Only one day in Sydney

ceba

For those of you who are familiar with Sydney, would you recommend touring the city over a tour to the Blue Mountains if you only have 1 day?

Yes, the city and it'll be nice since you are at the Intercontinental near the Quay - walking a city is always the best way to city and much of what's best to see in Sydney (suggested in previous posts) is close, all lovely. The ferry can take you to the zoo but it might take more time away from strolling and dining. So that you can still have a harbour cruise (views of the city/Opera house/photo ops are magnificent) another option is a ferry from the quay over to Manly for a walk or beach stroll, maybe have lunch there then back over to the Sydney side. The Tauranga zoo is indeed amazing but I did take my time.

I did do the Blue Mountains as a day trip and regretted not having planned the overnight stay - it was that amazing but if this is your first visit to Sydney, do see that first. I was Down Under much longer and over to NZ too. Have a great time in port :)

Edited by Host Bonjour

For those of you who are familiar with Sydney, would you recommend touring the city over a tour to the Blue Mountains if you only have 1 day?

It comes down to tastes.

Personally I'd do harbour ferry to the zoo

Or

The art galleries and Opera House.

Maybe both, but it'd be a full day.

Thank you! I thought I wanted to do the Blue Mt tours, but the more I read I think I'd be disappointed if I didn't spend some time in the city. It sounds like there's plenty to do. We're staying at the Intercontinental at the harbour. Good location?

Edited by ceba

Thank you! I thought I wanted to do the Blue Mt tours, but the more I read I think I'd be disappointed if I didn't spend some time in the city. It sounds like there's plenty to do. We're staying at the Intercontinental at the harbour. Good location?

Lovely location.

The Blue Mountains make for a lovely day out. But it would be so far down my list that it would be something to do in the second week, if not the third.

The current edition of the CC guide to things to do in Sydney can be found here.

I've stayed at the Intercontinental many times. It's in a great location that puts you within easy walking distance of Circular Quay, the Opera House, the Rocks, and the Botanical Gardens.

Having been to both Sydney and the Blue Mountains several times, if you only have 1 day--spend it in Sydney. It's one of the world's best cities!

• 2 weeks later...

I'm forever telling people to go see the mountains. But in this case for only one day I'd definitely stick to city highlights.

If nothing else, the travel to and from the blue mountains will take 4+ hours round trip depending on destination. Within the city that could be enough to visit another museum, take in a show at the opera house, take the ferry to Manly and back, etc.