MDR drinks/wine waiter: "etiquette"?

fann1sh

Three weeks until our first sailing with *either* an Explore 4 or Signature Beverage Package.

In past, we always brought a crate (or 2, or 3 :eek:) of bottled wine aboard, paid corkage, and left it with the beverage manager to store under our cabin number. Bringing aboard wine with a hand truck tends to be memorable, so the wine waiter came to our MDR table on the first night.

This voyage, I'm not sure if we'll even bring the 3 people=3 bottles we're allowed *before* corkage! It depends on how busy we are in Vancouver the day before embarking, and whether we can physically schlep the wine as carry-on. (Dad in wheelchair won't be able to help, but it's amazing how a rolling walker with seat can double for a hand truck.....;))

But, if we're just relying on our Explore 4 - how do the beverage staff COPE? Is it "good form" (saves staff a trip) or "bad form"(wine in MDR should come from MDR) to bring a glass of wine from a bar with you? Is getting a second glass even possible, part way through the meal?

HAL crew are amazing, but I can't think the dining room staff would love this shift to pre-paid drinks!

Help, please??? Thanks in advance for any responses.

Edited by fann1sh

Three weeks until our first sailing with *either* an Explore 4 or Signature Beverage Package.

In past, we always brought a crate (or 2, or 3 :eek:) of bottled wine aboard, paid corkage, and left it with the beverage manager to store under our cabin number. Bringing aboard wine with a hand truck tends to be memorable, so the wine waiter came to our MDR table on the first night.

This voyage, I'm not sure if we'll even bring the 3 people=3 bottles we're allowed *before* corkage! It depends on how busy we are in Vancouver the day before embarking, and whether we can physically schlep the wine as carry-on. (Dad in wheelchair won't be able to help, but it's amazing how a rolling walker with seat can double for a hand truck.....;))

But, if we're just relying on our Explore 4 - how do the beverage staff COPE? Is it "good form" (saves staff a trip) or "bad form"(wine in MDR should come from MDR) to bring a glass of wine from a bar with you? Is getting a second glass even possible, part way through the meal?

HAL crew are amazing, but I can't think the dining room staff would love this shift to pre-paid drinks!

Help, please??? Thanks in advance for any responses.

Lots of people carry their drinks from the Ocean Bar or any bar to the MDR. No biggie. Don't give it a thought.

some prefer not to but many do and there are no "carrying your glass around" police on board.

I think the staff are covered in their tips so they should be happy to get you drinks.

If a lot of people have Explore4 then there could be a delay in service.

We're happy to get the wines and make sure we have our wine steward ;)

It will be fine, no worries ;)

Thanks for the reassurance, Jacqui.

And special thanks to you, Dave, for pointing out the familiar wine steward isn't my "go to" guy this time.

Not unless we manage to schlep those bottles. At least the government B. C. liquor stores are a familiar Canadian concept :D . I've Googled the two closest to the pier. Plus, I won't be shocked at shore prices - having doubtless paid more here in Ontario. :eek:

More advice still welcome!

Edited by fann1sh

Off the Rotterdam on August 24th:

The Wine Steward has an assistant. The Wine Steward serves whatever bottled wine is or has been ordered and saved. Any other drinks are obtained by the assistant. The Wine Steward then serves those beverages.

I bring a glass of wine into the dining room often; I am not interested in the Explore 4 option. I do purchase a Wine Package upon embarking and I do purchase a Beverage Card at one of the Lounges and use that to buy additional bottles of wine that may not be part of my wine package. Never any problem whatsoever.

At the end of the cruise, if my Wine Steward's service has met my expectations, I will give a small additional gratuity. Likewise, if I have asked a particular Lounge's bartender to keep my favorite bottle of wine available when I request it, he/she will receive an additional gratuity.

Edited by rkacruiser

Off the Rotterdam on August 24th:

The Wine Steward has an assistant. The Wine Steward serves whatever bottled wine is or has been ordered and saved. Any other drinks are obtained by the assistant. The Wine Steward then serves those beverages.

I bring a glass of wine into the dining room often; I am not interested in the Explore 4 option. I do purchase a Wine Package upon embarking and I do purchase a Beverage Card at one of the Lounges and use that to buy additional bottles of wine that may not be part of my wine package. Never any problem whatsoever.

At the end of the cruise, if my Wine Steward's service has met my expectations, I will give a small additional gratuity. Likewise, if I have asked a particular Lounge's bartender to keep my favorite bottle of wine available when I request it, he/she will receive an additional gratuity.

I like that idea that the wine steward has an assistant. Have always felt that the waiter had too many things to do and didn't need the extra burden of getting drinks.

Hope this new change is taking place on all ships.

All the dining venues have wines by the glass that are priced to be compatible with the SBP. Getting a properly made HAL Signature Martini in the MDR was problematic last January until I had a conversation with the ship Beverage Manager. He said he'd get it handled with additional training and I didn't have another problem.

All the dining venues have wines by the glass that are priced to be compatible with the SBP. Getting a properly made HAL Signature Martini in the MDR was problematic last January until I had a conversation with the ship Beverage Manager. He said he'd get it handled with additional training and I didn't have another problem.

There is no bar in the MDR, though - drinks come from either the Explorer's Lounge or the Ocean Bar - depending on which level of the MDR you are on. I'd expect those bartenders to already be trained.

There is no bar in the MDR, though - drinks come from either the Explorer's Lounge or the Ocean Bar - depending on which level of the MDR you are on. I'd expect those bartenders to already be trained.

Is there a cocktail menu provided in the dining room, or do we need to know what we want before we go in?

You'd think so, but he's the one who said additional training was needed. The problem didn't reoccur after that conversation. I know there's no bar in the MDR, but obviously whoever made mine didn't know the recipe.

You'd think so, but he's the one who said additional training was needed. The problem didn't reoccur after that conversation. I know there's no bar in the MDR, but obviously whoever made mine didn't know the recipe.

Correct that there is no bar in the dining room, but the wine, at least, comes from an area in the Galley that is close to where the Stewards exit to the dining room. Perhaps there is a crew member there that is providing cocktails ordered in the dining room? If so, maybe that is the person who needed more training.

There is bar staff in the MDR, who can get cocktails or wine by the glass. Once they know that you order regularly, they will come to your table every evening. The wine attendant only handles full bottles of wine. If you need a drink, tell your waiter, he will get a member of the MDR bar staff for you. Carrying a glass of wine or cocktail in from a bar is not a problem.

Correct that there is no bar in the dining room, but the wine, at least, comes from an area in the Galley that is close to where the Stewards exit to the dining room. Perhaps there is a crew member there that is providing cocktails ordered in the dining room? If so, maybe that is the person who needed more training.

Last January on the Oo'dam, they had a table on the raised central portion of the dining room, on the back side of the staircase outside the galley door, with their recommended "by the glass" wines. We were seated about 10 feet away which proved handy in getting to question the Sommelier.