Quick question: Grand Cayman -- docked?

beltane

Hello all... quick question. It has been about 10 years since I have been to Georgetown, Grand Cayman. I am looking at an itinerary which includes it and it says "docked"... is that new? Am I remembering incorrectly? I thought I remembered tender boats to get to Grand Cayman. Have they built piers since I was last there?

Grand Cayman has approved the construction of cruise ship docks in a very controversial plan. But construction has not yet started and I'd imagine it would be a multi-year project after it starts. So they'll be tendering there for some time to come.

Latest is that they are still working on financing on the $150 to $200 million project and negotiating with cruise lines for financial participation in the project.

http://www.travelpulse.com/news/destinations/150m-cayman-islands-cruise-port-is-approved.html

https://caymannewsservice.com/tag/cruise-dock-facility/

Edited by Lsimon

Grand Cayman has approved the construction of cruise ship docks in a very controversial plan. But construction has not yet started and I'd imagine it would be a multi-year project after it starts. So they'll be tendering there for some time to come.

]

And some of the 'recommended' snorkeling is where the dock is being considered, at Cheeseburger Bay, just behind the Burger King :eek:

Beautiful coral and lots of sea life, cause people toss leftovers in from BK!

We dodged the tenders coming an going in Nov 2014. If it is built there a lot of beauty will be lost.:(

Thanks for the update! Here's a screen shot of the itinerary on Celebrity's website, so I don't think I'm losing my marbles...

Screenshot_2016-09-02_at_2_30_54_PM.png

Greetings

Just looks like a Celebrity web site error (surprise, surprise). I think the mistake is that you will tender in Cayman and dock in Ocho Rios.

Good Sailing

Tom