Divina elevator doors

Squidward Q Tentacles

In my review I forgot to mention something kind of important. It is about the speed of which the elevator doors close on the Divina. If you are waiting on an elevator you need to watch the floor indicator light and keep track of which elevator might open. It is almost impossible to go from the farthest left elevator to the farthest right, or vice-a-versa, and make it before the doors close.

The problem gets worse as the cruise continues because many of the passengers learn a terrible secret. I almost hate to tell you this secret now, but here it is.

THE DOOR CLOSE BUTTON!!!!

If a person presses the door close button as the doors are opening it will instantly close.

And putting your hand into the door is really dangerous, at the veteran meeting a man was telling us that his wife did that and the back of her hand got cut pretty bad.

If you want to try to stick something in the door I recommend using something you don't really care about. I would stick my walking cane into the crack as it is closing, that or the toe of my shoes, use that at your own risk.

The doors are quick. One lady basically ran into me as I was trying to get off she was trying to hurry and get on. I said excuse me trying to get off but she kept trying to squeeze to get on between people. I said excuse me again and she just ran into me. I told her I was trying to get off she said if she didn't get on the doors would close, I'm standing directly in the door way and she wouldn't move. I'm a big chick - I ended up just shoving her out of my way.... I was done being nice and she just wanted on, which after she recovered from the shove, she was able to get on. I never had any issues except that 1 time.

Sent from my SM-G920T using Forums mobile app

TBH, I've seen this situation on NCL ships and hotels too. People are so afraid of missing the elevator they just about block you from getting off!!

Sheesh... however, I do understand and agree with you Squid... use a cane or purse or something other than a body part to stop the doors. I've found that not all elevators will stop for an obstruction so.. care certainly needs to be taken.

Thanks for the reminder Gard.

Cheers,

On our August cruise, I was the self appointed "hold the door" person on the elevators which I rode. The doors do close very fast, and there were many families with children, seniors in wheel chairs and folks who just were not aware of where they were going. So when I got on the elevator, I would position myself near the controls and would hold the "open door" button until everyone was on and off. After that I would hit the "close door" button and off we'd go.

I think I provided a much needed service. ;)

On our August cruise, I was the self appointed "hold the door" person on the elevators which I rode. The doors do close very fast, and there were many families with children, seniors in wheel chairs and folks who just were not aware of where they were going. So when I got on the elevator, I would position myself near the controls and would hold the "open door" button until everyone was on and off. After that I would hit the "close door" button and off we'd go.

I think I provided a much needed service. ;)

We need more people like you in this world lol.

It boggles my mind that while on vacation people are in such a hurry that they have to push the close door button before everyone is on.

I agree! That I why I wanted to let everyone know why the doors close extremely fast sometimes and what to watch for. And also be careful about putting their hands in to try and stop the doors.

Of all the devices man has made, I think the elevator is one that brings out both polite behavior and rude behavior in people.

It boggles my mind that while on vacation people are in such a hurry that they have to push the close door button before everyone is on.

I have to be honest - I'm guilty of this. Only on the occasions where I'm going quite far (otherwise I probably wouldn't use the lift at all) and for some reason the lift stops floor after floor with nobody getting on. It drives me insane.

This has only ever been a problem on Celebrity Eclipse, so perhaps there was some bug in the lift software.

Some people are just ignorant when it comes to personal space and elevator etiquette :mad:

One other thing, whenever the doors open people get on and fill the elevator. It does not matter if is going in the correct direction for them, they just get on and hit the button for the floor they want. It is not uncommon to get on about midway up and ride a full elevator to the top floor and nobody gets off.

For the last 4 or 5 cruises, we have managed to almost totally avoid all elevators. We walk the stairs as a way to stave off some of the "cruise weight" I usually add. Sounds like we will continue to do this on MSC. I am not a big fan of elevators anyway and the exercise is certainly not a bad thing. I never get rude people, life is way too short to get so upset about small things. In the South, instead of talking badly about someone we just say ""bless their hearts" which is a more polite way of saying what we really think of them. Add in whichever insult (in your head!) would work for you and they won't have a clue what you mean.

For the last 4 or 5 cruises, we have managed to almost totally avoid all elevators. We walk the stairs as a way to stave off some of the "cruise weight" I usually add. Sounds like we will continue to do this on MSC. I am not a big fan of elevators anyway and the exercise is certainly not a bad thing. I never get rude people, life is way too short to get so upset about small things. In the South, instead of talking badly about someone we just say ""bless their hearts" which is a more polite way of saying what we really think of them. Add in whichever insult (in your head!) would work for you and they won't have a clue what you mean.

Avoiding elevators is really a great thing to do. Inside a small enclosed area with people sometimes is a great way to get sick. One time on an elevator with another couple the doors stopped and a lady in a wheelchair was pushed into the elevator with us. She had a bucket on her lap that she was using to catch vomit, I saw that and said to my wife and the other couple let's get off now. No hesitation from them and the lady and the medical person with her had the elevator all to themselves.

Avoiding elevators is really a great thing to do. Inside a small enclosed area with people sometimes is a great way to get sick. One time on an elevator with another couple the doors stopped and a lady in a wheelchair was pushed into the elevator with us. She had a bucket on her lap that she was using to catch vomit, I saw that and said to my wife and the other couple let's get off now. No hesitation from them and the lady and the medical person with her had the elevator all to themselves.

Wow what a bad one.

Edited by MiamiChillin