Anthem of the Seas - Deck 6 good choice?

Hi, We are leaving in 5 days on the Anthem of the Seas, 1st cruise, our cabin is on Deck 6 towards the back of the ship. We booked late and that was the only room left with a balcony with an obstructed view. Is Deck 6 usually a quiet deck, was this a good choice? Thank you, we cannot wait for Saturday!

Since your trip is in 5 days, it really won't matter if someone thinks it's a good choice or not - not like you can change it:(.

But hopefully it's on the port side of the ship rather than the starboard side, as that area has had reports of smoke from the smoking area on deck 5 making the balconies smelly:eek:.

Positive is that you'll be on a cruise! Bermuda isn't a lot of sea days so the smoking area will most likely not be heavily utilized.

Enjoy your trip:D

• 2 months later...
Hi, We are leaving in 5 days on the Anthem of the Seas, 1st cruise, our cabin is on Deck 6 towards the back of the ship. We booked late and that was the only room left with a balcony with an obstructed view. Is Deck 6 usually a quiet deck, was this a good choice? Thank you, we cannot wait for Saturday!

Hi,

I'm booked on Anthem for February, last minute booking. went with 2 OB cabins and they are on starboard side.. I'm seeing all these negative reviews now and I'm nervous.. What cabin did you have and how bad was it? I'm thinking I'm stuck now, but hearing it's noisy and smells of smoke? This would not be acceptable, Help... I hope you can ease some anxiety. My cabins are 6688 and 6686 Thank you for any info.

We really liked deck 6 because it's convenient to all, and we like being close to the sea. We prefer forward to aft. 6556 was our favorite D8 cabin, and we'd book it again (or in that area) if available. We booked a guarantee on our last sailing and had 6566, which is 50% obstructed - we didn't really care for the view, but it was only $50 total more than an inside so it was worth it to have the added light and fresh air.

robtulipe is the deck 6 expert. Hopefully he will see this post and provide some helpful info

Edited by DonnaK

Just recently spent 12 nights in 6272, loved it ! It's listed as an obstructed view, had the davit for a lifeboat off the the LH side, and below and to the right was the glass roof of Jamies.

I'd book this cabin again for our next cruise on the Anthem, the upper entrance to 270 was right down the hall. ( my favorite place for breakfast and some R&R ) :)

:edit: and...the pics are upside down :(

IMG_1052.jpg.fbdab1cc3107381c106f7c82746c796d.jpg

IMG_1053.jpg.20926064164bdd6c41373c6a0bcdb69b.jpg

IMG_1054.jpg.6d22e85f9582828cb9bf9f9752bc36cd.jpg

IMG_1055.jpg.cea259fa6f85a0af45a7e1853065bbd8.jpg

IMG_1056.jpg.e457cb6b80906e39339d49e9c99276a4.jpg

Edited by MikeandConnie

We're on Anthem now, deck 6 starboard, near forward elevators... Love it and no problems at all with no smells or smoke. We booked balcony GTY at a great price and couldn't be happier.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Hi DaisyL,

my cabins are 6688 6686 so more toward the aft... I'm hearing there is a smoking lounge below these cabins on deck 5 and the smell of smoke will be very strong in my cabins. Of course I find this out after I booked. I don't care about obstruction at this point, but I do care very much about the smoke issue. can you ask around or check it out and let me know.. I would be so grateful, possibly ease some anxiety. Also, how are the beds? I'm hearing they are very firm and people have not been happy with them. This surprised me because on my other RC ships the beds were awesome.. any feedback is greatly appreciated.. Have a great cruise!

Karen

We stayed in 6162 and loved the location forward near elevators. Most activities took place on deck 3,4 and 5. We try not to use the stairs, so going up to the pool once or twice was not an issue (occasionally took enervator). Just down one flight for a drink or a snack also diamond lounge one flight down and across, we found deck six was very convenient for us. We booked the same room for next year.

Chris

Hi DaisyL,

my cabins are 6688 6686 so more toward the aft... I'm hearing there is a smoking lounge below these cabins on deck 5 and the smell of smoke will be very strong in my cabins. Of course I find this out after I booked. I don't care about obstruction at this point, but I do care very much about the smoke issue. can you ask around or check it out and let me know.. I would be so grateful, possibly ease some anxiety. Also, how are the beds? I'm hearing they are very firm and people have not been happy with them. This surprised me because on my other RC ships the beds were awesome.. any feedback is greatly appreciated.. Have a great cruise!

Karen

The smoking area that is on deck 5 starboard side is just below cabins 6674 to 6684 so those two cabin are just to the rear of that area so smoke might be a problem. Cabin 6686 also has a davit, the one at the bow of lifeboat # 15, in front of it as shown in the shot below taken from deck 10 to the rear of that area. Smoking area is in the glass covered enclosure between the two lifeboat davits and has a glass outer and side walls that are floor to the sloped inward ceiling so the cigarette smoke tends to flow towards the underneath the balconies there as there is only a half partition on the inside of that enclosure if I recall correctly.

The beds in the 3 cabins we've had on Anthem were very firm but that is what we are use to at home so were OK for us. Many others likely wouldn't want such firmness in their mattress.

attachment.php?attachmentid=398892&d=1479934682

P1061050a.jpg.355b8a318b2567bb7180862478ad226d.jpg

Edited by robtulipe

If you want to look at something different...Check your cruise planner to see if the deck 7 or 8 DO cabins are available. Their objection is part of the superstructure of the ship, rather than the lifeboats. In fact they look really cool so our friends and us chose to keep these over a non-obstructed balcony for this very reason a couple of weeks ago when we revisited our booking.

Heres my original thread when we were deciding between deck 6 vs 7 and 8

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2410193

We had a cabin on port side deck 6 at the rear of Anthem, #6292, which was very noisy as it is just above the crew service area for the Café Two70 and Jamie's Italian restaurant. Also there are the kitchens for both of the above eateries in that area. Below are shots of what is under the front of that port side rear jump (wide) area of deck 6.

That area on the starboard side should be OK noise wise and is far back enough from the deck 5 smoker's area so that shouldn't be a problem. There is access to the second level of Two70 from the rear section of deck 6 which we found handy as the internet café and library are there. Also there are two staircases and an accessible elevator down to deck 5 also from the second level of Two70 which was great for accessing that area.

attachment.php?attachmentid=398893&d=1479936865

attachment.php?attachmentid=398894&d=1479936865

attachment.php?attachmentid=398895&d=1479936865

P3121693.jpg.37ab3a249de78a16d9fbc0be0ddd830b.jpg

P3121697.jpg.98a86eae28b406d5bfc176e02a7b829e.jpg

P3121696.jpg.b803ed32992f4e4e4592857a9016f52b.jpg

Edited by robtulipe

If you want to look at something different...Check your cruise planner to see if the deck 7 or 8 DO cabins are available. Their objection is part of the superstructure of the ship, rather than the lifeboats. In fact they look really cool so our friends and us chose to keep these over a non-obstructed balcony for this very reason a couple of weeks ago when we revisited our booking.

Those deck 7 and 8 Category DO are very desirable in spite of their forward location and rarely, if ever available to a late booking. Only possibility is maybe a late cancellation or cabin upgrade.

Edited by robtulipe

Those deck 7 and 8 Category DO are very desirable in spite of their forward location and rarely, if ever available to a late booking. Only possibility is maybe a late cancellation or cabin upgrade.

I booked my march cruise about a month ago and all the 6 of the deck 7 DO's were open and 1 of the 4 deck 8's was there. Must be an anomaly!

Of course our itinerary is not great at all but they needed to fill March with 7 day cruises. So we are stopping at Port Canaveral-->CoCoCay-->Nassau. But we did it for the ship and the absolute killer price. close to half the price of any other balcony room for the week of March 12 on RC, Carnival, or Norwegian!

Either way if you can find one you should snag it!

I booked my march cruise about a month ago and all the 6 of the deck 7 DO's were open and 1 of the 4 deck 8's was there. Must be an anomaly!

Of course our itinerary is not great at all but they needed to fill March with 7 day cruises. So we are stopping at Port Canaveral-->CoCoCay-->Nassau. But we did it for the ship and the absolute killer price. close to half the price of any other balcony room for the week of March 12 on RC, Carnival, or Norwegian!

Either way if you can find one you should snag it!

Yours wasn't a late booking if booked last month or 5 months out.

Likely most of the Cat. DO cabins were available when you booked as these aren't in demand especially for a poor itinerary as you mentioned you're on. There is still one on deck 7 and one deck 8 available right now and there is also a huge number, I just counted 35, of the deck 6 DO cabins showing. Also most categories are showing huge availability so your cruise definitely isn't selling well.

I know I've been following the availability of our Anthem Jan. 12th cruise for quite some time. I waited to booked last month while on our Brilliance TA. Those deck 7 and 8 DO cabins were ones in that category to be booked the quickest and right now only Cat. DO balconies, 18 of them on deck 6, are available in the Superior balcony class of cabins.

Also the 12 night much better itinerary with 5 extra nights onboard we are doing in January has only a cruise fare of just over $100US each more than March 12th 7 night itinerary would cost us right now even with its massive availability. By doing this as an onboard booking the OBC of $100 each we're getting makes the cost of our January cruise about the same. :D

Even if the March 12th 7 night cruise was done as an onboard booking that would have only provided us with $75 each.

I believe we got our cruise at an fantastic price. Of course we will be paying more in port fees for the three extra ports we go into and for five days of additional gratuities.

Edited by robtulipe

While on the cruise in May, I found the bed too hard, to the point of being uncomfortable. I was going to ask for extra padding prior to the cruise but forgot, but luckily the bed already had it... Yeah! What a difference, so comfortable.

Btw, my SIL mentioned that the bed was too hard for her after the first night but told her to ask for the padding. She did, and is very pleased now.

Deck 6 aft is massively convenient for getting to the Esplanade and 270, we loved it.

Never had any noise from the restaurant/shops below or from the deck outside.

I did though shock a maintenance chap very early one morning on the roof of the lifeboat outside our stateroom when I ventured partly dressed on to our balcony :eek:

Deck 6 aft is massively convenient for getting to the Esplanade and 270, we loved it.

Never had any noise from the restaurant/shops below or from the deck outside.

I did though shock a maintenance chap very early one morning on the roof of the lifeboat outside our stateroom when I ventured partly dressed on to our balcony :eek:

How far back was your cabin on the rear port side jump section of deck six or was it in that area? If noise wasn't a problem and it was in that rear area you were likely over the public area of Café Two70 and not a crew area.

As I mentioned above we were in the most forward cabin in that jump section, #6292, which was right over the service corridor/elevator/stairs for the crew between Jamie's Italian kitchen and Café Two70 and noise was a problem in that cabin, especially late at night and early in the morning when they were doing the cleanup of equipment, pots and pans, utensils and dishes and bringing up stock from below. :mad:

Edited by robtulipe

While on the cruise in May, I found the bed too hard, to the point of being uncomfortable. I was going to ask for extra padding prior to the cruise but forgot, but luckily the bed already had it... Yeah! What a difference, so comfortable.

Btw, my SIL mentioned that the bed was too hard for her after the first night but told her to ask for the padding. She did, and is very pleased now.

So, how do I request the extra padding? First day, when we meet up with cabin steward? Can I special request it before I board? Will they run out of these special pads?

I had my TA switch cabins.. Now we are on the 8th deck front of ship port side, away from the smoking lounge, I realize it might be a bit rougher seas up front, but I can handle that part. And....obstruction is just the round hole type structure, no lifeboats in direct view. So, I'm very pleased about that.

How far back was your cabin on the rear port side jump section of deck six or was it in that area? If noise wasn't a problem and it was in that rear area you were likely over the public area of Café Two70 and not a crew area.

As I mentioned above we were in the most forward cabin in that jump section, #6292, which was right over the service corridor/elevator/stairs for the crew between Jamie's Italian kitchen and Café Two70 and noise was a problem in that cabin, especially late at night and early in the morning when they were doing the cleanup of equipment, pots and pans, utensils and dishes and bringing up stock from below. :mad:

Just checked and we were in 6664 over the jewellery/watch shop which is opposite Jamies so quite a bit forward than yourselves.

I think we got lucky, we booked it blind when Anthem was first announced and they hadn't even indicated what was going in certain public spaces.

We really enjoyed the convenience of deck 6, 5 minutes to the Esplanade and Cafe 270 through the 'secret' end of corridor door. Thats no good though if you get the issues you experienced :(

So, how do I request the extra padding? First day, when we meet up with cabin steward? Can I special request it before I board? Will they run out of these special pads?

I had my TA switch cabins.. Now we are on the 8th deck front of ship port side, away from the smoking lounge, I realize it might be a bit rougher seas up front, but I can handle that part. And....obstruction is just the round hole type structure, no lifeboats in direct view. So, I'm very pleased about that.

You can email special_needs@rcll.com and request to see if there are any available on your cruise.

Edited by walker409