Viking pick up - baggage claim?

zitsky

Stupid question. Viking sent us id stickers to wear on our clothing, so Viking reps can identify us. I imagine the Viking pick up is at baggage claim at our final destination? And we probably won't be the only people they are picking up? I imagine waiting in a big tour bus for a few dozen people to show up.

On our Rhine Getaway, Viking used the bus to pick us from the airport in Amsterdam and take us to the ship. I think there were only 4 of us. The representatives have an idea of who is coming in on what flights so I'm sure they plan accordingly. If passengers are arriving on flights around the same time, then they will wait for a larger group to transport. No need to wear ID tags, just look for the Viking reps with their signs. For our Bordeaux cruise, our flight was 3 hours late so Viking had a van pick the 6 of us up. We called to let them know our flights were delayed.

In Paris they picked us up after immigration. There were just 6 of us in a van. We bought our air from them. I put the sticker on after we got our bags and went out (I hated to look like such a tourist!) and took it off as soon as we saw the guy with the Viking sign.

I imagine the Viking pick up is at baggage claim at our final destination?

No, generally not at baggage claim as they cannot get air-side at the airport and will wait for you to clear immigration, collect your bags and exit the customs area.

So expect to find then just outside the final door you pass through into the public area of the airport.

They are usually very easy to spot due to the red jackets and their 'Viking' signs.

Just as Mark T says.

I think the instruction said to stick it to your shirt, well I had a jacket on top of my shirt :)

No we didn't wear the sticker; it's hard to miss the Viking staff and you'll have the Viking baggage tags on your bags..

No, generally not at baggage claim as they cannot get air-side at the airport and will wait for you to clear immigration, collect your bags and exit the customs area.

So expect to find then just outside the final door you pass through into the public area of the airport.

They are usually very easy to spot due to the red jackets and their 'Viking' signs.

Mark,

Can you say a little more in detail as to the order of exiting at CDG to find the Viking pickup reps? We booked a very late last minute cruise with Viking flyng into CDG and doubt we will get travel documents before departure. Thus we likely will not get the instructions usually included as to where we should expect to find the Viking people. This is our 6th cruise with VRC so we are familiar in general with procedure and have luggage tags.

But, most of the time we have exited or met pick up reps just outside of baggage pickup. What you describe sounds a bit different. We flew into Brussels in May not long after the bombing there and the Viking reps were not able to get very close so it took a bit more looking to find them but still no real problem.

If we don't get travel docs we will likely not have phone numbers to call in case our flights are delayed. We know that the pickup people have a printed list of all people they are to pick up and the flights they arrive on.

I will check with Viking but thought since you have just gone through the process, you might clue me in as to where to expect to look for the pickup reps.

Each airport often has a slightly different order of the exiting.

In Paris they picked us up after immigration. There were just 6 of us in a van. We bought our air from them. I put the sticker on after we got our bags and went out (I hated to look like such a tourist!) and took it off as soon as we saw the guy with the Viking sign.

Caradara,

I replied to Mark T.' posting but looks like I probably should have replied to yours with my question as it looks like you were specifically referring to pick up at CDG.

If you don't mind, will you you check what I asked Mark so I don't bore people with repeating it?

I am mainly questioning whether at CDG we get our bags at baggage claim before immigration or what the order is. It seems there isn't a standard practice at all these overseas airports.

Red Fox we just got travel docs yesterday from Viking for our 10/28 cruise out of Paris....and the only information in there about meeting their rep was... look for the Viking Representatives as you leave the customs area...nothing very specific. In the past they always provided a small airport map with the reps location marked. Not so this time....I figure we will run across the red jackets and signs someplace! If I remember correctly at CDG you collect luggage and then pass through the final customs clearance into an arrivals hall....but it has been a long time and I am sure others have much better airport info on CDG. Just wanted to let you know you aren't missing much/anything about pick up directions if you don't get your docs.

I am mainly questioning whether at CDG we get our bags at baggage claim before immigration or what the order is. It seems there isn't a standard practice at all these overseas airports.

The essentials don't really change much, the last thing you'll do is collect your bags, once you do that you will be heading out of the air-side controlled area through customs and into the land-side public area.

The customs process in most European airports is so subtle you may not even notice it when compared to the US process.

Soon as you enter the public land-side area just look for the red Viking jackets, they will not be far away...

Thanks Mark and mhb1757!

I suspect we will figure it out. We have gone through CDG several times and left from there once back in 2012 but each time there was construction going on and never the same twice.

I will call Viking and get a ship phone number in case we have a plane delay. Supposed to have a non-stop from Charlotte, NC airport but never know if plane will be on time.

It seems there isn't a standard practice at all these overseas airports.

I think the process is the same at all international arrivals, both in Europe and entering the USA

On arrival

1) Immigration, where you show your passport to the officer (or use the passport reading machine)

2) Go to baggage claim

3) Take baggage and pass though customs to exit

Arrivals to the USA must fill in a customs declaration which is handed to customs officer as you exit baggage claim, in European airports there's usually a red exit which means you have goods in excess of duty free limits to declare to an officer, or a green exit which you take if you don'thave goods in excess of duty free limits. You can be stopped there in a spot check, but it's likely you will not even see a customs officer.

There may be a blue exit, which you can use if travelling from another EU country as there are no customs formalities between EU countries. If you fly out from an EU country your airline baggage tag will have green edging stripe entitling you to use a blue exit.

Viking reps will be outside after you exit customs

Thanks Mark and mhb1757!

I suspect we will figure it out. We have gone through CDG several times and left from there once back in 2012 but each time there was construction going on and never the same twice.

I will call Viking and get a ship phone number in case we have a plane delay. Supposed to have a non-stop from Charlotte, NC airport but never know if plane will be on time.

Not to worry-Viking already knows who is arriving on what flight and will probably know that you will be arriving late before you do😃 They will not leave you stranded if you have purchased a Viking transfer. I've never had a problem connecting with the airport Viking rep, even in a busy place like CDG.

Viking is VERY good with Viking transfer customers. I missed the whole first day of a cruise because of airplane mechanical in US. They met me at the European airport and provided a private taxi to catch up to the itinerary. They treat their customers well.