Wonder if there will be Goodies?

rumple

I was just reading a thread about getting goodies from your TA....and I have a general question..

In everyones experience....do the 'goodies' generally come in the travel doc package, or are they awaiting you in your cabin?

The reason I ask is because I used a new TA this year. Good price, good service, but no goodies in the travel doc pack at all. Now, I hate to appear greedy, but after reading about all the goodies that others have received from their TA's, I wonder if I could have done better...or if perhaps my TA has planted something in my cabin?

Just curious, really.....

Karen

I know lots of TAs send their clients thank-you gifts. (I believe they are generally in the cabin upon check-in.) But I think that this is the exception rather than the rule. Most of us are "squeezing" our TAs to match low prices we see online ... or at least get very close to them. By doing that, a TA will often have to dip into their commission. That leaves little extra to send us a gift. The only time I've gotten anything was from the onboard TA with whom I booked a 2-week cruise.

with this TA she sent some strawberries, which was a nice surprise, but certainly, not expected. On our next cruise with this TA, we got a wonderful price(balcony well under $800pp), AND group amenities of a Pinnacle Dinner for 2, 2 soda cards, and 3 bottles of wine, so I am perfectly okay if something is not sent. We got an excellent deal, and she gives excellent service.

Marie

In the past, when we were using our brick and mortar TA, she would order us some wine or something and it would be in our room when we boarded or would be delivered shortly thereafter. We've since got to booking on line and the savings have been much more than the loss of a couple of bottles of wine.

Our former local TA sent us a bottle of wine for the first couple of cruises we booked, but she gave us a card with our docs so we would know to look for it. The last couple of cruises we booked with her, we got nothing, and we were paying a premium price for the service. So now we have switched to internet companies. The first one sent nothing, and we really don't expect anything from the new one we recently used. But, since we are getting much more competitive prices, I really don't care. It's nice to get a little welcome gift in your cabin, but it's a lot better to go cruising with more money in your pocket. If you can manage to get both, good for you.

We used an online booking agent for our recent October 1st Zuiderdam cruise and got an unbelievably low price for a verandah cabin. We were not expecting anything after such a great deal but actually had 2 bottles of wine delivered to us on ship from the TA. We were surprised. We paid over $7,500 on 2 cabins for a Christmas cruise this past year and got nothing from the TA. She got the last dollar from us.

Blueboro,

I understand. I booked three cruises with a TA within a rather short period of time for us and for my parents (her 80th birthday) I did the searching--she booked first and then the last cruise I booked with cruise line and turned over to her. ( I found the cruise, cabin and rates. ) I expected something on at least one of these cruises--NOTHING. Not even a note or call afterward to ask how cruises went.

She's no longer our TA.

.....and then the last cruise I booked with cruise line and turned over to her. ( I found the cruise, cabin and rates. ) I expected something on at least one of these cruises--NOTHING....She's no longer our TA.

Cruznon....I hear ya! Had the same experience. I received a real deal on a suite from HAL...called them and booked directly....then turned over the booking to the TA so she could get the commission. Three days later I received a confirmation from the TA which contained a notice that if we canceled the cruise, there would be a $50 pp. cancellation fee. Huh??? Needless to say, no wine, no goodies, and the TA is no longer getting our business.

I know lots of TAs send their clients thank-you gifts. (I believe they are generally in the cabin upon check-in.) But I think that this is the exception rather than the rule. Most of us are "squeezing" our TAs to match low prices we see online ... or at least get very close to them. By doing that, a TA will often have to dip into their commission. That leaves little extra to send us a gift. The only time I've gotten anything was from the onboard TA with whom I booked a 2-week cruise.

When I've used the online TA ... the discount agency ... all I got was a "bon voyage" and then a "welcome home" email. You're right ... because they often have to match prices in order to get your business, they're really marking down their commission and don't have much left with which to buy gifts.

As for the other agency I've used, they give a lot more personalized service and they did have gifts waiting for me in the cabin. Funny ... while their prices are generally higher, and they won't get involved in price wars, I find that the price difference really isn't all that much, and the service is very responsive.

I used this more expensive agency to book my Hawaii/South Pacific cruise in January, and the price I am paying is right in line with what I see advertised on some discounters' websites. I only began using the agency because I was friendly with the particular agent I was dealing with. He has since left the business, and I was assigned another agent. I had pretty much decided that this booking would be my last with them, but then I had a bit of a problem and this new agent really jumped in and took care of it pronto for me. Now, I'm reconsidering continuing to use this agency. Like I said, the prices aren't really all that much different, and the service can't be beat.

Blue skies ...

--rita

We have worked we an agent for five years. On our last trip, she sent a bottle of wine which we appreciated.:)

We also got a coupon book which appears to be Princess' way of helping them do something. Problem is they were come on coupons, i.e. buy one drink, get the second free.:rolleyes:

We book lower to middle cabin categories, so we are pleased to receive wine, especially since we bargin hunt. However, if I was booking Owner Suites, I would expect flowers, wine, massages, robes and ........:)

We just returned from a cruise on the Volendam. Our TA treated us to a special tour of Curacao. They purchased the tour from an independent tour company which is nationwide. It was wonderful. We met for a cocktail party in the Crow's Nest, and next day had a 3 hour tour which included lunch at a local restaurant. It was great, and a real surprise. Did not know until the rep from the independent tour company left us a note. Only thing is we had purchased a Curacao tour on the line's web site, paid in advance. When we canceled the tour with HAL we had to pay 10 per cent handling charges. I really wish that HAL did not charge ahead for their tours. Princess does not. On that line you don't pay until tour is taken. In any case, we were happy to have taken the specially organized tour, and we are grateful to our TA.

Archived