Buffet

ronrick1943

When caviar is on the Compass Rose dinner menu I always ask for a double portion. The only problem is that none of the cruise lines seem to understand that white toast is superior to blinis with caviar (we like a squeeze of lemon and sometimes a bit of sour cream, unless it's beluga; egg, onion or anything else is sacrilegious) or the concept of keeping a bottle of vodka or akavit in the freezer and serving it with the caviar--even better than champagne with caviar.

Interesting! I had not thought of toast points but it sounds good. When I'm in CR they give me a couple of bilinis and two pieces of melba toast (I like the melba toast but not the belinis). I like all of the "fixins" with an equal amount of caviar (or what Regent considers caviar). A sort of interesting off topic comment........ when we were in St. Petersburg for a "special" birthday", we did a non-Regent caviar excursion (quite pricey as one would expect). They served four giant mountains of different caviar with belinis and the correct accompaniments with a lot of vodka. While I enjoy caviar very much, this was over the top but I couldn't image not finishing it because it was costing my DH so much $$$. When we got back to the ship, they were serving Russian caviar but I couldn't even look at it:-)

ronrick: No vodka - only champagne on Sundays. However, there are nights when Regent sells good quality caviar in the Observation Lounge and you can get all of the vodka that you want.

I vote with those who enjoy serving themselves, and who find Oceania's use of servers annoying. I'm allergic to chocolate, and I basically gave up on having desserts from the Oceania buffet. I never could get across the point that the servers couldn't serve me with the utensils that had just been used to serve a chocolate dessert. At one point I got careless, didn't ask the server to use a fresh set of tongs, and ended up back in my room taking an antihistamine and having to lie down for awhile. That definitely soured me on Oceania's buffets.

BTW, the only time I experienced a norovirus outbreak (which, luckily, didn't include either of us), with more than 10 days of Code Red on a Transatlantic cruise, was on the Oceania Marina last year. Obviously, not allowing self service on the buffet didn't prevent noro.

I am so glad I am not alone being allergic to chocolate. I developed this allergy at a later stage when I was a kid and I loved chocolate. The reaction I had was breaking out in a rash. People have different reactions. I feel your pain.