Capri from Harmony

sequincruiser

Been scouring the forum for information on getting to Capri from Naples and have found lots of really useful guidance - thanks - but one question keeps going through my mind. When we dock in Naples in 2 weeks time on Harmony, there will also be 3 other ships docked. Can anyone comment on just how busy it is likely to be? I know it's a difficult question as there is no knowing how many will choose to go to Capri as opposed to Pompeii etc. However, I am worried about actually getting on a ferry. How big are they? Should I book online in advance both ways (in which case how long do I allow for looking round the island and going on the chair lift at Anacapri? and how do I know when we will be allowed off ship in the morning?). Just how long would we need to allow for buses to Anacapri etc.? Any information gratefully received, especially from anyone who has done this recently.

2 or 3 ships in Naples would equal a relatively quiet day :). Personally, having done it around a dozen times, we have never had a problem just getting off our ship relatively early....walking over to the ferry port (Molo Beverello) checking the overhead schedules for the next hydrofoil/jetboat to Capri, buying tickets at the ticket window (Euros or credit cards), walking to the proper pier, and getting on the boat :).

As to going up to Anacapri (from where you can get the chair lift up the mountain), we suggest doing that relatively early on your visit so you do not have to be concerned with time. The small buses that go from Capri to Anacapri run quite often (usually about every 15- 30 min). You simply need to walk over to the bus station in Capri (just ask any local to point you in the right direction) and get the next bus. If you are just going to Anacapri for a quick stroll...it will take you no more then 1 1/2 hours to take the bus, walk around..and take the bus back. If you plan on taking the Chair Lift you need to figure on more time....which will depend on any queues for the chair lift and how long you plan to stay at the top. I think the Chair Lift takes about 12 min (my guess) each way.

Hank

I can't comment on the ferries from Naples because that is not where we were coming from.

However, on August 10th, we waited 1 hour to get a bus from Capri to Anacapri...as mentioned the buses are quite small. There is a dedicated corral to control the line, but a bus would come, the people in front of us would get on and then we wait for the next bus and the same thing would happen. It was quite organized, but it did take almost an hour in line to get to Anacapri. We did not have trouble in Anacapri getting a bus because we went back to Capri and followed the advice to walk back two bus stops to get on. But when the busses hit the stop at the chairlift they were full, so it was difficult for anyone who was waiting there (lots of people) to get on.

We did the trip around the island/blue grotto first followed by the chairlift, but when we were wandering around waiting for the boat the lines to the funicular and the Anacapri bus were also quite long.

However, I am worried about actually getting on a ferry. How big are they? Should I book online in advance both ways (in which case how long do I allow for looking round the island and going on the chair lift at Anacapri? and how do I know when we will be allowed off ship in the morning?). Just how long would we need to allow for buses to Anacapri etc.? Any information gratefully received, especially from anyone who has done this recently.

We have had problems getting the ferry to Capri when we got off the ship late, i.e., around 0930. When we got off the ship at that time once, all ferries to Capri that left before noon were already booked. The next time we got off a ship to go to Capri, we knew better and exited the ship at about 0800. As Hank noted, we had no trouble just walking up and purchasing a ferry ticket when we got off the ship at 0800. Try to get off the ship right at the posted docking time. Just walk down to the gangway.

You can purchase the return ferry ticket as soon as you arrive in Capri. Do not wait until you are ready to leave, as all the tickets might be sold out.

I would plan to spend the whole day in Capri. There's lots to see and do. I also suggest not taking the bus from the port to Anacapri, for the reason mentioned by janerbg. We saw that the line was extremely long, so we opted instead for one of the open air taxis. Although we definitely paid more, we really enjoyed the comfortable ride, and I think the extra time it gave us in Anacapri was definitely worth the cost.

The advantage to independent travel is when you keep your flexibility and common sense. So you get up to Capri and walk over to the bus stop. If there is long line for the Anacapri buses...then you try to share a taxi (there are usually taxis hanging around by the bus parking area). As to buying a return ticket to Naples, we agree that one should do this as soon as they arrive on Capri (the ticket office is right at the end of the pier). Make sure you get a boat that goes to "Molo Beverello." There is another ferry port in Naples (over 2 miles from the cruise ship port) called Mergellina....which you should avoid since you would then need to get a taxi (or use the local buses) to get back to the cruise ship port.

Hank

I'll be on Harmony two weeks after you. I have already purchased my Ferry tickets. I plan on going to Anacapri as soon as I get off the ferry. After the chair lift (and Back down) I am going to go to Villa San Michel (very short walk from chair lift). Right next to that is the Phoenician Steps which lead back down to the port. Walking down steps is easy... :p

The advantage to independent travel is when you keep your flexibility and common sense. So you get up to Capri and walk over to the bus stop. If there is long line for the Anacapri buses...then you try to share a taxi
I would go one step further, or less in this case. If there is a line for the funicolare turn around and get a taxi from the port. Your day is too short to waste it on lines.

I'll be on Harmony two weeks after you. I have already purchased my Ferry tickets. I plan on going to Anacapri as soon as I get off the ferry. After the chair lift (and Back down) I am going to go to Villa San Michel (very short walk from chair lift). Right next to that is the Phoenician Steps which lead back down to the port. Walking down steps is easy... :p

Hexdragon....how did you book your ferry tickets ahead of time? We're planning on doing pretty much the same as you on October 14.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

You certainly can do that but realize that you pay a significant incremental charge to a third party operator (OK ferries).

For example, I did a dummy booking direct on the NLG site and the total round trip fee, including a €2 booking fee, was €40,10. The exact same booking on the third party site came to €52,10. That's a ridiculously high surcharge of €12, or 30% more.

Edited by euro cruiser

I never ever had a problem buying the ferry tickets in Naples. Last year on the Allure we got the 8:05 am ferry (SNAV). I usually buy the return ticket right away (last year it was 2:50 pm, but I also had the 8:35 am LN and 3:25 pm or so as return).

When you arrive in Capri walk down the pier to the street. Turn right. There´s the bus stop. There´s also a ticket office there. We usually buy all tickets we need for the day (they are valid for the bus and the funicolare).

Although there is something like a regular schedule for the buses (every 15 min) we usually waited much longer. But anyway we always got on the bus. BTW the bus ride up to Anacapri can be a little bit scary.

Then we usually take the bus from Anacapri to Capri town (not back to the harbor) and walk around there. Or last year in May we walked all the way up to Villa Iovis (Roman villa of emperor Tiberius).

You can take the funicolare down to port. We walked down last year.

Been to Naples again with the Harmony this year but we stayed in town and made the Napoli Sotterraneo tour (underground).

You might check the arrival times of the other ships in port. We had the Costa Fascinosa arriving after us but staying in the car ferry port (they had to take a shuttle to Molo Beverello - so they got there later than the Harmony passengers did). Then there was an MSC cruise ship which did not arrive until 10 am. So actually the Harmony was the "only" ship for the very early ferries at 8/8:30 am.

steamboats

who will be back to Capri on Sep 26th (but tendering into Capri harbor)

hexdragon,

When you walk up to Villa Iovis you pass by Parco Astarita. It´s officially closed (actually it´s a little bit unsafe as the rails are broken). But an elderly man was inviting us to go in and there´s a great view to the Faraglioni rocks from there (you can see this in my photos). We gave a little tip when we left (2 Euro). Up on the top of the hill are the ruins of Villa Iovis (2 Euro entrance fee) where you also have a great view over to the Capo di Sorrento and of course over the island of Capri.

Haven´t done the Arco Naturale path recently (actually 30 years ago). This path - actually Arco Naturale is a side trip - is high up the coast and passes by the Faraglioni rocks, the Malaparte Villa, overlook over Marina Piccola... and leads back to Capri town. I´d say that´s maybe a 2 hour trip.

Check the map here (pdf).

steamboats

There is and there's a great path through the park toward Villa Lysis with views over the water.

You'll see it on the left as you approach Villa Jovis. On this map of the trails on Capri it's the red path labeled #11 & #12: http://www.giovis.com/QR/capri2015.gif

Edited to add:

The park and route described in the previous post is different, the Faraglioni are on the south side of the island, the route I was describing is on the north.

Edited by euro cruiser