Using WHAT'S APP when out at sea...

travelwide

Has anyone had any experience in using the above app while out at sea?? I have used it from the U.S. to call friends in Athens and it works very well. Not sure how this will work during our day at sea. I have a family medical issue that is being performed the day we are at sea.

I know we can use the ships phone for $2.00 per minute and ATT service for $2.50 per minute. Looking for a less costly method. All you need is internet access by both parties for it to work.

Messaging works fine on board the ship. You do have to buy the internet package. It might be cheaper to make a call for a minute or two instead.

If you are already buying an internet package the whats app works great for messaging. The voice dialing with whats app is hit or miss.

If you have any other questions i will try to help. Have used whats app on all of our cruises.

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk

I used the What's APP recently on my Allure cruise. I used it primarily to communicate with family members who were on the ship with me. You will need the internet to use it, we purchased a Voom package.

Some of my family members have androids, so they could not use normal texting on wireless, so that is why What's APP worked for us. We had no issues.

I was hoping to use the voice option and not the messaging option. I have internet access to the Crown & Anchor status. My sister is having surgery and I would like to discuss it with her son via voice. What do you mean by hit or miss? I will be at sea this Friday and Saturday in Boston so I can speak to them then. Would like to know how the surgery goes on Friday while we are at sea. Appreciate a reply regarding the sketchy voice issue thanks so much.

I was hoping to use the voice option and not the messaging option. I have internet access to the Crown & Anchor status. My sister is having surgery and I would like to discuss it with her son via voice. What do you mean by hit or miss? I will be at sea this Friday and Saturday in Boston so I can speak to them then. Would like to know how the surgery goes on Friday while we are at sea. Appreciate a reply regarding the sketchy voice issue thanks so much.

The quality of the internet service varies. You might have a few minutes of good voice quality and then you might get disconnected. I'd buy the stream option to improve your chances.

Thanks Bob for the clarification. I will look into that. Being Diamond Plus I believe we get some type of discount. Hope we can meet the two of you some day on a cruise. You are so helpful to The Cruise Critic community. Good health and happy cruising.

Thanks Bob for the clarification. I will look into that. Being Diamond Plus I believe we get some type of discount. Hope we can meet the two of you some day on a cruise. You are so helpful to The Cruise Critic community. Good health and happy cruising.

You're welcome.

The D+ discount is $40 to $60 (varies by ship) off a package OR two 24-hour periods of free unlimited internet.