Shore Excursion Discount

GlennG

I, recently, learned that my wife and I have been given some "value -added items" to our latest Holland America booking. We have been given shore excursion discounts. I have made a couple of on-line reservations for shore excursions and have paid for these excursions as this is the policy of Holland America Line. Here are the questions: When you receive these value added perks, are all excursions included for discount? Secondly, when can I expect the discount? Thirdly, do Holland America excursions provide good value for the money paid? (I believe that I've paid full price for the booked excursions.) Thank you for any information that might be forthcoming.

I, recently, learned that my wife and I have been given some "value -added items" to our latest Holland America booking. We have been given shore excursion discounts. I have made a couple of on-line reservations for shore excursions and have paid for these excursions as this is the policy of Holland America Line. Here are the questions: When you receive these value added perks, are all excursions included for discount? Secondly, when can I expect the discount? Thirdly, do Holland America excursions provide good value for the money paid? (I believe that I've paid full price for the booked excursions.) Thank you for any information that might be forthcoming.

Earlier this year I booked a cruise which offered shore excursion discounts. Based on this experience (which may be different than your situation) I can report that we only received 5-10% discounts on SOME shore excursions. The discount was shown on the online booking form and again on the receipt I received from HAL.

As to value, that is a tough one. Personally, I have found most excursions to offer a decent value, but of course private vendors usually are less expensive. However, I like the convenience of booking with HAL, as it is easy to book/change/cancel plus I know that HAL will take care of us if the excursion runs late (last cruise the bus broke down and we were almost 2 hours late). ALSO, by booking HAL excursions, the money I spend counts towards Mariner points ($300 spent earns one point). Further, I often pay for HAL excursions using On Board Credits, which is nice.

OP, if your "value added" items were part of a promotion (I think it may have been the View & Verandah sale), the shore excursion discount was only available until mid Mar/16. The discount showed online with the full price in one colour (green, IIRC) and that was crossed out with a lower price (in red, IIRC) showing. If you booked by Mar/16, you got the discount. If you didn't, you cannot get it later.

I knowingly did not book my shorex for my Feb/17 cruise even though I booked under the promotion. As Dave mentioned, the discounts were not great and only applied to some shorex. Of course, the few that I was interested in were not discounted.:rolleyes:

ETA: I was able to confirm that it was the View & Verandah Sale that ran from early Dec/15 to Feb 29/16. Discounted shore excursions had to be booked by March 15/16.

Edited by Alberta Quilter

Earlier this year I booked a cruise which offered shore excursion discounts. Based on this experience (which may be different than your situation) I can report that we only received 5-10% discounts on SOME shore excursions. The discount was shown on the online booking form and again on the receipt I received from HAL.

As to value, that is a tough one. Personally, I have found most excursions to offer a decent value, but of course private vendors usually are less expensive. However, I like the convenience of booking with HAL, as it is easy to book/change/cancel plus I know that HAL will take care of us if the excursion runs late (last cruise the bus broke down and we were almost 2 hours late). ALSO, by booking HAL excursions, the money I spend counts towards Mariner points ($300 spent earns one point). Further, I often pay for HAL excursions using On Board Credits, which is nice.

OP, if your "value added" items were part of a promotion (I think it may have been the View & Verandah sale), the shore excursion discount was only available until mid Mar/16. The discount showed online with the full price in one colour (green, IIRC) and that was crossed out with a lower price (in red, IIRC) showing. If you booked by Mar/16, you got the discount. If you didn't, you cannot get it later.

I knowingly did not book my shorex for my Feb/17 cruise even though I booked under the promotion. As Dave mentioned, the discounts were not great and only applied to some shorex. Of course, the few that I was interested in were not discounted.:rolleyes:

ETA: I was able to confirm that it was the View & Verandah Sale that ran from early Dec/15 to Feb 29/16. Discounted shore excursions had to be booked by March 15/16.

Evidently, 'Shore Excursions' are now known as 'Journeys Ashore'! ;)