How is the Scenic Rail Transfer from Whittier

Cathy Young

:confused: Has anyone ridden the scenic rail transfer from Whittier to Anchorage? I think this option may have only been for cruise & land tour transfers in the past but Princess is now offering it as an optional transfer to anchorage without the land package (although space may be limited), for $90 per person. I was wondering if it is worth the price, or if renting a car would be a better option (there are 4 people in my party), or if I should take a shore excursion when arriving in Whittier (which may include a transfer to Ancorage).

The train from Whittier to Anchorage parallels the Seward Highway, so in my opinion is not that big of a deal compared to going via the road system. I'm not sure that there is a rental car agency located in Whittier.

For our Whittier to Anchorage transfer next September, we've hired Aurora Limousines. There are four of us, so the price is very reasonable and comparable to any other type of transportation offered between Whittier and Anchorage. Plus, we get a strech limo, our own cheauffer, they'll take us into Girdwood or around Anchorage prior to taking us to the airport if we choose, and awesome service! Go here:

http://www.auroralimousines.com

Have fun!

Taters

:confused: although space may be limited

Limited is right. This past July 6 people in our group had the scenic train booked for at least 8 months prior to cruise and cost was included in final payment. During the cruise they were informed that they were bumped off and put on the motorcoach transfer to Anchorage. By that time it was too late to make any other alternate travel plans. I heard (tho not confirmed by anyone at Princess) that they gave the seats to cruisetour people who were going all the way to Denali. Never could get a straight answer -- blamed the TA and had to follow to get credit for difference in price between train and motorcoach. So just be aware if you book just to Anchorage, you could get bumped at the last minute.:(

Archived