Responds SimplyGo Batteries

HurricaneJane

Hi, I am making the 39 day trip from San Diego to Auckland NZ on September 29th. I purchased a new Responds Oxygenator with only one battery... Would like to rent two more to have enough for air flight back to Lax.

If anyone should have two extra batteries and would care to rent then out for 40 days, please contact me at Surely9805@gmail.com

Thanks,

Hi, I am making the 39 day trip from San Diego to Auckland NZ on September 29th. I purchased a new Responds Oxygenator with only one battery... Would like to rent two more to have enough for air flight back to Lax.

If anyone should have two extra batteries and would care to rent then out for 40 days, please contact me at Surely9805@gmail.com

Thanks,

Suggest you look at post No. 3 in this thread..

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2053981&highlight=medical+equipment+rental

The Medical supply company should be able to help you out.. Suggest you read the whole thread..Crew news has posted about the requirements from HAL & also airlines too..He is Joanies DH..

Edited by serendipity1499

Is this Responds Oxygenator a portable oxygen machine? If it is you will need to check with the airline to make sure that this particular machine is allowed by the F.A.A. to be taken aboard and to be used in flight. There are only a few brand names that are allowed and I did not find one by that name.

thanks I misspelled and have already received clearance with airlines, however the flight back is 11 hours and battery is only good for 3.5 hours so will need 3 batteries for the flight from Auckland to LAX. (Phillips Respironics SimplyGo)

Even if there are no delays, 3 batteries will leave you a half hour short (10.5 hours total). Perhaps you meant 3 additional batteries?

Even if there are no delays, 3 batteries will leave you a half hour short (10.5 hours total). Perhaps you meant 3 additional batteries?

I do not need oxygen when sitting on the tarmac and may or may not need it when flying...I have authorization from Dr to walk 300 feet without oxygen but do need it when sleeping yet because I have sleep apnea as well. I would like to be able to rent only for the flight back to the States if that is a possibility..otherwise, would be less expensive for me to purchase the additional batteries myself.

I do not need oxygen when sitting on the tarmac and may or may not need it when flying...I have authorization from Dr to walk 300 feet without oxygen but do need it when sleeping yet because I have sleep apnea as well. I would like to be able to rent only for the flight back to the States if that is a possibility..otherwise, would be less expensive for me to purchase the additional batteries myself.

As my DW's portable oxygen coordinator (POC), I know that you need a doctor's prescription stating flow rate to use POC on the plane. As a caution, each airline has their own requirements for the prescription dating so make sure you check how many days before your flight that the prescription can be dated. We had to cancel a Delta flight home from Alaska because we could not get a prescription 10 days prior to the flight while we were on our 14-day cruise to Alaska.

Most airlines REQUIRE you to prove during check-in that you have 150% battery power to meet the flow rate on your prescription. So three batteries may not satisfy the airlines.

Hope this helps.

Thanks so much CrewNews for your information. I have a travel agent and I sent her your statement about airlines. I have made flights with Alaskan in the States and that is already been ok'd by the airlines. Not sure about when coming home from New Zealand however, and sure wouldn't want to spend more time in New Zealand (or maybe that would be ok) then would have to bring a slow boat back to the States. Anyway, will have travel agent look into it...my prescription is dated July 25 of this year and I need 2 LP when active and when sleeping.. sitting around I do not need it, but don't know when in airplane at high altitude.

I will keep you posted on what I find out.

Most airlines REQUIRE you to prove during check-in that you have 150% battery power to meet the flow rate on your prescription. So three batteries may not satisfy the airlines.

Hope this helps.

My husband required oxygen at 2.5 liters when he was travelling at over 5000'. Most airlines pressurize the passenger cabins to 8000'. EVERY airline that we ever flew on REQUIRED us to prove during check-in that we had 150% battery power. Since your flight is supposed to be 11 hours you would need to have battery power to last for 17.25 hours. That would require you to have 5 batteries. If the gate agent has any questions he will call the pilot to look at your prescription, your unit and your batteries. The pilot has the discretion to tell you that you can't fly if he does not feel you have adequate battery power. (My husband was refused by the pilot once when we thought he had 150% battery power but the pilot said he didn't).

We were never allowed to plug into the electricity on the plane.

My husband required oxygen at 2.5 liters when he was travelling at over 5000'. Most airlines pressurize the passenger cabins to 8000'. EVERY airline that we ever flew on REQUIRED us to prove during check-in that we had 150% battery power. Since your flight is supposed to be 11 hours you would need to have battery power to last for 17.25 hours. That would require you to have 5 batteries. If the gate agent has any questions he will call the pilot to look at your prescription, your unit and your batteries. The pilot has the discretion to tell you that you can't fly if he does not feel you have adequate battery power. (My husband was refused by the pilot once when we thought he had 150% battery power but the pilot said he didn't).

We were never allowed to plug into the electricity on the plane.

Thanks Jane, Since this flight is on New Zealand Air If I do not have enough oxygen that they will be able to provide what I need...my concentrator was not one listed to be able to be plugged in. So I will get my Travel Agent to check with them. Perhaps it would have just been easier to have the oxygen provided by the airline and forget trying it on battery?

I have no elevation limit according to my prescription and do not require oxygen when sitting...only when exercising or walking beyond 300 feet. So I will not be using oxygen constantly on this flight. I have been exercising since March and have been walking 1 1/2 miles on 2LP on treadmill and working to a dvd at home and have lost 20 pounds since March so hopefully will be in good enough condition I am also planning to attend the exercise personal trainer on the ship and exercise as I have been doing at home (so I can eat what I want without putting this weight back on:)) Hope to see you at the Meet and Greet on the 30th.

Thanks Jane, Since this flight is on New Zealand Air If I do not have enough oxygen that they will be able to provide what I need...my concentrator was not one listed to be able to be plugged in. So I will get my Travel Agent to check with them. Perhaps it would have just been easier to have the oxygen provided by the airline and forget trying it on battery?

I have no elevation limit according to my prescription and do not require oxygen when sitting...only when exercising or walking beyond 300 feet. So I will not be using oxygen constantly on this flight. I have been exercising since March and have been walking 1 1/2 miles on 2LP on treadmill and working to a dvd at home and have lost 20 pounds since March so hopefully will be in good enough condition I am also planning to attend the exercise personal trainer on the ship and exercise as I have been doing at home (so I can eat what I want without putting this weight back on:)) Hope to see you at the Meet and Greet on the 30th.

ONE IMPORTANT WORD OF WARNING!!!!

Be VERY Careful when plugging in your POC at the airport and/or on the plane (I've never done the plane so...)!!!

I say this warning because the only 2 times I have had to plug my POC in at an airport it has blown the motherboard out:( Luckily, the POC still worked but did NOT charge while plugged in as it was supposed to:(

The POC waorked to provide O2 but did not charge, which meant I ran out of O2 as we were landing in Denver. Thankfully, we had a 90 minute layover in Denver and my hubby, Crew News and one of our Flight attendants and Gate member were able to hook my Charger up and get one battery charged enough before we boarded our last flight to Albuquerque, a 90 minute flight. If not for them, I would have been stuck.

I have no idea why the Airport blew my motherboard, but it cost a pretty penny to get them replaced each time:(

Moral of my sad tale is USE YOUR CHARGER to charge batteries at the airport and DO NOT plug your POC directly into the airport plugs.

Joanie

Joanie, when did this damage occur when you plugged the POC into outlets at the airport? Our POC is the latest version purchased about three months ago. I was wondering if the problem has been corrected in a later version of the machine.

Thanks for any info.

Judy

Joanie, when did this damage occur when you plugged the POC into outlets at the airport? Our POC is the latest version purchased about three months ago. I was wondering if the problem has been corrected in a later version of the machine.

Thanks for any info.

Judy

Judy, first instance was my SeQual3 which was only 3 years old at the time (used only for travel.) Since we thought at the time that it was probably the age of the machine, after returning home we bought the SeQual5. Very first time we plugged it in at the airport just to charge the battery in use at that time (for getting from home to the airport, maybe 30 minute usage.) It was at that time that we noticed it was not charging....So....when we got to our hotel in Ft Lauderdale, we called the manufacturer (had their # from the 1st time) and arranged an Overnight delivery of temporary rental and pickup of the now 'broken' POC.

Both times the manufacturer said it was 'Motherboard burnout.'

BTW, the last 'burnout was this past November 2015.

Joanie

My partner uses oxygen with his sleep apnea machine only. We are getting a POC for our cruise in Asia. It is an FAA approved unit. Do we have to do anything special if he's only bringing it on the plane but not using it? Thanks for your help.

Helen

Sent from my iPad using Forums

My partner uses oxygen with his sleep apnea machine only. We are getting a POC for our cruise in Asia. It is an FAA approved unit. Do we have to do anything special if he's only bringing it on the plane but not using it? Thanks for your help.

Helen

Sent from my iPad using Forums

From my research, the POC procedures are the same whether it is for use, OR NOT, on the aircraft. This also includes the prescription, physician's letter, and 150% battery life even if you don't plan to use it while on the aircraft.

It is important that you contact your airline and get their rules in writing so that you are not surprised at the boarding gate.

An alternative is to rent an oxygen concentrator from HAL for use on board from: "Special Needs at Sea" or "Care Vacations". Both will have your concentrator in your stateroom when you board as well as a locker of spare units and parts on board, if needed.

Judy, first instance was my SeQual3 which was only 3 years old at the time (used only for travel.) Since we thought at the time that it was probably the age of the machine, after returning home we bought the SeQual5. Very first time we plugged it in at the airport just to charge the battery in use at that time (for getting from home to the airport, maybe 30 minute usage.) It was at that time that we noticed it was not charging....So....when we got to our hotel in Ft Lauderdale, we called the manufacturer (had their # from the 1st time) and arranged an Overnight delivery of temporary rental and pickup of the now 'broken' POC.

Both times the manufacturer said it was 'Motherboard burnout.'

BTW, the last 'burnout was this past November 2015.

Joanie

So this was not a Respironics Simply Go unit. I am going to ask that specific question on the Handicapped/Disabled board.

Judy

From my research, the POC procedures are the same whether it is for use, OR NOT, on the aircraft. This also includes the prescription, physician's letter, and 150% battery life even if you don't plan to use it while on the aircraft.

It is important that you contact your airline and get their rules in writing so that you are not surprised at the boarding gate.

An alternative is to rent an oxygen concentrator from HAL for use on board from: "Special Needs at Sea" or "Care Vacations". Both will have your concentrator in your stateroom when you board as well as a locker of spare units and parts on board, if needed.

Thank you so much for the information. I contacted United Airlines and they have a list of approved POC's. Since he's not using it onboard all she had to do is note the reservation that he will be bringing it on the plane. We go to the VA on Tuesday to arrange for the POC so now I have the list of what the airline will accept.

One last question - do I have to notify HAL in advance as well?

Helen

Thank you so much for the information. I contacted United Airlines and they have a list of approved POC's. Since he's not using it onboard all she had to do is note the reservation that he will be bringing it on the plane. We go to the VA on Tuesday to arrange for the POC so now I have the list of what the airline will accept.

One last question - do I have to notify HAL in advance as well?

Helen

Glad to be of help in avoiding pitfalls that we have encountered.

No need to notify HAL if you are bringing your own oxygen unless you want one of their "Oxygen in Use" signs on your mailbox.

Note that medical supplies are NOT counted as part of your carry-on luggage limits per FAA Regulations.

Edited by Crew News

Glad to be of help in avoiding pitfalls that we have encountered.

No need to notify HAL if you are bringing your own oxygen unless you want one of their "Oxygen in Use" signs on your mailbox.

Note that medical supplies are NOT counted as part of your carry-on luggage limits per FAA Regulations.

Thanks, have been in contact with oxygen provider and have purchased an adapter for NZ power supply...Hopefully can recharge batteries on the ship that will be needed to return to LAX.. Do not need oxygen 24/7....so hopefully, can top off the battery charge at the airport.

Edited by HurricaneJane