Allure & Internet

Juge

• 5 weeks later...
It will get better once she crosses the pond.:p

We are taking her across the pond. Just curious why it would get better? Different satellites? I'm curious now to see if it changes during the trip. Internet always seems slow everywhere when we are in Europe so we'll see.

We are taking her across the pond. Just curious why it would get better? Different satellites? I'm curious now to see if it changes during the trip. Internet always seems slow everywhere when we are in Europe so we'll see.

Coverage is better farther south. Around the equator is best.

Just curious why it would get better? Internet always seems slow everywhere when we are in Europe so we'll see.

That was mainly a sarcastic remark. All things being equal there should not be much diff to a typical user between the Med and Caribbean. Performance will vary by location on ship, time of day, itinerary of ship and other factors. Way too many variables to pinpoint anything. The only way to really measure this is via objective speed tests, which I would predict will not change much regardless of location of ship.

Well that makes sense. Didn't know that.

But, to a typical user just surfing regular sites, you won't notice any diff between say a 10Mbps down connection vs. a 20Mbps connection (both possible with the Stream package on Harmony).

I'm usually pretty techie - but I'm going to sound pretty stupid here - with the WiFi on the ship do we still have to have some sort of international plan on our phone? We have Verizon and I don't want to have some ridiculous charges on my bill while WiFi is kicking in...

I'm usually pretty techie - but I'm going to sound pretty stupid here - with the WiFi on the ship do we still have to have some sort of international plan on our phone? We have Verizon and I don't want to have some ridiculous charges on my bill while WiFi is kicking in...

Depends what you want to do.

If you only want internet access for things like email and web surfing, then the WiFi on the ship will be sufficient.

If you want to make cell calls, and you don't have WiFi calling, then you will need to use cellular service, which may or ay not require some sort of plan. Speak to your cell carrier.