Tipping Room Service

XXPIPXX

On Indy in 9 days, planning to make the most of a long awaited holiday starting with breakfast in our cabin every morning :)

I have purchased OBC to cover what we spend on the ship and I plan to take a small amount of euros for port days.

So my question is, should I buy some dollars for tipping room service or would it be acceptable to give them euros when they deliver our breakfast?

Just to add we have pre paid the automatic gratuities

Edited by XXPIPXX
Forgot to mention

On Indy in 9 days, planning to make the most of a long awaited holiday starting with breakfast in our cabin every morning :)

I have purchased OBC to cover what we spend on the ship and I plan to take a small amount of euros for port days.

So my question is, should I buy some dollars for tipping room service or would it be acceptable to give them euros when they deliver our breakfast?

Just to add we have pre paid the automatic gratuities

Euros are fine as long as the ship will be in Europe for a while longer.

We always give cash tips in Euros when the ship is sailing in Europe. I know the crew like dollars to send home and we do the prepaid gratuities for this but smaller amounts in local currency can always be used when they have a few hours off in port.

Julie

Not sure, but would assume crew are not sending home envelopes stuffed full of small denomination cash, whatever the currency may be. I'd think they convert it into a check of some sort, but I could be wrong.

Curios if there is some sort of financial/banking service (conversion / deposit / check issuing) on board for crew or do they have to hide their money in a sock drawer and hassle with banking in a port if they get time off. If the ship does not offer any financial services to crew, I could see how exchanging a mish-mash of odd currencies could be a headache.

Not sure, but would assume crew are not sending home envelopes stuffed full of small denomination cash, whatever the currency may be. I'd think they convert it into a check of some sort, but I could be wrong.

Curios if there is some sort of financial/banking service (conversion / deposit / check issuing) on board for crew or do they have to hide their money in a sock drawer and hassle with banking in a port if they get time off. If the ship does not offer any financial services to crew, I could see how exchanging a mish-mash of odd currencies could be a headache.

Doug, they have their own "banking system" on board, with deposits and withdrawals.

:)