New to NCL Please help Haven Owners Suite or Aft PH?

ashleyriley

Hello NCL Cruise Critic fans! As stated, we are new to NCL. We were intrigued by the Freestyle cruise experience that NCL offers, previously cruised exclusively with Azamara and Princess. With Princess we always sailed on the aft Penthouse suite. Loved the aft view and suite perks. We were booked on the NCL Jade in an aft facing Penthouse. Our Travel Agent notified us of an upgrade( only $500 for my husband and I) to the Owners Suite, forward on deck 9. Should we give up our highly coveted aft view for the Owner's Suite with Haven access? We also have concerns about wind as we have never been completely forward before. Thanks so much for any assistance and thoughts!

Hello NCL Cruise Critic fans! As stated, we are new to NCL. We were intrigued by the Freestyle cruise experience that NCL offers, previously cruised exclusively with Azamara and Princess. With Princess we always sailed on the aft Penthouse suite. Loved the aft view and suite perks. We were booked on the NCL Jade in an aft facing Penthouse. Our Travel Agent notified us of an upgrade( only $500 for my husband and I) to the Owners Suite, forward on deck 9. Should we give up our highly coveted aft view for the Owner's Suite with Haven access? We also have concerns about wind as we have never been completely forward before. Thanks so much for any assistance and thoughts!

1st welcome to CC. I have cruised on a sister ship, the Jewel, and I believe the deck plans are the same. We had an Owners Suite to Alaska and it was fabulous! There was some wind on the front balcony but never too much, but an Alaska cruise their speed is reduced. You hardly notice the wind if you're sitting. There is a large side balcony if the wind is too much on the front.

I've also sailed in an aft suite and love watching the wake.:) The downside of sailing aft is you're a long way from everything.

We went to the Haven a couple of times when we were in the OS, but didn't spend nearly as much time as when we had a Haven cabin.

On of the best things about the OS is just the amount of space. There is a large living room & dining room with a separate bedroom.

Let me see if I can post some pics when I get to my computer.:)

Thanks for the response. I have read Alaskan cruises have less wind on forward balconies, as you stated, speed is reduced. Not sure how the Med is going to be, we are doing the Venice, Greece, Croatia itinerary at the end of Sept.

Yes, living space and amenities of the Owner's Suite look amazing, one of the reasons we are contemplating the upgrade. How was the Haven? I know it is quite a bit smaller on Jewel class ships. Was the Haven crowed? I would hope it would be called "The Haven" for a reason...:-)

Thanks for the response. I have read Alaskan cruises have less wind on forward balconies, as you stated, speed is reduced. Not sure how the Med is going to be, we are doing the Venice, Greece, Croatia itinerary at the end of Sept.

Yes, living space and amenities of the Owner's Suite look amazing, one of the reasons we are contemplating the upgrade. How was the Haven? I know it is quite a bit smaller on Jewel class ships. Was the Haven crowed? I would hope it would be called "The Haven" for a reason...:-)

I've stayed in the OS on the Gem and the Jade and loved the suite. The Haven is identical basically on both ships and to be honest I on both ships only made the trek to it once to check it out. With this suite with both the front balcony which is great for views & sunbathing plus the side balcony iI could see no reason to sit in the Haven which has a pool about the size of the tub in your suite :) plus the Haven is closed in so its not like you can see the ocean.The front balcony even when sailing you could sit out & enjoy a drink without being blown away & again the views are fantastic.

Edited by dlynn0366

The Haven was very quiet and wasn't crowded. The Haven on the Jewel class ships is very small compared to the -away class, but there are a LOT fewer Haven cabins.

The front balcony would be great for sailing in/out of Venice. We were in a Haven penthouse on the Gem when we sailed out of Venice and went to the upper deck for sail away, but it's in the middle of the ship, so the view was restricted.

For that price I'd take the upgrade. As said, big room, two balconies, one main bath plus half bath. Unlimited in room water/soda. 3 bottles booze. The side balcony is a hull double width balcony - very quiet and not windy usually.

The Haven was very quiet and wasn't crowded. The Haven on the Jewel class ships is very small compared to the -away class, but there are a LOT fewer Haven cabins.

The front balcony would be great for sailing in/out of Venice. We were in a Haven penthouse on the Gem when we sailed out of Venice and went to the upper deck for sail away, but it's in the middle of the ship, so the view was restricted.

The OS are on the end so view is not obstructed.

Hi everyone, thanks so much for all the valuable advice. I was able to make a decision I feel good about, we are now the future residents of an Owner's Suite sailing out of Venice! We are very excited! As everyone said, the luxurious room, additional perks, and two balconies are completely worth it. I guess I shouldn't even have questioned doing the upgrade

. Again, thanks for the guidance.