Anyone been on both - Celebrity and MSC?

renaroo

I've been on several cruises: Carnival (4), Royal (1), Princess (1) and most recently the Celebrity Millennium to Alaska in Summer 2015.

I loved our Celebrity cruise - we sailed Aqua Class with our first ever beverage package (classic) and while I'm not a HUGE drinker, I'm a HUGE fan of the beverage package. Without the package I think about every drink and try to decide if it's worth it, if I should wait, if it's worth spending money .... ruins my fun. Another thing I loved about Celebrity/Aqua is Blu. Two thumbs up - we loved it!

I have a cruise booked for a 7-day Caribbean cruise this summer on the Celebrity Equinox. We have aqua class again, with the premium beverage package, free gratuities, and $300 onboard credit.

Although, there is another option: We could book MSC in the yacht club for about $400 more (total), plus gratuities.

I read up on MSC a little, but don't know if it's worth it. We really want total relaxation and to just enjoy good food, good drinks, good service, and have fun with the entertainment. We don't even care about the ports of call - we've been to most of them already.

I'd love to get thoughts from any cruisers who have done both (or have info about both) cruise lines - Stick with Celebrity or try MSC for a little extra money.

Thanks, cruisers!

We sailed on the Ruby Princess in 2012, and the Celebrity Reflection in 2013 with my wife's best friend and husband. We were looking at MSC in 2014, but we went with the Equinox, they tried MSC. Based on their comments, MSC is no longer an option under consideration.

We were back on the Equinox in 2015, and for the 3rd time next yr. ( Land locked this yr)

EW

MSC yacht club is fantastic! If the ship is your main priority you can't beat it. I sailed both and for $400 I'd jump at the chance to do the YC experience again.

Look on the MSC board should find some feedback.

I'm not sure that I would do a normal balcony on MSC it's a pretty busy ship overall and lots of kids.

December 2015, I actually cruised 1 week on MSC Divina, got off the ship in Miami and went straight to Fort Lauderdale (Port Everglades) and boarded the Celebrity Constellation. That was actually pretty easy to do!

Something that might make a difference in my comparision - I cruised solo.

Overall, I preferred Celebrity over MSC. Celebrity was better for a solo cruiser, since lots of non English speakers on MSC. Which is really not an issue, unless you're sitting at a table where you can talk to no one. That happened almost every breakfast and lunch.

MSC seemed a bit more hectic. Yet both ships were well kept. I preferred the food in both the main dining and buffet in Celebrity. Just slightly.

The entertainment was MUCH BETTER on MSC. MUCH!

In talking with other cruisers, Yacht club sounded pretty awesome!

I will cruise MSC again - not not solo,

I have a Celebrity cruise booked for 2017.

I wish there were more solo opportunities on all cruise lines!!!!!

Edited by crilski

Although, there is another option: We could book MSC in the yacht club for about $400 more (total), plus gratuities.

I read up on MSC a little, but don't know if it's worth it. We really want total relaxation and to just enjoy good food, good drinks, good service, and have fun with the entertainment. We don't even care about the ports of call - we've been to most of them already.

Thanks, cruisers!

We did MSC Divina Yacht Club 2 years ago after MANY Celebrity trips.

Note that C-critic member reviews have MSC about 50% recommend while X has 70-80% depending on ship. Divina is beautiful but with 'kids free' then, it was overrun with noisy congested public areas. Agree the theater production shows were top quality.

YC was EXPENSIVE exclusivity. Free drinks ONLY within YC card-access area. The YC Italian restaurant was good but a bit stuffy service. Standard YC suite was same 300 sq ft as X, balcony even smaller. Ambiance within YC area was quiet, uncrowded. If you're looking for high end relaxing retreat, its ok.

To us, X with our Elite+ perks, bev pkg, specialty restaurants is a much better $ value since we too cruise to relax. No interest in returning to MSC YC for the $. Good Luck

Renaroo - we are going on our first Celebrity cruise next year, however my wife and I went on the MSC Divina in 2014 for a 10-day cruise. Posters are correct, there is a lot of "hit and miss" with the reviews, which I was concerned about. But, we would sail them again anytime! The service style and food preparation "lean" more European, since they are an Italian line. The clientele on board are predominantly Italian, German, French, Spanish, and English. We thought the many languages just added to the international flair, although that is what some people seem to have issues with (it's fun meeting people from all over the world!). As others have said, the entertainment was OUTSTANDING, especially in the main showroom. The Divina is also one of the cleanest ships at sea - and stunningly beautiful. I can't comment on the Yacht Club, but our balcony stateroom was just fine. Good luck with your choice!:)

Thank you so much for this information. I was really going back and forth because the entertainment is supposed to be way better (which a few of you confirmed), but I'm still seeing the "hit and miss" that I've read about.

My husband is SUPER excited about going on Celebrity again, especially with a repeat cruise in Aqua Class, so I think for this one, we'll stick with our Celebrity reservation. BUT, I plan to keep an eye on MSC and hope to try the Yacht Club for a future cruise.

Thank you, all!

so I think for this one, we'll stick with our Celebrity reservation.

Thank you, all!

Having sailed the Equinox 2x, any questions, ask away!

First thought, are either of you craft beer people? The GastroBar is simply an outstanding meeting place for a beer.

EW

We sail Celebrity three or four times a year.

However, we were on the MSC Divina in the yacht club a few years ago - it was absolutely wonderful. No comparison IMHO. However, we only sail from Southampton these days, so no MSC. :mad:

Having sailed the Equinox 2x, any questions, ask away!

First thought, are either of you craft beer people? The GastroBar is simply an outstanding meeting place for a beer.

EW

The only other Celebrity ship we've sailed was the Millennium. I know the Equinox is bigger, but I'm hoping it FEELS bigger. I compared the tonnage, but to be honest, I don't really have a sense of how much more space it really offers. I'm also hoping Blu is just as good as it was on the Millennium. Loved Blu! Wish I didn't have to wait until June!!!!

About beer - We tend to drink more wine, but we do like an occasional specialty brew. We'll definitely have to give GastroBar a try!

The only other Celebrity ship we've sailed was the Millennium. I know the Equinox is bigger, but I'm hoping it FEELS bigger. I compared the tonnage, but to be honest, I don't really have a sense of how much more space it really offers. I'm also hoping Blu is just as good as it was on the Millennium. Loved Blu! Wish I didn't have to wait until June!!!!

About beer - We tend to drink more wine, but we do like an occasional specialty brew. We'll definitely have to give GastroBar a try!

The 2 ships, M class to S class, have a 90% total different flow to them. Both wonderful! The Equinox feels open and very roomie. The outside deck for the Oceanview is a great place to sit with a drink and watch the sun set as the wake slowly disappears behind the ship. We were just in Aqua and Blu last Nov, very good. You have to try Silk Harvest, amazing menu. At times you will wonder if most everyone else has gotten off somewhere! :D

The 2 ships, M class to S class, have a 90% total different flow to them. Both wonderful! The Equinox feels open and very roomie. The outside deck for the Oceanview is a great place to sit with a drink and watch the sun set as the wake slowly disappears behind the ship. We were just in Aqua and Blu last Nov, very good. You have to try Silk Harvest, amazing menu. At times you will wonder if most everyone else has gotten off somewhere! :D

Sounds wonderful. :):):)

I've been on Celebrity quite some time ago (Century) and did MSC Divina out of Rome last summer. I have an upcoming cruise on the Celebrity Eclipse and father out another booked on MSC Preziosa out of Barcelona.

I don't suspect MSC is quite up to Celebrity's standards, but I found Divina to be grossly underrated. The ship was gorgeous and so very clean. Entertainment very good. Pricing was outstanding. I like their loyalty match policies as well.

Some of the "professional" reviewers give these wonderful MSC ships 4 stars and I just don't get that. Both very good experiences, although as noted, it's been some time since I've been on Celebrity.

If you have any specific questions about MSC, just let me know.

Edited by Stockjock

My wife would refuse to cruise with me if I ever booked a MSC cruise again. I have heard that the Yacht Club makes a big difference but our experience was that Celebrity was miles ahead of MSC in almost every area.

As a disclaimer I should point out that our MSC cruise was in Europe and I have heard that MSC is a somewhat different experience elsewhere.

I've been on several cruises: Carnival (4), Royal (1), Princess (1) and most recently the Celebrity Millennium to Alaska in Summer 2015.

I loved our Celebrity cruise - we sailed Aqua Class with our first ever beverage package (classic) and while I'm not a HUGE drinker, I'm a HUGE fan of the beverage package. Without the package I think about every drink and try to decide if it's worth it, if I should wait, if it's worth spending money .... ruins my fun. Another thing I loved about Celebrity/Aqua is Blu. Two thumbs up - we loved it!

I have a cruise booked for a 7-day Caribbean cruise this summer on the Celebrity Equinox. We have aqua class again, with the premium beverage package, free gratuities, and $300 onboard credit.

I'd love to get thoughts from any cruisers who have done both (or have info about both) cruise lines - Stick with Celebrity or try MSC for a little extra money.

Thanks, cruisers!

Comparing Divina Yacht Club experience to Aqua Class on Celebrity is like comparing apples to oranges. Totally, totally different experience. The Yacht Club staff will spoil you rotten! You are basically in your own "little world" up there with your own pool, bars, and dining room. And, the staff on the Divina is outstanding.

The Equinox is a great ship with great staff as well and you will certainly enjoy the ambience on it. You should be happy with either choice. Just go and enjoy whichever ship you choose!