Which Massage is better...Deep Tissue or Bamboo

I'd get the deep tissue at any spa if you want a good pressure massage. I find it rare that even with the deep tissue, a massage therapist can actually put enough pressure into my muscles for a full hour, and I'm usually asking for more pressure the whole time. If they have a male massage therapist, request him, because men's hands tend to be a lot stronger.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I agree with everyone else. I go for a monthly massage locally and my therapist is one of the few I've ever had that actually can work deeply. As you state that you have back issues, a message therapist can feel these while manually doing the deep tissue. If you have a bamboo massage, they use the bamboo sticks to do the massage and as such do not have a direct connection to be able to alter as necessary as easily or precisely.

FYI - I believe that IsanTom meant $60 (not $6) for a 2 hour massage. But even so $60 for a 2 hour is an amazing deal. Locally most places charge 80-100 for a 90 minute. And keep in mind, on the ship, a 1 hour massage is probably only 50 minutes.

Enjoy.

Erika

I will disagree as DW and I are hooked on bamboo massages. I use to only do DT, but once I had my first bamboo I never went back. The bamboo is like an ultra deep tissue with more pinpoint pressure.

If you have knots it will work them out better than any set of hands.

I would say if you have to get one on the ship, go with the deep tissue and have a guy do it if possible if you like a lot of pressure.

I didn't think the bamboo generates enough pressure.

I wanted to note that I haven't done one on board in a couple of years because they don't really listen and they generally don't apply enough pressure for me. I ask them to focus mainly on my back but they seem to always follow a routine where the "hour" or "90 minutes" is split evenly amongst your body parts. I think I did, on separate cruises, about 15 massages before I decided it was just a waste of time and money. You also have to listen a sales pitch which cuts into the massage time.

Edited by somerandomidiot

(snip)

FYI - I believe that IsanTom meant $60 (not $6) for a 2 hour massage. But even so $60 for a 2 hour is an amazing deal. Locally most places charge 80-100 for a 90 minute. And keep in mind, on the ship, a 1 hour massage is probably only 50 minutes.

Enjoy.

Erika

He lives in Thailand, where they probably have $6 massages.

I would say if you've never had one get the deep tissue one so you'll know what one's like and they can adjust the pressure. That said, the bamboo massage is my favorite kind of massage and I've only found it offered on cruise ships. It is a rolling motion with the different bamboo rods they use rather than fingers and hands and I find they can actually go deeper without poking me and leaving bruises. I love when they roll the one on the back of your neck!

I would rather have a hot stone massage. Deep tissue hurts too much for me. Haven't tried a bamboo one.

You might try a spa sampler first where you can get 3 different types. Each lasts for about 20 minutes. Usually runs around $100. They sometimes offer an additional one for an extra $20 or so. That was how I learned about the hot stone massage and fell in love with it. Once you know which one you like then you can book a longer one of just that kind.

If you have back issues I would not get a massage on a cruise ship. The therapists are not trained properly on anything except trying to sell you additional services or products.

I beg to differ. I have DDD, and the DTM I got was very good, ableit expensive, and I know how to say no re: the other junk. DH has awful back problems, and he had acupuncture on another of our cruises, and it helped him a lot with his mobility, although it was temporary.

Edited by VASOXFANN

I truly am not trying to be snarky, but I'm curious why somebody would hold off seeking pain relief until an upcoming cruise, rather than finding a qualified practitioner in their local area to address a current issue? It's a fact you will pay top dollar on a cruise, and you do not have an opportunity to build a working relationship with the practitioner. Either massage or acupuncture treatments are usually not one time events when you are dealing with a chronic issue. Get a local recommendation so you can get consistent treatment plan in place.

He lives in Thailand, where they probably have $6 massages.

Reedl you are correct massages in Thailand are $6.00 US. 2 years they ago they had a price increase of 20%, so they were $5 prior to that. A good value here. I have no idea what they charge on ship for 2 hours. Anyone know?

If you bruise easily, dont have a DT on the first day unless you want to walk around the pool deck looking a bit spotty.

I had my first DT massage one summer long ago and had to wear trousers for weeks afterwards. I tried counting the bruises but stopped on my first leg before I got to my knee and I was nearly at 100.