Diamond vs Island

travelcrazy5

I'm not particularly fond of the mega-ships (Grand class, etc), but we've been on the Coral Princess, a sister to the Island, and she is a beauty.

I think any ship that is too big to transit the Panama Canal is too damned big!

I have to agree with Druke I... I've been on one mega ship and really disliked the crowds and immense size of the ship. It was more like being at a resort than on a ship. Also, the service was very impersonal compared to non-mega sized ships.

I sailed to Hawaii and back on the Island Princess over the holidays last winter and was a little bit aprehensive of her size (92,000 GT) prior to boarding. Once on board, however, I LOVED the way she was laid out and the fact that she was so easy to navigate around and find everything. The only time that ship seemed crowded was when we reboarded in Hilo on Christmas Day and in the atrium on New Year's Eve.

My next cruise is going to be on board the Coral Princess, the sister ship to the Island, and I am simply over the top excited about spending my cruise aboard a ship like this!

Have fun in whatever you decide!

Taters

I love the Coral class (Island included). Everytime I am on a large ship (just got off the Golden), I wish I had been on the Coral/Island Princess!

The Coral/Island have the best layout of any ship I have been on and also are true beauties!

We've been on all 4 Sun classes, the Island and the Star. the Island is our favorite with the Suns coming up second and the Grands in the back.

The Island has most of the amenities, sans Skywalkers, of a grand class with less people and has the bumpout cabins, which for Alaska and Panama are great.

we are close to making reservations and would like pros and cons of both ships

These ships sail different itineraries, and at time different areas of the world.

The ships are all large now and the crew are all trained to make your experience comfortable.

We select the destination rather than the ship. I think it is more important to consider where you go.:)

I have been on the Sapphire(sister to Diamond) and the Coral(sister to the island) and while I had a great time on the Sapphire I would pick the Coral in a heartbeat. In fact I will be taking my 2nd cruise on her next may. Good luck on whatever you decide.

Marilyn

These ships sail different itineraries, and at time different areas of the world.

)

The Diamond, Sapphire, Coral and Island will all be in Alaska next summer sailing one ways between Vancouver and Whittier (and back).

From another post - the OP is looking at Alaska for next summer.

Archived