What do the Cunard staff call you?

Adammara

Thinking about our forthcoming cruise, I was wondering how the stewards and waiters address the passengers. We have been on 4 different cruise lines, and various ships on those lines, and it varies how we are addressed by the crew.

My first name is Richard, but from memory have been called Sir, Richard, Mr Richard, Sir Richard (I'm not!) and Mr XXXXXXX, is it left to the individual member depending on the relationship, or is there is a set policy for addressing passengers on Cunard?

How about: "They call me Mister Tibbs?" Sorry, I figured I had to throw a real lame one in there!

On Cunard I was always called 'Miss Diane'. I have just returned from Celebrity where all the staff looked at the names on our cards and called us 'Diana' and 'David'. I don't think we had a single 'Miss' or 'Mr' on the whole cruise.

As for hugging, I have travelled on Queen Victoria so often that I generally get a few hugs from staff members. On Celebrity I got a hug from the DJ on our second cruise - very happy to see us back.

On Cunard I was always called 'Miss Diane'. I have just returned from Celebrity where all the staff looked at the names on our cards and called us 'Diana' and 'David'. I don't think we had a single 'Miss' or 'Mr' on the whole cruise.

As for hugging, I have travelled on Queen Victoria so often that I generally get a few hugs from staff members. On Celebrity I got a hug from the DJ on our second cruise - very happy to see us back.

We had a waiter in the Queens Grill Lounge buy us drinks once. He waited on us 3 years in a row. He wasn't in the Queens Grill the first 2 times we saw him. His professionalism, I think, is what got him promoted each time.

My brother's wife is Filipina & trust me! No one is addressed as sir!

You do surprise me. Here in the UK at my local Church we have a very large Filipino community . So this morning I asked this very question and they confirmed that this form of address is often use by the younger generation as sign of respect to an elder, maybe not to another family member but certainly to a visiting guest.

I'm sure I'm not the only solo Gent who has been addressed this way by (Filipino) Customer facing crew members onboard 'any cruise ship'. I've only just disembarked from the QM2 crossing of September 1st , almost every evening last week, the table waiter often addressed me this way, when initially presenting the menu.

Not too sure if your Sister in law is in the hospitality industry or not, but this form of address is still being used out there from time to time.