added VAT?

jjeffjb

On our Cruise on Riviera some weeks ago from Venice to Barcelona (with one non EU port Kotor) there was VAT added only when we reached Spanish waters.

Beatnix

On our cruise on the Riviera in 31st August from Venice-Koper-Ravenna-Dubrovnik-Kotor-Corfu-Gythion-Santorini-Patmos-Mykonos-Piraeus , there was the "standard"18% charges Oceania usually puts on , but there was no 22% VAT for plying onto Italian waters. I checked with the receptionist and she indicated that she had not heard about adding the 22% VAT for that cruise, so there was no VAT.

If I remembered correctly, when we were on the Riviera last year departing from Barcelona, there was that extra VAT added.

At this point in time, I am no wiser how and which waters in the EU do we have to pay the extra VAT.

Edited by Cahpek

At this point in time, I am no wiser how and which waters in the EU do we have to pay the extra VAT.

The "rules" seem to be morphing daily, but in general:

1. The Embarkation Port is the one which determines which Country would benefit .

2. Cruises which only call at EU Ports, pay the VAT (i.e. no recognition is given for being "outside territorial waters").

3. For Cruises which call at a non-EU port, VAT relief only applies from that port call, onward. The first portion of the Cruise would still be charged VAT, and forgiveness of the VAT is always at the discretion of the host country.

4. Not every Duty Free Port is created equal. Monaco is almost always a Free Port, but not for cruises which embark in France. Don't assume, know before you go.

Things are in such a state of flux over there that most Pursers Offices are working on the "If they don't ask for it, we don't make waves by asking why" policy. So, if you think that you may have gotten away with something, for goodness sake remember that if the fish had not opened his mouth, he never would have gotten caught!

Count the extra money in your pocket as you go home quietly....

Edited by JimandStan