HAL Tea

ozcruizer

• 1 month later...
In HAL MDR's they bring that little metal pot -which has pretty well cooled by the time it gets to the table - with the tea bag next to it. Save your bag for the Lido so you can almost do it right.

I hate to resurrect a dying thread here, but this is still the case. During afternoon tea it was hard to get very-hot water. I had a better chance if I was early for tea, that way it had just been poured into the carafe (I have a feeling they fill 50 at a time, and then it sits).

It was also comical when I mentioned that I don't take my tea with cream and could they please bring me milk instead. Here I was expecting a little silver pitcher of milk, instead I got a full tumbler of milk. Needless to say, I made a mess trying to pour it. :rolleyes:

It was hard for me to remember to bring my own tea bags, and I sadly ended up drinking Bigelow many times. I even asked for PG Tips, but there were blank stares.

Despite all this, I would do it again. The Dining Room is so relaxing and quiet during Afternoon Tea, it really is a lovely break in the day.

You have to bring your own - unless you are satisfied with pot luck - I always travel with Lapsang Souchong.

More important: you must make it yourself. With the exception of a few London restaurants and hotels, no one seems to to know that the cup (or pot) needs to be pre-heated with boiling water before putting in the tea (loose or bag) and instantly adding boiling water.

In HAL MDR's they bring that little metal pot -which has pretty well cooled by the time it gets to the table - with the tea bag next to it. Save your bag for the Lido so you can almost do it right.

On K'dam last month, they had the little metal pots in the MDR. The water was very hot, and I only had to ask once that the tea bag go in right away and then they did that every night.

Well since this thread has been resurrected,

I totally confess I am a tad finicky on my tea and a bag in a cup doesn't cut it. I have been able to find a teapot on most cruises by asking nicely.

the only exception was the Maasdam a few years ago. They seemed to be a special item that were not meant for the dining room.

and in the Pinnacle Grill at breakfast - my friend found if filled with prune juice instead of tea:eek: True story and it's on my old live thread ;)

I continue to expect or ask for a teapot and hopefully it continues to happen. Tea is NOT brewed in a cup.

Just off the Osterdam last week. There was always a pot, not just the cup, for VERY hot water. The water was so hot you could only touch the little knob on top of the lid and not get burned. Personally, I love Bigelow tea but, there was always a supply of PG Tips in the Lido. I would have grabbed a couple of those if I wanted them in the MDR. My husband asked for milk a couple of times and received the same drinking glass. He gave up since it made such a mess.

Well since this thread has been resurrected,

I totally confess I am a tad finicky on my tea and a bag in a cup doesn't cut it. I have been able to find a teapot on most cruises by asking nicely.

the only exception was the Maasdam a few years ago. They seemed to be a special item that were not meant for the dining room.

and in the Pinnacle Grill at breakfast - my friend found if filled with prune juice instead of tea:eek: True story and it's on my old live thread ;)

I continue to expect or ask for a teapot and hopefully it continues to happen. Tea is NOT brewed in a cup.

Now that I've heard this, I will be VERY careful to check what's inside if they put a teapot on my table! :')

You are absolutely right. Tea is NOT brewed in a cup!