Too much Rice?

RickT

I've taken a couple cruises off from RCCL and cruised Celebrity instead. Without getting into the who has better Food debate I'd like to instead get your feedback on the number of meals RCCL serves (or used to serve) with Rice.

I couldn't help but notice on my last two RCCL cruises (June 2002, March 2003) that rice seemed to be everywhere on the menu. In viewing some current menu's posted to the cruiseclues web site it seems this is still the case.

Can any recent cruisers comment? I definitely prefer the side dishes that were offered on Celeb. Mainly vegetables and potato. Still looking forward to my March 2006 cruise on the Brilliance but would be looking more forward to it if I don't see Rice with every meal.

You can get a baked potato anytime you want for dinner. You just have to choose from the alternate items on the menu which are available every night. You can pick and choose from this list.

I had chicken, a baked potato and vegetables almost every night of my cruise because I am a weight watcher.

Even though my last RCI cruise was in 2002, I DID notice that almost every main dish on the buffett during lunch and dinner was served with rice or was a casserole of some sort. Blech! I felt that food was better on Carnival.

Taters

We did the 4 night Baja cruise at the end of August. I do not recall having rice once. I know I saw it in the Windjammer and I think it came with my sisters fish one night. Other than that I didn't see any rice.

What I do remember is LOTS of potatos. I had mashed potatos at least 3 different ways and they were all excellent.

Michelle in SoCal

I would gladly eat rice with every meal, but I don't remember having it available at every meal on my last cruise. It may be that I'm just so used to eating it that I don't pay attention anymore.

Remember - Support your friendly American Rice Growers! (i.e. support my cruising habit:D ).

We were on the Oct 2 sailing on the Jewel. I, too, noticed rice served frequently (I noticed because I don't especially care for it) - they even served it with chicken cacciatore! With the chicken cacciatore, I asked them to substitute pasta, other evenings, I just didn't eat it.

Don't be afraid to ask for something else.

I've taken a couple cruises off from RCCL and cruised Celebrity instead. Without getting into the who has better Food debate I'd like to instead get your feedback on the number of meals RCCL serves (or used to serve) with Rice.

I couldn't help but notice on my last two RCCL cruises (June 2002, March 2003) that rice seemed to be everywhere on the menu. In viewing some current menu's posted to the cruiseclues web site it seems this is still the case.

Can any recent cruisers comment? I definitely prefer the side dishes that were offered on Celeb. Mainly vegetables and potato. Still looking forward to my March 2006 cruise on the Brilliance but would be looking more forward to it if I don't see Rice with every meal.

Maybe they had lots of weddings on board on your cruises? ;) (waste not, want not :D)

we were on the Mariner August 28th and we did not have rice at all..we did have baked potatoes and mashed potatoes several times during the week...No problem for me, I love rice and well potatoes also:)

I was going to say the same thing...I just sailed on the Mariner 2 weeks ago and for the life of me I don't remember any rice being served at all. With lobster? I can't remember WHAT was served with the lobster...It was called fishermans platter and there was shrimp and lobster tails but I don't remember what else came with it.

They actually had rice at the buffet for breakfast last Sept. on the Mariner. I thought that was odd.

Not at all. As mentioned, rice is a standard component at all meals (including breakfast) in many cultures. They might think our pancakes drowning in butter and syrup served with eggs and bacon and sausage was a strange way to start the day. I think it's great to offer choices for different tastes.

beachchick

Archived