European Alaska: signature suite or aft wrap Neptune?

ldlewis45

Alaska was our first cruise in an aft wrap and we're hooked. For us the large wraparound balcony is the attraction. The larger cabin and suite perks are nice but not necessary (not that we don't take advantage of them, but we could live without them).

You should know that aft wraps you may have seen people rave about are on the Vista ships (Zuider, Ooster, Noor, West). Those are very deep. The ones on Eurodam are not huge, but it is nice that they give you views at the side and the back.

Your choice depends on what you want/need out of a cruise.

One thing is how active you want your glacier-view days to be. We felt we got to see enough using the balcony, and we had the advantage of being able to run inside to warm up and check the map on the TV to checkout where we were However, many people prefer to be on the open decks so that they can move around to get a better view. If we hadn't had the wrap, we'd have been on deck.

Does the size of the interior matter to you? Do the perks of the Neptune suite matter to you? Priority boarding, the neptune lounge and concierge, a separate dining room for breakfast, free laundry.

The advantage of the Sig suite is that it's less expensive. So think about how you feel about size and location of your "real estate" and how you value perks.

If you've got any specific questions about these suites or about HAL, ask!

Edited by 3rdGenCunarder

Deck 5 aft wraps on Zuiderdam, Oosterdam, and Westerdam are the most talked about. You could easily get 40 people on the balcony with room to spare. It's completely covered and private- GREAT for Alaska. Noordam was built to the new standards and aft wraps are more like Signature ships

Alaska was our first cruise in an aft wrap and we're hooked. For us the large wraparound balcony is the attraction. The larger cabin and suite perks are nice but not necessary (not that we don't take advantage of them, but we could live without them).

You should know that aft wraps you may have seen people rave about are on the Vista ships (Zuider, Ooster, Noor, West). Those are very deep. The ones on Eurodam are not huge, but it is nice that they give you views at the side and the back.

Your choice depends on what you want/need out of a cruise.

One thing is how active you want your glacier-view days to be. We felt we got to see enough using the balcony, and we had the advantage of being able to run inside to warm up and check the map on the TV to checkout where we were However, many people prefer to be on the open decks so that they can move around to get a better view. If we hadn't had the wrap, we'd have been on deck.

Does the size of the interior matter to you? Do the perks of the Neptune suite matter to you? Priority boarding, the neptune lounge and concierge, a separate dining room for breakfast, free laundry.

The advantage of the Sig suite is that it's less expensive. So think about how you feel about size and location of your "real estate" and how you value perks.

If you've got any specific questions about these suites or about HAL, ask!

On the sailing I'm interested in, there's only about $900 difference (3 people) between a Signature Suite and the Neptune Suite aft-wrap. I'd go for the signature suite, since it's a bit cheaper than getting one regular balcony and 1 inside room, but I'm tempted by the Neptune Suite. Primarily because I think the balcony might be a bit more protected from wind than the balcony on the signature suite, and since my mom gets cold very easily, it might be more useful for her. I like the idea of some of the extra perks, too, but I think we probably wouldn't use most of them.

For $900 (for a week, yes?) I'd do the Neptune if you're going to have three people sharing. More closet space, more elbow room. And the aft would offer shelter. If it's windy on the side, the back should be better. If it's windy at the back, the side might be better, increasing the chance of being comfortable out there. Plus, your mother could easily duck inside to warm up if she feels cold on the glacier day.

On the sailing I'm interested in, there's only about $900 difference (3 people) between a Signature Suite and the Neptune Suite aft-wrap. I'd go for the signature suite, since it's a bit cheaper than getting one regular balcony and 1 inside room, but I'm tempted by the Neptune Suite. Primarily because I think the balcony might be a bit more protected from wind than the balcony on the signature suite, and since my mom gets cold very easily, it might be more useful for her. I like the idea of some of the extra perks, too, but I think we probably wouldn't use most of them.

For $300/person difference, I would do the aft-wrap Neptune as you not only get the larger cabin and balcony, but all 3 of you get access to the Neptune Lounge, a couple of cocktail parties (normally), bottle of sparkling wine (which you can exchange for a bottle of house red or white), free laundry service, VIP boarding and disembarkation, and a few other perks. Plus I have found that Neptune passengers get some extra attention and priorities for things such as dining reservations and table assignments.

Depending on your parents mobility you might also consider getting a Neptune closer to the the Neptune Lounge, as the long walk to an aft-wrap Neptune can be a bit long for those with walking limitations. We did one right after some foot surgery I had and the walking really was a chore.