Pier in Moorea

Abie

I have been looking at shore excursions and contacted Moorea Miti Tours. They got back to me quickly and asked at which pier the ship docks. Does anyone know if it is Cooks or Opunohu bay? They can pick up at Cooks, but not the other.

The PG generally docks at Opunohu Bay, but sometimes in Cook's Bay. Neither should present a problem for Moorea Miti as their base is in Cook's and they pass Opunohu on the way to the first stop. We had a wonderful day with the husband/wife team who operate MM. We were transported by van from the Hilton to their pier and after getting underway we stopped at the pier in Opunohu Bay to pickup a couple from the PG. It gave us a great opportunity to see the ship before boarding the next day. After the trip they were dropped at the same pier and we were dropped at the Hilton pier. ENJOY.

I'm surprised that a tour operator would say they couldn't pick up at Opunohu Bay, since this is the most common place where the PG anchors (although not always.) Most operators are very flexible, since the two bays are side-by-side, so about a 15 minute drive or so apart.

I believe Cooks Bay is deeper at the entrance thus the PG with a shallow draft goes over to the other bay as other ships requiring a deeper reef entrance can use Cooks Bay. If it is known that no other ship will need Cooks the captain at his disgression can choose.

Edited by Tahitianbigkahuna

Thanks for the replies. According to my email, if the ship is in Opunohu bay the tenders from the ship are too late for the 8:15 start of the tour.

Oh, I see. Looks like the tour begins in Cook's Bay, so they can't take the extra time to pick people up from Opunohu. I suspect that precludes booking this tour, except perhaps at the last minute if the ship anchors in Cook's.

Thanks so much for your input! I guess I will have to find another tour. I liked the small number of people on the Miti tour, as snorkeling with 25 people is not as fun. I have learned so much from this site -

Can' t wait for my trip in March.

Thanks so much for your input! I guess I will have to find another tour. I liked the small number of people on the Miti tour, as snorkeling with 25 people is not as fun. I have learned so much from this site -

Can' t wait for my trip in March.

It just doesn't make sense that the tour company will only operate from Cooks.

Cruise ships are hardly ever there! Do yourself a favor and rent a car and tour the island yourself. Plenty to see and do unless you have to see stingrays and snorkel.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Edited by twin123185

If the vendor tells you he won't pick you up, that is one thing. Email them and ask if they can pick you up at O Bay. It takes about 30+ minutes to get there. They certainly picked up a couple on May 31st this year. We had to wait a few minutes since they missed the first tender. Moorea Miti is a great tour if you can get it.