Hermine and Anthem

Booked on Anthem out of Bayonne Sept 8-17 for New England/Canada cruise. However, I see that Hermine or its high wind remnants may hang around NY coast due to being stalled by a High pressure system well past this weekend. Consequently, the Sept 3 Bermuda cruise may be affected and or delayed due to weather. Anyone on that Bermuda cruise heard anything from RCCL regarding possible change in schedule?

Booked on Anthem out of Bayonne Sept 8-17 for New England/Canada cruise. However, I see that Hermine or its high wind remnants may hang around NY coast due to being stalled by a High pressure system well past this weekend. Consequently, the Sept 3 Bermuda cruise may be affected and or delayed due to weather. Anyone on that Bermuda cruise heard anything from RCCL regarding possible change in schedule?

Have not heard anything from Royal about our Sept 3 sailing, so far everything is still a go to Bermuda :)

I'm on the same sailing as you. I hope the Sept 3rd sailing has smooth seas and gets back on time :):cool:

We are on your cruise. I would not think that a very low level tropical depression will affect tomorrow's cruise and certainly not ours. Looking at the NHC part of NOAA it looks like there is a chance today winds in Newark could be significant tonight, but not likely to be significant tomorrow. Now could it be rough for the folks coming in tonight to Newark, yep. Could they stand off for sometime and not arrive until Saturday afternoon, sure, but think of the mess that will be for the people flying from the cruise. If the mess that happened last winter had not happened, I would say there would be zero chance the ship would return to port late, but having seen the reaction to the mess last winter, it is possible. I think a late return of the current cruise is the worst case scenario, and it probably won't affect the cruise tomorrow except how soon they board the ship.

But who the heck knows.:eek:

JC

We are on the September 3rd sailing too and haven't heard anything yet. We are already in New Jersey and just checked into our hotel. Hoping for Bermuda but time will tell.

From the looks of this map forecast no problem getting out to Bermuda tomorrow. However, getting back in on the 8th may be a problem. Oops, can't seem to add the noaa map http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/refresh/graphics_at4+shtml/212352.shtml?5-daynl#contents

Edited by CruiseAficionado
trying to insert image

I was looking at the Bermuda webcam today and saw that the Breakaway and Summit had left Bermuda early. Hopefully you will get out on the Anthem on time, cruise east, then south toward Bermuda when past the storm. Saturday should be clear all day. You may even leave early.

Eric

Edited by Pomperaugrr

I was looking at the Bermuda webcam today and saw that the Breakaway and Summit had left Bermuda early. Hopefully you will get out on the Anthem on time, cruise east, then south toward Bermuda when past the storm. Saturday should be clear all day. You may even leave early.

Eric

I agree. The uncertainty may be the Sep 3rd cruise getting back and us (Sep 8) leaving. Seen reports Hermine may increase winds the next few days.

Got this from http://www.al.com/news/mobile/index.ssf/2016/09/tropical_storm_hermine_weakens.html

"Hermine could re-strengthen after its center moves offshore of the North Carolina coast on Saturday.

In fact, the hurricane center said some forecast models showed winds climbing back to hurricane force in two to three days."

I, too, am watching Hermine for the 9/3 Anthem Sailing. Called RCCL but so far it's still a go as scheduled. I was on the Anthem in February for that nightmare cruise so I'm quite concerned. I hear we can make it out okay but it appears we will go right into the storm. What's this about the return though. I don't see anything that'll affect the return. :eek:

I, too, am watching Hermine for the 9/3 Anthem Sailing. Called RCCL but so far it's still a go as scheduled. I was on the Anthem in February for that nightmare cruise so I'm quite concerned. I hear we can make it out okay but it appears we will go right into the storm. What's this about the return though. I don't see anything that'll affect the return. :eek:

Departing tomorrow is OK as Hermine will be weakened and further south of the port so the Anthem has only to go out and down to Bermuda. But in the meantime Hermine, which has been downgraded, may increase in force when over water going north to NYC. Then a high pressure system over New York may cause it to stall off New York for several days thus blocking entry to the port and pummeling the beaches. But of course this is all forecast and prediction. It could end up just blowing out to sea by Sept 8. Not trying to scare anyone just alerting to the possibility of possible delay. Wow, you were on the nightmare cruise and sailing again.

FYI - This from the USA Today

After slamming Florida, deadly Hurricane Hermine weakened to a tropical storm Friday but will still focus its fury on the East Coast through the Labor Day weekend.

Some forecasts are showing Hermine (or its remnants) exploding into a monster, hurricane-like storm just off the Delaware and New Jersey coast late Sunday and into Monday, potentially just sitting there and hammering the coast for days.

This could bring levels of destruction to the coast similar to or worse than Sandy.

Maybe our 9/8 NE/Canada cruise will be rerouted to Aruba! LOL

Departing tomorrow is OK as Hermine will be weakened and further south of the port so the Anthem has only to go out and down to Bermuda. But in the meantime Hermine, which has been downgraded, may increase in force when over water going north to NYC. Then a high pressure system over New York may cause it to stall off New York for several days thus blocking entry to the port and pummeling the beaches. But of course this is all forecast and prediction. It could end up just blowing out to sea by Sept 8. Not trying to scare anyone just alerting to the possibility of possible delay. Wow, you were on the nightmare cruise and sailing again.

FYI - This from the USA Today

After slamming Florida, deadly Hurricane Hermine weakened to a tropical storm Friday but will still focus its fury on the East Coast through the Labor Day weekend.

Some forecasts are showing Hermine (or its remnants) exploding into a monster, hurricane-like storm just off the Delaware and New Jersey coast late Sunday and into Monday, potentially just sitting there and hammering the coast for days.

This could bring levels of destruction to the coast similar to or worse than Sandy.

You should avoid the hyped up web pages you are reading, the NHC is showing almost no chance of that happening.... Which doesn't mean it won't happen, but that you are playing in the less than 5% world... Which means if it happens nobody will expect it... Which makes reading forecasts kind of a waste of time, because basically it is saying literally nobody knows.

That said, I think weather forecasting on its best day is a bit of a joke.

JC<---- see you in NYC tomorrow

You should avoid the hyped up web pages you are reading, the NHC is showing almost no chance of that happening.... Which doesn't mean it won't happen, but that you are playing in the less than 5% world... Which means if it happens nobody will expect it... Which makes reading forecasts kind of a waste of time, because basically it is saying literally nobody knows.

It likley isnt going to explode into anything but it is going to be sitting off of NJ until Wednesday and then start to moving north. Best case its going to be rough

Have not heard anything from Royal about our Sept 3 sailing, so far everything is still a go to Bermuda :)

Linda - We just looked at the weather. Should a rockin' good time....

Have fun and win big .... new host is very nice ...

-Cheryl

Thank you :)

Looking towards a little rocking and rolling, I want to feel like we're on a ship as oppose to being on land.

And you will... (just hang on to the railings...and your cocktails.)

Post from the cruise if you have a chance. If not... when you are back.

Have fun...

Sorry, didn't realize I was "in the less than 5% world". Will watch out next time. LOL

Also on the 8th cruise of Anthem. LI, NY info is stating that it will be windy and high seas through Wednesday, beginning on Sunday night. Lots of warnings from county and town....remembering the effects of Sandy. Sure hope all is done by Tuesday as things teally take time to clean up. Vicki

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Also on the 8th cruise of Anthem. LI, NY info is stating that it will be windy and high seas through Wednesday, beginning on Sunday night. Lots of warnings from county and town....remembering the effects of Sandy. Sure hope all is done by Tuesday as things teally take time to clean up. Vicki

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I hope it is long gone by Thursday. However, considering what the Bermuda cruise went through I wonder if Hermine going North will affect our Sep 8 cruise as we cruise North?

I hope it is long gone by Thursday. However, considering what the Bermuda cruise went through I wonder if Hermine going North will affect our Sep 8 cruise as we cruise North?

It looks like it will lead us north. I bought Bonine today at a NYC drugstore. That said, it is loosing strength, but it is still an issue. Fortunately, we missed the horrible outcome USA Today was predicting.:rolleyes::D. I road the subway a few times the last few days despite their forecast.

JC