Question about Roatan

teddyton

I am booked in Feb. and wondering if I can just go to the Carnival beach with out booking an excursion.

Thanks

Yes, the beach at Mahogany Bay is free. The excursions for Mahogany Bay (Relax On The Beach and Ultimate Beach package) give you added benefits, such as a clam shell, floats, snorkeling gear, and free access to the flying chairs....

Okay, maybe some of you seasoned cruisers can help. As I stated me and the significant other are booked for Feb. He has never cruised and my last was in 99. We are going to Cozumel, Belize, and Roatan. Thoughts are America Cup excursion in Cozumel. Snorkel in Belize through non-Carnival, Coral Reef and sharks. And monkies in Roatan. Since the monkies are a short excursion. I was just wondering if I needed to pick an excursion to just get some more snorkel time for me (he is not much of a swimming type.) or if I could just walk to Mahagony Bay and snorkel.

Thanks

It costs extra and Carnival does not offer an excursion here, but we really liked Little French Key. Great beaches, snorkeling excursion (by boat to the reef), other activities.

We went a couple years ago (while on Carnival Magic) and are planning on going again this November while on Carnival Breeze.

Check them out (google it)! ;)

The best snorkeling at Roatan is at West Bay, on the other side of the island. We book Tabyana Beach Break through Carnival. The coral reef starts about 25-30 yards from the shore, lots of different marine life to see...

Okay, maybe some of you seasoned cruisers can help. As I stated me and the significant other are booked for Feb. He has never cruised and my last was in 99. We are going to Cozumel, Belize, and Roatan. Thoughts are America Cup excursion in Cozumel. Snorkel in Belize through non-Carnival, Coral Reef and sharks. And monkies in Roatan. Since the monkies are a short excursion. I was just wondering if I needed to pick an excursion to just get some more snorkel time for me (he is not much of a swimming type.) or if I could just walk to Mahagony Bay and snorkel.

Thanks

When we went to Roatan, we did a day tour through Victor Bodden, so I can't speak to snorkeling at Mahogony Bay. However, we did the monkeys---which were really neat, but one of them bit my son. He was holding seeds in his hand, and the monkeys wanted them. It was not a bad bite, but did break the skin. He was fine (and the monkeys have their shots, according to our guide), but I think it is good for people to have a heads up.

We did snorkel on the other side of the island, and it was great.

Thanks

If you do a Google & Youtube search, you'll find some great info about snorkeling for free right off Mahogany Bay's pier at the end of the beach.

as well as their blog is one of the first I found doing a search.

If you do a Google & Youtube search, you'll find some great info about snorkeling for free right off Mahogany Bay's pier at the end of the beach.
as well as their blog is one of the first I found doing a search.

Thanks this is exactly what I was looking to find out.

The best snorkeling at Roatan is at West Bay, on the other side of the island. We book Tabyana Beach Break through Carnival. The coral reef starts about 25-30 yards from the shore, lots of different marine life to see...

Same for us! Each and every time. It is the very best place to snorkel in my opinion and beats the heck out of snorkeling in Belize. Also, on the Carnival excursion, they have security on the beach so you can leave your stuff on your chair and not worry about it. Be sure to have a Monkey La La. It is Roatan's special drink and my personal favorite 😊

When we went to Roatan, we did a day tour through Victor Bodden, so I can't speak to snorkeling at Mahogony Bay. However, we did the monkeys---which were really neat, but one of them bit my son. He was holding seeds in his hand, and the monkeys wanted them. It was not a bad bite, but did break the skin. He was fine (and the monkeys have their shots, according to our guide), but I think it is good for people to have a heads up.

We did snorkel on the other side of the island, and it was great.

Glad you posted this about the monkeys. We were warned not to bring any food items for the monkeys in our pockets, as they will smell anything on you and then aggressively attempt to get the peanuts or whatever from your clothing.

The attendants at the park "control" the monkeys by bribing them with food, so having food with you defeats that purpose.

As far as the OP's question, yes, you can just go to the beach next door to the pier and not spend any money. It is a man made beach and the water gets oily from sun screen and the bottom is mostly slimy crushed limestone, but you can do it without spending a dime. The beach area itself will be crowded with lounges set up in tight rows.

There are many other "better" experiences, but they involve a cash outlay.

I appreciate saving money on a port, but do yourself a favor and go to Little French Key. If there was one place I would go on my last day on this earth, it would be Little French Key. Great beach, warm water, great food, super clear water, and a zoo to boot.

And I thought it was bad being pee'd on by a monkey. (Not just a little bit either)

we did the victor boddan tour and we asked to go snorkeling so one of the stops was a beach where we could go snorkeling. That being said of you are into snorkeling Belize was the best of the three. The national park snorkeling was amazing as well as the sea turtle sanctuary. We took a plane from port but I think some groups have a fast boat as well. Belize>roatan>Cozumel

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Some of the best snorkeling in the Caribbean is on the other side of the island. Save up and grab an excursion to West Bay. MUCH better snorkeling and beach. IMO, Mahogany Bay is very substandard.

I have to echo Swampbabe's post. The West side of the island is much better for snorkeling. We did the West Bay snorkeling and it was about $40/pp.

If you want to lay on the beach and get sun, then go to Carnival's Mahogany Bay.

If you want good snorkeling, spend the money and go to the west side of the island. West Bay is a good choice.

Take care,

Mike

That's interesting. Thanks.

Following this. Just checked and there will be four ships in port when we stop in Roatan. We initially thought we would just get off and stay by the port, but with 4 ships, probably not the best idea. Hubby really just wants to have a beer that he can't get in the US that he remembers from when he went to Honduras after college. But I don't want to be in a sea of people in order to do it! So....will be checking these things out and will need to book something. Christmas week, so I'll need to find something!