Which Massage is better...Deep Tissue or Bamboo

I would not get a DT massage for the first time on vacation - they can trigger further issues with nerves and you could end up in pain for your whole cruise.

I would go with the hot stone - very relaxing and does not risk further injury.

Actually any massage therapist who would do a DTM on you as a first massage with back issues would cause me to run - fast & far.

Edited by CapeCodCruiser

If you have back issues I would not get a massage on a cruise ship. Their therapists are not trained properly on anything except trying to sell you additional services or products.

All I can say about this is I have had exactly two massages on board in the last three years and for one, I came away sore and black and blue from a hot stone massage; for the other, I had a neck cramp that lasted several days from a deep tissue. My daughter in law is a certified Master instructor and teaches massage at an Institute here in NY. She said that both massages were done improperly. Years back I frequently got massages on board and they were wonderful. I wonder if they are having a difficult time attracting qualified people now.

I’d like to try a hot stone massage one day but on land. Last year was following a live blog the blogger got one at the hotel/resort he was staying at pre-cruise (Ft. Lauderdale) and wound up with 2nd degree burns from the rocks. Had to visit a local clinic, not the way I’d like to start a vacation. Also thinking about the liability if something onboard did happen.

If this is your first time, check and see if a Swedish is available. Also since you have a few weeks get one now, see how your body reacts. Ask a coworker or family, someone will have place they can recommend for quality and price. More than likely you'll love it and feel refreshed :)