Carnival Magic/we upgraded, they didn't

crusing48/51

Thank you all for your replies. I guess I made it sound like we're jerks. I didn't mean to, but it does sound that way. We booked the cruise over a year ago. There was no broken ankle, and no suite upgrade then. We didn't talk them into it, they have cruised before. We decided together to take this cruise.

If we were in the same situation, we would have cancelled. I have had to cancel a cruise before, due to an unexpected surgery. There wasn't enough time to recover before the sail date, so it was rescheduled.

We have been friends with these people for a very long time, so will talk to them, explain about the suite(before we get to the port), and go along at our friends pace.

After all, life happens, and we have to go with it!

He still has 5 weeks more to heal, so things will be improved mobility wise. They can still board on their own, they know the ropes. It's also up to them to recognize limits so they should not expect you to change excursions because of them. That's their problem.

I can't believe the number of people who are pulling out the "pity me, I have a disability" card, or who actually are riding the OP for not being more considerate, or more equitable, or who are actually insinuating that the OP is a bad person for not wanting a vacation they are paying for to measure up to their expectations.

Both parties are (I'm presuming) adults and they all know that (heaven help us) life is not fair. I'm not going to dumb down a vacation I was looking forward to in order to accommodate someone else's misfortune...why should I have to become cerebral to "prove" that I'm a nice person and a good friend. This isn't a single day "in the life" but a looked forward to vacation.

I wonder how many who are berating the OP would actually change their plans just to be a "good" friend. And isn't friendship a two way street where both parties are responsible to each other.

I did not think your post came off as rude or mean in any way. If I bought a suite or FTTF I would just tell my companions and give them the chance to do the same.

I would definitely tell them now and not at port. I worry that they would feel that this was concealed from them and they did not even get the chance to upgrade to a suite. I would also let them know now about the perks that come with it. I would not wait in line with them and would let them know that I will save them a nice spot at a table when they make it on board.

Edited by asalligo

I don't think your post was rude either.

I took a cruise with me and my boys and my mom came and brought my niece with her. I had FTTF and she did not, and that was just fine with her. We did an excursion all together and she and I played Trivia one time, but other then that we all basically did our own thing. We always met for dinner and one night went to the show all together, but even with my mom I didn't feel the need to spend every moment with her. People like to do different things.

As far as the boarding question....are you traveling to the port together or separate? The reason I ask, if you were traveling in 2 cars, I could see the point of "We will meet you on the Lido deck at 2 pm" or something like that. You don't want to be standing around the parking lot waiting for someone

If you are traveling together to port, I think it is a bit rude, all walking to the terminal together to turn and say "well see you on board" as opposed to just waiting in line together to get on the ship....Is the mindset of "I gotta be on first" so ingrained in some peoples minds? :confused:

Edited by First and Ten

As far as the boarding question....are you traveling to the port together or separate? The reason I ask, if you were traveling in 2 cars, I could see the point of "We will meet you on the Lido deck at 2 pm" or something like that. You don't want to be standing around the parking lot waiting for someone

If you are traveling together to port, I think it is a bit rude, all walking to the terminal together to turn and say "well see you on board" as opposed to just waiting in line together to get on the ship....Is the mindset of "I gotta be on first" so ingrained in some peoples minds? :confused:

Seriously FaT, "gotta be on first" again?

They are ENTITLED to get on first because of their suite. Their injured friend will board really just minutes afterward. I don't see an issue here as long as everyone's expectations are aligned.

Seriously FaT, "gotta be on first" again?

They are ENTITLED to get on first because of their suite. Their injured friend will board really just minutes afterward. I don't see an issue here as long as everyone's expectations are aligned.

So whats the big deal in waiting with your friends for the "extra few minutes"? Unless getting on board that fast is such a priority....I said, if you were in different cars and meeting at the port at different times, it would be ridiculous to wait around in the parking lot....Going to the port together, walking thru parking lot, up to terminal and you would turn to your "friends" and say "Well ok, we like getting on the ship first, so you can go stand in line by yourself, we really don't want to wait with you....oh, see ya soon"

That's not rude at all........NOOOOOOOOO, keep thinking that mom :rolleyes:

Edited by First and Ten

So whats the big deal in waiting with your friends for the "extra few minutes"? Unless getting on board that fast is such a priority....I said, if you were in different cars and meeting at the port at different times, it would be ridiculous to wait around in the parking lot....Going to the port together, walking thru parking lot, up to terminal and you would turn to your "friends" and say "Well ok, we like getting on the ship first, so you can go stand in line by yourself, we really don't want to wait with you....oh, see ya soon"

That's not rude at all........NOOOOOOOOO, keep thinking that mom :rolleyes:

I think that you missed this ... you seem to have a habit of reading only what you think is important ...

I don't see an issue here as long as everyone's expectations are aligned.

This means that they need to communicate and have a plan before arriving at the port.

Edited by Schoifmom

I think that you missed this ... you seem to have a habit of reading only what you think is important ...

This means that they need to communicate and have a plan before arriving at the port.

So, if you are riding to the port together, you are going to tell your friends, BEFORE HAND that you wont be waiting in line with them? seriously? Maybe use the line of "well we like to get on as quickly as we can and we just hate waiting in line, so we cant wait for you.....they may run out of the Drink of the Day, so we need to get one, but don't worry, we will save you a sip from our cup" :rolleyes:

Edited by First and Ten

So, if you are riding to the port together, you are going to tell your friends, BEFORE HAND that you wont be waiting in line with them? seriously? Maybe use the line of "well we are FIRSTIES and we just hate waiting in line, so we cant wait for you.....they may run out of the Drink of the Day, so we need to get one, but don't worry, we will save you a sip from our cup" :rolleyes:

:rolleyes::mad: Again, you are blowing things way out of proportion. Who ran over your toes getting to the ship first?

If these people are truly friends and both couples are experienced cruisers, they will figure it out without anyone's feelings getting hurt. Really, it is possible for adults to communicate and come up with a plan that doesn't involve anyone getting their panties in a bunch.

Seriously???? I don't think the person with the injury or disability needs uninformed assistance regarding an accommodation. Maybe this is coming from a good place in your heart but it really is seriously offensive to somebody who lives with the limitation and has looked into alternatives. Do you really think a person who actually has the ankle injury has not looked at how to be mobile without pain?

Yeah actually, I'm being serious. Since we've just gone through a big ankle ordeal I don't think my comments are uninformed at all. A lot of people either don't know or don't want to try the knee scooter, but once you do for most people it's great. My girl was very reluctant to give it a try but once she did there were really no limitations to what we could do while she was in her cast.:D

Travelling with friends doens't mean conjoined twins time with friends.

Just let them know that you upgraded to a suite, make it sound like it was a DEAL to not be passed up if you guys are really close.

Speaking solely as a male (and most likely for most males), I'd be relieved that I wasn't "stuck" with the other couple all the time.

Unless of course she is completely GORGY, isn't a talker and infatuated with me! ;)

I agree that you need to tell them now otherwise it seems like you are doing something wrong by hiding it. That's what guilty people do. Be straight up and I'm sure they will be glad for you.

Just because you travel with someone doesn't mean you have to be together all the time. I go solo a lot in my own cabin. Sometimes I have family/friends with, sometimes I don't. We eat dinner together every night and meet up a couple times through out the day depending on what's going on.

I am trying to plan a big group cruise for a bunch of us next year. You better believe that I will be relaxing in the Priority Lounge while the others aren't. It doesn't make me a bad person, and it really has nothing to do with being on "First". It's called making the most of my perks that I have earned. If they want to get on sooner, have their cabins ready, etc., then they will have to buy FTTF. We will arrive to the port at the same time I imagine and I will meet them onboard. No big deal. They know this going in and it's not an issue whatsoever.

We are going to be driving down from NC together in the same vehicle with our friends. We will be telling them about the suite, but at the time we are planning on boarding, there shouldn't be too many people in line, around 2 pm.

Right now, we're just ready to cruise. We have all had a long year to wait for this vacation, and now that it's almost here, we all want to make the most of it.

The suggestions that we don't have to do everything together sound good, and we will definitely be discussing that topic with them. So far it's been travel plans, and excursions, and " what time are we leaving the morning we drive to Florida?".

We generally do "date night" with them here about twice a month, and we all get along great. This will be our first vacation with them. They have not offered to plan anything, and that's fine. They are more "spur of the moment", whereas I like to at least have an idea of what to do. We have 2 excursions booked with them, and 2 ports with nothing planned. We did tell them they are on their own in those ports, way before any ankle, or kidney issues.

I think we will be fine, and have a great vacation. I hope you all do the same.

We are going to be driving down from NC together in the same vehicle with our friends. We will be telling them about the suite, but at the time we are planning on boarding, there shouldn't be too many people in line, around 2 pm.

Right now, we're just ready to cruise. We have all had a long year to wait for this vacation, and now that it's almost here, we all want to make the most of it.

The suggestions that we don't have to do everything together sound good, and we will definitely be discussing that topic with them. So far it's been travel plans, and excursions, and " what time are we leaving the morning we drive to Florida?".

We generally do "date night" with them here about twice a month, and we all get along great. This will be our first vacation with them. They have not offered to plan anything, and that's fine. They are more "spur of the moment", whereas I like to at least have an idea of what to do. We have 2 excursions booked with them, and 2 ports with nothing planned. We did tell them they are on their own in those ports, way before any ankle, or kidney issues.

Cruising, if you get there at 2:00, you will all board together. You'll check in using different lines, but will board together :) I hope you all enjoy your cruise!

At 2 pm, both lines will literally be no wait, so you could actually board on the "commoners" line with your friends if you wanted (I know I will get flamed from the "perk" people, they like to feel special. They don't realize that both lines actually lead to the same ship :D). Safe travels and enjoy your cruise

Edited by First and Ten

At 2 pm, both lines will literally be no wait, so you could actually board on the "commoners" line with your friends if you wanted (I know I will get flamed from the "perk" people, they like to feel special. They don't realize that both lines actually lead to the same ship :D). Safe travels and enjoy your cruise

Of course people know it leads to the same ship. Duh. The only reason I can see for you constantly berating those that like to use the perks they have earned is that you're jealous. There isn't any other explanation that I can think of. They aren't doing anything wrong and if they want to board when they are supposed to, great. They aren't breaking any rules and it really doesn't affect you (or maybe it hurts your feelings that they are "special" and you aren't).

If you have a problem with the perks, take it up with Carnival. If not, then leave it alone.

Of course people know it leads to the same ship. Duh. The only reason I can see for you constantly berating those that like to use the perks they have earned is that you're jealous. There isn't any other explanation that I can think of. They aren't doing anything wrong and if they want to board when they are supposed to, great. They aren't breaking any rules and it really doesn't affect you (or maybe it hurts your feelings that they are "special" and you aren't).

If you have a problem with the perks, take it up with Carnival. If not, then leave it alone.

Just because you cant think of it, doesn't mean another explanation doesn't exist....kind of conceited of you that you think you know all the angles to a debate....right? Maybe you are not that bright to think of all the different opinions and angles, who knows. Lets recap. I said I would think its rude if you went to the port together and as you were walking up to the terminal, turning to my FRIENDS and basically saying "we are getting on first, see ya"....go back and read my posts on this. I said if you were meeting there, then yes, it would make sense to use it as you don't want to be hanging out in the parking lot waiting. I didn't berate anyone, I gave my OPINION on that situation. Are you saying that if someones opinion differs from yours, they are WRONG? Nor did I claim that the person that is able to board early is doing anything wrong or breaking the rules. I never said that so why are you attributing that to me? They are absolutely not affecting me. I am not going on their cruise, so I don't know how what they do or how they board would affect me. That point makes no sense. Jealousy? not at all. Typically when I cruise I arrive to the port around 2 pm.....its like a free "FTTF"....no lines, cabin ready and I stroll very leisurely onto the ship, usually within 20 mins of entering the terminal....I do however have luggage envy. My luggage doesn't have those "special" orange stickers on it.....sigh, I feel so empty :(....:D

Edited by First and Ten

Why are you are always so condescending and berating of people who dont do things exactly like you do? Thats likely the reason you get "flamed" IMO. I doubt it has anything to do with the "perk people" wanting to feel special. :cool:

Ill be damned if I get sucked into another one of your arguments again though.

Happy cruising.

Why are you are always so condescending and berating of people who dont do things exactly like you do? Thats likely the reason you get "flamed" IMO. I doubt it has anything to do with the "perk people" wanting to feel special. :cool:

Ill be damned if I get sucked into another one of your arguments again though.

Happy cruising.

LOL, so you comment on my post and then basically say "I don't want to discuss this with you"....That is a very mature way to have a discussion. The mindset of "you listen to me but I don't want to listen to you"

I wasn't looking for an argument with you ryano, you commented on my post, I never mentioned you at all. Sounds like you are the one looking for an argument

Edited by First and Ten

Just because you cant think of it, doesn't mean another explanation doesn't exist....kind of conceited of you that you think you know all the angles to a debate....right? Maybe you are not that bright to think of all the different opinions and angles, who knows. Lets recap. I said I would think its rude if you went to the port together and as you were walking up to the terminal, turning to my FRIENDS and basically saying "we are getting on first, see ya"....go back and read my posts on this. I said if you were meeting there, then yes, it would make sense to use it as you don't want to be hanging out in the parking lot waiting. I didn't berate anyone, I gave my OPINION on that situation. Are you saying that if someones opinion differs from yours, they are WRONG? Nor did I claim that the person that is able to board early is doing anything wrong or breaking the rules. I never said that so why are you attributing that to me? They are absolutely not affecting me. I am not going on their cruise, so I don't know how what they do or how they board would affect me. That point makes no sense. Jealousy? not at all. Typically when I cruise I arrive to the port around 2 pm.....its like a free "FTTF"....no lines, cabin ready and I stroll very leisurely onto the ship, usually within 20 mins of entering the terminal....I do however have luggage envy. My luggage doesn't have those "special" orange stickers on it.....sigh, I feel so empty :(....:D

Then do tell. What other reason is it? It seems every thread about FTTF or perks you have to chime in with the "Firstie" phrase. And the comment about the lines leading to the same ship is pretty harsh.

Just because people want to use their benefits whether or not others are traveling with them doesn't make them insensitive. It means they want to take advantage of a perk they earned. It's not a biggie unless the people they are traveling with are spoiled brats and want to whine and complain about it. Any reasonable person would understand that they earned the privilege to board sooner. Besides their S&S cards are in a different section anyway so they will need to separate once getting inside the terminal. I'll meet my travel mates on board when it's their turn and no one has any hard feelings because of it.

All this has been (and should be known way ahead of time as to not cause any confusion). It's no different than boarding a plane in Zone 1 when the other people you are traveling with have Zone 3.

If you want your luggage early, then carry it on like I do. It is possible to pack for a week with a carry on and under seat case.

Edited by firemanbobswife

Then do tell. What other reason is it? It seems every thread about FTTF or perks you have to chime in with the "Firstie" phrase. And the comment about the lines leading to the same ship is pretty harsh.

Just because people want to use their benefits whether or not others are traveling with them doesn't make them insensitive. It means they want to take advantage of a perk they earned. It's not a biggie unless the people they are traveling with are spoiled brats and want to whine and complain about it. Any reasonable person would understand that they earned the privilege to board sooner. Besides their S&S cards are in a different section anyway so they will need to separate once getting inside the terminal. I'll meet my travel mates on board when it's their turn and no one has any hard feelings because of it.

All this has been (and should be known way ahead of time as to not cause any confusion). It's no different than boarding a plane in Zone 1 when the other people you are traveling with have Zone 3.

If you want your luggage early, then carry it on like I do. It is possible to pack for a week with a carry on and under seat case.

And that is an OPINION you are stating....if I am with another couple and I have priority boarding and they don't, and we arrive at the port together, yes, I am waiting with them on the general line....I would not turn to them and say "well, see you on board later"....that is my OPINION.....if you chose to handle it a different way, hey, have at it. I am sharing what I would do in that specific situation....it doesn't mean that I would spend every waking moment with them and we had to do everything together.

Edited by First and Ten

And that is an OPINION you are stating....if I am with another couple and I have priority boarding and they don't, and we arrive at the port together, yes, I am waiting with them on the general line....I would not turn to them and say "well, see you on board later"....that is my OPINION.....if you chose to handle it a different way, hey, have at it. I am sharing what I would do in that specific situation....it doesn't mean that I would spend every waking moment with them and we had to do everything together.

You're right - it is my opinion. And I wouldn't expect to get flack from anyone that doesn't agree with me just like I wouldn't think bad of someone that waited in the main lounge. But just know that if you ever reach Platinum that you will need to separate once you get inside because your S&S cards are kept in a different location. Where you go from there is up to you.

So, here is our dilemma. We are cruising with another couple on the Magic in October. They are on a tight budget, but have their first ever balcony. DH and I originally had a balcony as well, but I surprised him and upgraded us to a suite.

Do we tell the other couple before we go, or at the port? We will have priority boarding, but they won't. Do we wait in line at check in with them, or go to priority check in, and meet up with them on the ship?

We don't want to hurt their feelings, but we would like to use our perks that come with the suite. Any suggestions?

As a side note, the man going with us recently broke his ankle, and will be in a cast, or boot, for the whole trip. He will obviously be a bit slower than normal, and we don't want to make him feel like he's holding us up, but he probably will to some extent.

I have suggested that they may possibly want to cancel and rebook for another time when he will be more mobile, but they both say they really want to go and will not cancel. They are booked past guest, so no penalty if they did cancel and rebook.

I guess DH and I sound somewhat selfish, but we want to enjoy our cruise and not feel like we are having to entertain the other couple, and wait for them all the time.

What would you do in this situation?

I understand your dilemma.

We've cruised with friends for years. We're Platinum, They are gold. The first time we cruised together I told them that I felt badly about waiting in the VIP lounge and that we'd wait with them. They would not hear of it! They said that we deserve the perk and that we'd see each other on the ship.

The wife had a knee replacement eight weeks before the cruise and was walking around with a cane. We booked one excursion together but did separate things on the other ports. On Curacao she was perfectly content to sit on her balcony and ice her knee while her husband and the two of us walked around. We met at dinner and talked about our days ashore. On sea days, we hung around on deck together.

My point is to be honest with your friends NOW. Don't wait. Explain that you were able to upgrade. If they are true friends, they'll be thrilled for you. Also discuss which excursions you'd like to take with them and which you'd like to do alone.

Have a great cruise.

If he will still be in the boot or cast, he can request a wheel chair (like now) and he & the wife will be able to board at the bottom of the ship & not walk up the ramps like everyone else. I'm not sure, but I think he will be able to board earlier than regular cruises as well.