Kids signing out of Camp

apey9995

Question for parents - at what age did you let your kids start signing themselves out of camp? My son is 9 and I'm still on the fence about the upcoming cruise as to whether or not I'll opt to let him sign himself out. If we do, I'm thinking we will take walkie talkies along with us and give him one to keep with him.

Also- who has info on the scavenger hunt that age group does (9-11 Y/O). Do they stay in teams or go off on their own?

Thanks in advance!

I'm sure you'll get a wide variety of answers. I personally wouldn't have allowed my kids to sign out at 9. I would have let them leave together if they let me know they were leaving but they would have had to stay at least in pairs (have 4 kids). I wouldn't let them run around a strange town alone and a cruise ship is essentially a floating city and like or not, not everyone on it is a good person. Also not every child is going to make the best choices all the time, especially when influenced by new friends. I at least want to know where they are and that they aren't off on their own running around the ship totally unattended for hours at a time at that age.

I'm sure you'll get a wide variety of answers. I personally wouldn't have allowed my kids to sign out at 9. I would have let them leave together if they let me know they were leaving but they would have had to stay at least in pairs (have 4 kids). I wouldn't let them run around a strange town alone and a cruise ship is essentially a floating city and like or not, not everyone on it is a good person. Also not every child is going to make the best choices all the time, especially when influenced by new friends. I at least want to know where they are and that they aren't off on their own running around the ship totally unattended for hours at a time at that age.

Yes, this is kind of my gut feeling too. If we did let him, it would probably be for the scavenger hunt ONLY, and that was why I am wondering if its done in teams or by themselves. I really don't want him wandering around by himself, but if it's with a group I might consider it...

I originally said no when my son was nine. I did decide to allow it ONLY if he was doing a scavenger hunt as he would be in a group and had to return. It is a nice feature because the last cruise (he was 10) he was able to head to the club and check himself in and we didn't walk him to the club if we were doing something. We would pick him up when we got his sister.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

I did at age 9, but not really. I would tell her she could sign herself out at 12 noon (certain time) and meet me at such'n such chairs, which would be located on the same deck, right down the way. Example if the camp was meeting at the dance club on the promenade. She felt independent making that little walk. I was watching the whole time. We didn't do this the entire cruise, just a time or two to see how she would follow directions.

YUP, my whole family was standing in line at guest service to get some keys changed, and while my son-in-law was holding y 3yo grandson's hand, a guy walked by and set his bourbon on the rocks on the table next to grandson who immediately picked it up and downed it!

The scavenger hunt is done in teams. I think it depends on your child; you are the best judge of that. We use a post-it note system where we leave notes as to where we will be and she will come check in with us. It is certainly an easier decision now that she is older, but I was hesitant when she was 9.

YUP, my whole family was standing in line at guest service to get some keys changed, and while my son-in-law was holding y 3yo grandson's hand, a guy walked by and set his bourbon on the rocks on the table next to grandson who immediately picked it up and downed it!

Omg!! [emoji33]

What did y'all do? I don't even know how alcohol would affect a child that small??

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Question for parents - at what age did you let your kids start signing themselves out of camp? My son is 9 and I'm still on the fence about the upcoming cruise as to whether or not I'll opt to let him sign himself out. If we do, I'm thinking we will take walkie talkies along with us and give him one to keep with him.

Also- who has info on the scavenger hunt that age group does (9-11 Y/O). Do they stay in teams or go off on their own?

Thanks in advance!

We started when she was 10, but she was only allowed to come back to the cabin. If we found her elsewhere we would take away the priviledge. At 12 now she can check-in and out. The scavenger hunt is done in teams.

My daughter was 10 on our last cruise (her first) & I didn't feel comfortable allowing it. For our upcoming October cruise she will be 11 & I think I'm going to give her permission to do it this time now that she knows the ropes & will be 9 months older.

Is this your child's first cruise? If not, is it either a same or similar ship?

When my child was 9, we did allow her to sign in/out, with rules, but it was her 6th cruise and third time on the same ship. If it was her first cruise, I don't know.

Mine will be 10 on our next cruise. She loves camp but letting her sign out alone is not even on the table. I will pick her up and drop her off as needed. I am not that trusting of folks and would never be able to live with myself if anything happened. Just ain't worth the risk. She will have the hub app to reach us if she wants to leave early or something.