I can use, right?!?!

GarnerGirls

We are thinking about doing a cruise for our 25th anniversary.

If we go on a 5 day cruise that is Oct 17 - 22, 2016 and my passport expires May 28, 2017. I can use it, right?

According to my math, it expires 7 months and 6 days from the day we return. So if they require 6 months I have a month to spare.

I'm thinking I can but this kind of stuff make me nervous so I wanted to double check with people who know what they are doing. I'm trying to not call the cruise line until we decide for sure what we are doing.

Thanks so much!

Thank you soooo much!!!!

I was thinking I could but I just needed reassurance!

Even if it expired on October 23, you would be fine for MOST cruises. None of the places in the Bahamas or Caribbean cruise ships visit have a 6 month rule.

Edited by ryano

Even if it expired on October 23, you would be fine for MOST cruises. None of the places in the Bahamas or Caribbean cruise ships visit have a 6 month rule.

However, I'm in almost the same situation for my next cruise (passports expires two days after disembarking), and I'm renewing. I don't know what would happen if I have a medical emergency in the Bahamas, and I'm admitted to the hospital for a week. With an expired passport.

Or am I overthinking things?

However, I'm in almost the same situation for my next cruise (passports expires two days after disembarking), and I'm renewing. I don't know what would happen if I have a medical emergency in the Bahamas, and I'm admitted to the hospital for a week. With an expired passport.

Speaking for myself unless I had other travel scheduled for soon after the cruise I wouldn't renew the passport until after the cruise was over and even then not until I had a trip planned.

No, you're thinking exactly the way you should. I would renew it way ahead of schedule (say, 3 months prior to expiration) so that you can do it as inexpensively as possible. I did not and waited until about a month prior to an overseas trip - had to pay $$ to get it expedited and overnighted. I'm ok overpaying for convenience but I wish I'd been smarter in this case.

I agree that you are being pro active and smart to renew your passport. One never knows what may arise while traveling and it is good to be prepared. You don't want to let the passport expire! Then it is more expensive to get a new one!

I agree that you are being pro active and smart to renew your passport. One never knows what may arise while traveling and it is good to be prepared. You don't want to let the passport expire! Then it is more expensive to get a new one!

It costs the same to renew a passport whether it's expired or not (as long as you haven't let it lapse for more than 5 years, after which it is only as expensive as it is applying for a first time passport).

CR*P, you reminded me that DD's passport expires in February. And then my and hubby's expires the following year. Its not like its difficult to renew since my office is in the post office building and they have a passport office, but that means I have to get all the paperwork together- grr.

It costs the same to renew a passport whether it's expired or not (as long as you haven't let it lapse for more than 5 years, after which it is only as expensive as it is applying for a first time passport).

Actually that varies from country to country.

Now is a good time to renew. I got mine back in 13 days. Sent out end of July using Priority Mail, non expedited processing.

Ours expired in Feb '17

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

No you are not overthinking :) Do what YOU feel comfortable doing.

On another note, looking at your signature, you were on Freedom of the Seas last year two weeks after me and you are gonna be on Magic in 2017 two weeks after me :D:eek:

CR*P, you reminded me that DD's passport expires in February. And then my and hubby's expires the following year. Its not like its difficult to renew since my office is in the post office building and they have a passport office, but that means I have to get all the paperwork together- grr.

Actually you renew through the mail. It was one simple form printed off their website and sent in with a check and your old passport. Not like when you first apply for it and have to go in person.

I'm thinking that you really DON'T want to do that....anyone using a passport that expires within "days" of their vacation....hmmm...I won't comment...LOL

I'm thinking that you really DON'T want to do that....anyone using a passport that expires within "days" of their vacation....hmmm...I won't comment...LOL

It's their choice and it doesn't affect you at all. I personally would have no issue with cruising with a passport that expires a few days after the cruise ends (presuming of course a closed loop cruise in the Caribbean).

Embassy/consular affairs will help you out. It won't be painless though.

My son is 14 and of course his last passport was only good for 5 years so we had to get him a new one this summer. We had NON expedited processing with priority mail and my son got his back in 13 days! These folks in line behind us paid 100 extra per person for expedited. I told hubby I sure hope they got them back within 5-7 days ...that would suck to be out the extra $$ and have non expedited folks get theirs back first!

Now is a good time to renew. I got mine back in 13 days. Sent out end of July using Priority Mail, non expedited processing.

Ours expired in Feb '17

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

They received my paperwork last Tuesday and I got my passport today. Only 9 days! I really thought it would be about 3 to 4 weeks.

That's great that they are coming back so fast. I really should renew the girls before we go on our Oct cruise. I hate traveling without them even though I know we don't NEED them. I've never gone out of the country without one and I'd prefer to keep it that way. Mine is still good until the end of next year but theirs are expired.

I personally wouldn't cruise on one that expires while I was on the cruise but maybe on one that expired right after as long as there's no rule against flying on a shortly expiring one (not sure what international flight rules are if you had to fly back home).

That's great that they are coming back so fast. I really should renew the girls before we go on our Oct cruise. I hate traveling without them even though I know we don't NEED them. I've never gone out of the country without one and I'd prefer to keep it that way. Mine is still good until the end of next year but theirs are expired.

I personally wouldn't cruise on one that expires while I was on the cruise but maybe on one that expired right after as long as there's no rule against flying on a shortly expiring one (not sure what international flight rules are if you had to fly back home).

As long as it's valid to get you into the country you are flying to it will be accepted and your US passport is good for re-entry until the day it expires. My experience has been the opposite of yours, I traveled to many foreign countries without a passport up until last year when we flew to Germany so I've never seen passports in the same light that many others do.