River Cruising newbie question

Shepsue

As I'm reading through member posts, I see the term rafting used. I'm used to cruising on large ocean vessels so I have no clue what rafting really means. Could someone please explain it to me? Many thanks for the river cruising education!

Thank you both! That doesn't seem to me like that big of a deal.

I'm currently in the process of uploading my photos from our recent cruise, but they are not all up yet. We were rafted 3 times - mostly for a few hours. On only one of the times was our view obstructed. Wasn't a big deal. I'll post the pics when I get them up.

While I never considered it a "big" deal, there are a couple of instances I can see (and have read here) where it has bothered people quite a bit. One is if you are mobility impaired - going through another boat (or more than one) on the way to the dock can be difficult - not all boats are at the same level so you might be required to go up/down stairs, etc. I'm sure staff would assist if possible, but still a consideration for those who cannot do stairs easily or at all. Though if you cannot do stairs at all, I'm not sure river cruising is the best/easiest travel option.

The second reason is that people who book balconies (real or french) and do not read about rafting ahead of time tend to get very upset when their view is hampered in any way. I loved my balcony as much as the next gal, but if there happened to be a boat there in the morning or at night, oh well, (I sleep with the curtains closed) Better view later. But some people, not knowing about rafting, take this as a personal affront.

While I never considered it a "big" deal, there are a couple of instances I can see (and have read here) where it has bothered people quite a bit. One is if you are mobility impaired - going through another boat (or more than one) on the way to the dock can be difficult - not all boats are at the same level so you might be required to go up/down stairs, etc. I'm sure staff would assist if possible, but still a consideration for those who cannot do stairs easily or at all. Though if you cannot do stairs at all, I'm not sure river cruising is the best/easiest travel option.

The second reason is that people who book balconies (real or french) and do not read about rafting ahead of time tend to get very upset when their view is hampered in any way. I loved my balcony as much as the next gal, but if there happened to be a boat there in the morning or at night, oh well, (I sleep with the curtains closed) Better view later. But some people, not knowing about rafting, take this as a personal affront.

These are both valid points. On several Christmas market cruises we have rafted with boats that required us to go up icy outdoor steps then over to the other boat and then repeat on the way down to the lobby of the other boat. This was very difficult for those with any mobility issues.

Several times our balcony has been up against another boat. Our experience is that is has rarely been for a long time.

On most riverboat cruises, there will be rafting. It isn't terrible. Sometimes it is 2. Often it can be 3. Imagine being between 2 other boats. Darkness. Open your curtain and you can be looking at somebody in another cabin. Keep your curtains closed when you are not in your cabin. Never leave your windows or doors open. Be sure you know which ship you are on. I was on a Viking ship which was between 2 other Viking ships in Vienna. Got off the ship to explore. When I returned, my ship was the furthest one out of the 3. While I was off the ship, the ships changed position. Since Viking long ships look alike, remember to look around when you return. Met people who were on the wrong ship by mistake. It would have been nice if Viking had announced the rafting, had the program director mention it at the daily briefing, or put it in the daily sheet. For many people sailing for the first time, it was a surprise. Some people complained about not being able to use their balconies. The rivers are crowded. Rafting is common. Get used to it. The alternative is that some ports are so crowded that ships dock far away from where you thought you would be docked. When visiting Nuremberg, we docked in a far away place. We were told that it was a short 10-15 minute drive to the old town. It was 45 minutes each way without traffic. That is worse than rafting. I would rather raft and be closer to the port. Trying to avoid rafting, cruise in the off season.

Thank you both! That doesn't seem to me like that big of a deal.

If you keep that attitude, you won't have any problem with it. Look on it as an opportunity to meet someone if you have a cabin with a french balcony. I've repeated this story several times on CC, but since you're new it bears repeating. First time we were rafted was on the Nile in Egypt. Opened the drapes to my french balcony and HELLO..there was somebody else right next door! I sat down and in a few minutes their drapes opened. I smiled, they waved, I opened the door to the balcony and we started talking. They were from England and were traveling in opposite direction from us. She made tea, I got out the cookies and we compared notes! Second time was in Russia but this time the first thing we needed to do was find a language both of us could speak...it took a few minutes till we got to French and then we broke out the wine and had a lovely chat. Just make sure everybody's "decent" before opening those drapes!! :D