Breeze or Vista for Family Travel

Californiacruizers

I'm planning a cruise for myself and two children who will be 13 and 4 at the time of sailing. I am hoping to travel in January 2017. We've sailed on the NCL Sky which was an older ship and a somewhat older crowd which was fine for me and my then 2 year old. The issue was my son who was bored out of this mind. There were very few kids his age on board and little to do on deck besides a pool that was freezing cold and basketball courts. The kids club was very limited for his age as well.

I was sold on the Vista until I began to read and research the Breeze.

For those who has sailed on both which one would you suggest for the three of us to ALL enjoy?

Edited by Californiacruizers

My family has sailed Breeze twice and did Vista this summer in the Med. My vote for your family would be Breeze. They both have Water Works (slides for older child and the splash area for the little one). The ropes course on Breeze is better in my opinion. I like the theatre, the full wraparound deck 5 and the decor of Breeze more as well. You will probably get better prices on Breeze too.

• 4 months later...

I'm wondering the same thing. Family went on Breeze Nov 2015 and loved the ship. (Been on 6 other Carnival cruises and 5 non-Carnival cruises). Planning the next one and kids (teenagers) want to go on Vista. I was all for it, until I started reading reviews and now I'm thinking Breeze or even an older Carnival ship (Dream, Legend, etc). Still researching!

I like both ships and would probably choose Breeze for a family. Depending on the time of year though I would not sail from Galveston, Mobile or Tampa simply because of fog issues. I realize that missed ports can happen any time but those ports have a history of delays in the winter months.

I like both ships and would probably choose Breeze for a family. Depending on the time of year though I would not sail from Galveston, Mobile or Tampa simply because of fog issues. I realize that missed ports can happen any time but those ports have a history of delays in the winter months.

I actually found an itinerary on the Breeze out of Galveston in September 2017. I was excited and ready to book until I read about the Galveston fog. In looking into the planning more carefully sailing from Galveston seems like a hassle. Most hotels in Galveston require a 2 night stay and were pretty pricy. Also transport via shared or private shuttle from HOU Airport to Galveston was about $170.00RT for my kids and I. On top of that there is the fog issue. Looks like I need to weigh my options more carefully.

I actually found an itinerary on the Breeze out of Galveston in September 2017. I was excited and ready to book until I read about the Galveston fog. In looking into the planning more carefully sailing from Galveston seems like a hassle. Most hotels in Galveston require a 2 night stay and were pretty pricy. Also transport via shared or private shuttle from HOU Airport to Galveston was about $170.00RT for my kids and I. On top of that there is the fog issue. Looks like I need to weigh my options more carefully.

We just got back from Liberty of the Seas (Royal) Sunday out of Galveston. Fog non-issue. But airport is very far from the port. Would prefer to not do another Galveston cruise again. I was surprised to hear Carnival keeps putting it's newest ships there.

I actually found an itinerary on the Breeze out of Galveston in September 2017. I was excited and ready to book until I read about the Galveston fog.

Fog will not be an issue in September out of Galveston... mainly only in Jan/Feb...those are the only two months of WINTER in TEXAS. September will still be steamy, hot summer weather. In fact, lots of times...Christmas in Texas means running the A/C.:D

Fog will not be an issue in September out of Galveston... mainly only in Jan/Feb...those are the only two months of WINTER in TEXAS. September will still be steamy, hot summer weather. In fact, lots of times...Christmas in Texas means running the A/C.:D

Perfect, sounds like California weather here at home. However it dipped down into the 50's last week and you would have thought it was a snow blizzard, the way people were complaining about the cold. Used to live in the Northeast so I know what it means to experience really cold weather.

Perhaps we I will take another look at sailing out of Galveston in Sept.

Fog is not an issue in Galveston in September. You have a risk for hurricanes in September, but you would have that risk sailing out of Miami as well.

We just got back from Liberty of the Seas (Royal) Sunday out of Galveston. Fog non-issue. But airport is very far from the port. Would prefer to not do another Galveston cruise again. I was surprised to hear Carnival keeps putting it's newest ships there.

Did you fly into IAH OR HOU? Did you run into any issues in terms of your hotel accomodations? Ideally, I would like to fly into HOU hire a private car to Galveston and stay in a hotel close to the port. Yet I found most hotels in Galveston require a 2 night stay.

I am traveling with my son(14) and daughter (4) I DO NOT want to entertain the 4 year old for 2 days pre-cruise, she will drive me INSANE whining about wanting to "get on the boat". Been there done that in Miami lol. By the time we stepped on the ship I was totally FRAZZLED.

Did you fly into IAH OR HOU? Did you run into any issues in terms of your hotel accomodations? Ideally, I would like to fly into HOU hire a private car to Galveston and stay in a hotel close to the port. Yet I found most hotels in Galveston require a 2 night stay.

I am traveling with my son(14) and daughter (4) I DO NOT want to entertain the 4 year old for 2 days pre-cruise, she will drive me INSANE whining about wanting to "get on the boat". Been there done that in Miami lol. By the time we stepped on the ship I was totally FRAZZLED.

Flew into Hobby (HOU) as it's serviced by SouthWest. I found such good reviews of Drury Inn Hotel near the airport, we booked that... Had Marriott booked, but Drury has hot evening food and hot morning breakfast. Excellent service, great hotel staff and glad we changed. Then took Uber to port next morning.

Why not hire the private driver for taking you and your family to the port the morning of the cruise? That way you could stay in a Houston hotel the night before the cruise.

I second the Drury. You don't have to pay to feed the kids dinner (my girls LOVE staying there). Adults get 3 free drinks with their dinner too. The breakfast in the morning is super nice. Not the usual "continental" offerings.

Edited by momof4girls

We stayed at the Doubletree for our cruise in October, and will be staying there again this October. I don't think they require 2 nights, although we did stay 2 nights pre-cruise. We used a shuttle from the airport to the hotel, it wasn't too expensive. Good Luck with your planning!

I'm planning a cruise for myself and two children who will be 13 and 4 at the time of sailing. I am hoping to travel in January 2017. We've sailed on the NCL Sky which was an older ship and a somewhat older crowd which was fine for me and my then 2 year old. The issue was my son who was bored out of this mind. There were very few kids his age on board and little to do on deck besides a pool that was freezing cold and basketball courts. The kids club was very limited for his age as well.

I was sold on the Vista until I began to read and research the Breeze.

For those who has sailed on both which one would you suggest for the three of us to ALL enjoy?

Book the Vista now while it is in Miami and then book the Breeze after it comes to Port Canaveral in Sept 2018 and decide for yourself. I think your kids will love both

Galveston isn't much further from the airport than Port Canaveral is from Orlando airport... and the reason we keep getting the newer ships is because we keep filling them!