Hearing disability

We are going on the Oasis this October.

Has anyone ever used the portable room kits they have available? Do they get your attention for someone knocking on the door?

you can get a disabled stateroom, and those staterooms should have doorbells that when someone rings it, light flashes so people who are hard of hearing will see the flashes and know someone is at the door

I don't know about the room kits.

Has anyone ever used the portable room kits they have available? Do they get your attention for someone knocking on the door?

I wasn't aware of any type of help in the actual cabins. But, have you looked into getting an interpreter for the cruise? We cruised several years ago with my daughter and her husband. Both are deaf. Royal provided 2 interpreter's for the cruise. There were 2, so they could trade off being available all the time. They were there for all the shows. During dinner, and even for excursions. The kids could understand and enjoy all the shows. At dinner they helped the kids, make their choices known to the waiter's. Also they got a lot more help enjoying excursions. They met us, once we had boarded. They left the kids alone, when they weren't needed, but were readily available when they were needed. Royal provided them at no cost to the kids. They were a godsend. You might want to check this out.

There is a kit available for those with hearing loss. I haven't seen the kit personally, but a door flasher would be standard equipment in any ADA compliant kit for those with hearing disabilities.

You should contact RC's Special Needs a month before your cruise. You can fill out an online form and specify the accommodations you need - a hearing disability kit is on the list. Here's the link to the form on the website:

https://secure.royalcaribbean.com/allaboutcruising/guestSpecialNeeds.do

I hope you can get what you need!

Judy

Edited by foxgoodrich

We are going on the Oasis this October.

Yes, we've used the portable room kits which includes door knocker, an alarm clock, and a fire alarm. You do need to contact RC's special needs department so that they can have this in your room on embarkation day.

Thanks all. I am cruising with family and we are in separate cabins. They have done the interpreting for me and I appreciate it. I have a problem hearing someone at the door. Like Room service. Or the attendant who let themselves in when I don't hear the knock. I have explained to them but they forget. But it's never been a big deal. I will be calling to get the room kit. I better hurry. It's a month away.

Yes, we've used the portable room kits which includes door knocker, an alarm clock, and a fire alarm. You do need to contact RC's special needs department so that they can have this in your room on embarkation day.

That makes sense. I guess deaf is a politicially incorrect word these days. Hearing disability covers a wide gap, including myself (75% loss in left ear, 50% in the right ear.) I wouldn't want one of these, but I have no trouble hearing the call to muster or other emergency calls.

Some people won't book the hump cabins on the Radiance class because of Centrum noise. Its a perfect cabin for me. Glad I came onto this thread, this is something I could need in the future.

I'm legally deaf. but do not need a cabin unit. However, I do not understand or very little any announcement, or most entertainment on the ship. I really feel that the cruise lines need to step up and install hearing improvement systems like some of the airport do now. My hearing aids are bluetooth, and some have others built in hearing enhancers. Unfortunately my aids do not improve the foreign language barrier, but my onboard wife is my second pair of ears.

That makes sense. I guess deaf is a politicially incorrect word these days. Hearing disability covers a wide gap, including myself (75% loss in left ear, 50% in the right ear.) I wouldn't want one of these, but I have no trouble hearing the call to muster or other emergency calls.

Some people won't book the hump cabins on the Radiance class because of Centrum noise. Its a perfect cabin for me. Glad I came onto this thread, this is something I could need in the future.

Actually, the terms 'Deaf' and 'Hard of Hearing' are preferred by most of the adult Deaf Community, so you are politically correct, Bill. Not to worry!

This accessibility discussion takes me back to how things were years ago as a professional in the field...my boss was a Deaf school superintendent who was quite well known nationally. We spent some time in the pre-ADA 1980's on the road traveling our state to set up model programs for D/HH children in partnership with public school districts. When we had to stay overnight in a hotel, he would give me a key to his room and tell me what time he wanted to get up. I'd set my alarm, get up, go to his room, open his door and flash the lights on and off to wake him up.

Having served personally as a human alarm clock a few times during my career, I applaud the availability of a kit with appropriate devices as a great improvement!;)

Judy

Edited by foxgoodrich

I'm legally deaf. but do not need a cabin unit. However, I do not understand or very little any announcement, or most entertainment on the ship. I really feel that the cruise lines need to step up and install hearing improvement systems like some of the airport do now. My hearing aids are bluetooth, and some have others built in hearing enhancers. Unfortunately my aids do not improve the foreign language barrier, but my onboard wife is my second pair of ears.

According to the special needs brochure, there are "assisted listening systems" in the main theatre on all ships and in studio B on the ships that have a studio B.

http://www.royalcaribbean.com/allaboutcruising/accessibleseas/hearingImpairment.do

Are those systems something that would work with your hearing aids? I know my niece is completely deaf in one ear and the university she attends has a system that she can connect to with her hearing aids and it totally changed her college experience.

I used the kit on Freedom in July and none of the work. (Never had the fire alert). The alarm clock never worked and it was so old fashioned. It was rectangle box look and had no direction in how to set it. My interpreters tried to help me but just could not get it to go off at certain time. I used my iPhone alarm and put under the pillow which was inside the pillow case.

Wish the door worked because my cousin had to get new key because he left it in room and I never heard nor the light went off in my room. [emoji29]

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app