Pacific Ocean- late Oct/into Nov.

Bbearz

I am a seasoned cruiser, but have not been out in the Pacific- We are heading to Hawaii then on to Tahiti...have done CA to Mex though...I am wondering what the ocean will be like- not counting any late hurricanes...rough, high seas, etc...Have been around Great Britain, the Caribbean, one trip from Boston to Bermuda (in spring- very high seas...) Just want to know what can be expected... Only sea sick on Bermuda trip... And I know this is a subjective question.....Thanks for the help!

I am a seasoned cruiser, but have not been out in the Pacific- We are heading to Hawaii then on to Tahiti...have done CA to Mex though...I am wondering what the ocean will be like- not counting any late hurricanes...rough, high seas, etc...Have been around Great Britain, the Caribbean, one trip from Boston to Bermuda (in spring- very high seas...) Just want to know what can be expected... Only sea sick on Bermuda trip... And I know this is a subjective question.....Thanks for the help!

I've done a few Pacific coastal cruises, and one round-trip to Hawaii, so I don't know about Tahiti. But, I can tell you that the Pacific is huge, and very unpredictable. Our crossing to Hawaii was the only cruise where I've experienced sea-sickness. Although it wasn't stormy, we encountered what is called a "beam sea", where the ship crosses waves from a different direction. By the second day, my vestibular system had made the necessary adjustments. Thank goodness for that, since we had four more days at sea!

No doubt about it, the Pacific can get wild closer to shore, too. The worst storm we ever sailed through was on the return leg of a Mexican Riviera cruise. The last night, coming back to LA from Cabo, things really rocked and rolled -- even some of the crew members were seasick! :eek:

Not trying to scare you off. If I had the chance, I'd take a Trans-Pacific cruise, in a heartbeat! Just be prepared: make sure you have clothing for chilly weather, and bring an adequate amount of your favorite sea-sickness remedy (for me, that's Bonine and ginger). :cool:

Edited by wwcruisers

The biggest diff between the Atlantic and Pacific is that the Atlantic gets more chop, the Pacific gets more swell (long, rolling waves). The longer waves can make a ship move more than the short chop of the Atlantic. That said, my experience of both oceans is mostly from onboard afrigate weighing in at about 5,000 tons, not a cruise ship weighing 20 times that and with stabilizer fins, to boot. :) I found the crossing on the QM2 from NY to Southampton to be very smooth compared to what I'm normally used to. :D

Edited by Jackytar