January cruise San Francisco to Hawaii. Weather over the 15 days please.

Caribbeanqueen2016

Please can anyone advise us of what clothing to pack? We are travelling out of San Francisco on 8th January 2017. I know we will need sun clothes for around Hawaii but what about the journey there and back?? I've been watching YouTube and I saw rain and hardly anyone outside on deck!! I'm used to cruising around the Caribbean and sweltering, but have no idea about this route. I just presumed it would be hot all the time lol. Please can someone help me who's been on this cruise in January. Or knows about it. I'd be very grateful. Also if the sea is rough too please.:D thanks in advance.

Please can anyone advise us of what clothing to pack? We are travelling out of San Francisco on 8th January 2017. I know we will need sun clothes for around Hawaii but what about the journey there and back?? I've been watching YouTube and I saw rain and hardly anyone outside on deck!! I'm used to cruising around the Caribbean and sweltering, but have no idea about this route. I just presumed it would be hot all the time lol. Please can someone help me who's been on this cruise in January. Or knows about it. I'd be very grateful. Also if the sea is rough too please.:D thanks in advance.

As you've figured out, once around Hawaii, it's going to most likely be warm.

San Francisco in January - not so much. It's cold and rainly then. And will be for some distance out to sea, also.

I'd suggest packing things that you can layer for warmth, but be able to remove as the weather warms up. Then relayer when heading back to San Francisco.

Sea could be rough. We've found on our Pacific cruises (Apr & Oct) it was pretty rocky closer to the mainland than further out.

No one is going to be able to predict the weather...

It could be mild and dry in SF. But January is also the wettest month of the year.

Seas could be calm, moderate, or rough.

Hawaii's weather doesn't vary much. Warm and some humidity. But it rains there also, a relatively warm rain. It rarely ruins an entire day.

A google search for SF and a couple of the Hawaii ports will get you the factual data.

First two days out and last two days in can be chilly and a bit bumpy. The currents travel straight down from Alaska and your itin sails across the current. Make sure you have a wrap for the ship and something for outdoors, especially if your ship has outdoor movies.

It's possible to get storms coming from the Hawaiian Islands called the Pineapple Express. We like these because they bring much needed rain. California is on severe water restrictions.

Pacific is a huge misnomer. She was simply calmer than what Magellan just encountered under the tip of South America. She can be very mischievous, never turn your back on her.

FWIW West Coast cruisers are used to a gentle roll and usually have no problem. Can always pick out the Caribbean cruiser as they are turning a bit green the first day or so.

We are sailing from San Diego to Hawaii in February - we have been assured that there will be some sort of weather every day - both ways. Whether it will be pleasant or not, or how the rough the seas will be, have not been included in those assurances. I am inclined to think sailing from SF in January will be a bit similar - possibly just a little cooler the first and last days.

You will get what you will get: be ready for it.